Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted

Woefully poor day for high summer. How different to this time last week, felt we've skipped a couple of months. Drab, overcast wet skies and cool with it. Miserable. Not a Friday feeling at all! 

• Like 5

Posted
9 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Another miserable day here. 14C, thick cloud, gloomy. Feels very un-summery, esspecially after the heat last week. At least it's dry though it looks like it could rain at any moment. Thin duvet back on the bed last night, and windows closed today.

Enjoy it is what you asked for and deserve.  

Posted
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Woefully poor day for high summer. How different to this time last week, felt we've skipped a couple of months. Drab, overcast wet skies and cool with it. Miserable. Not a Friday feeling at all! 

Ditto Saturday morning. Thank goodness my outdoor activities were last weekend!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Can’t speak for the rest of the region but it’s taking it’s time to brighten up here.

Just come back from a couple of hours walk and IMO this is the worse type of weather, damp enough to need a jacket but too warm to wear one.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Well here in Corton, the first torrential shower of the day is over me as I type.

I note a weather warning ⚠️ for ⛈ storms was issued at 10.40 bst

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Another miserable day here, thick cloud, breezy, damp feel and currently 15.5C with 83% humidity. Not a glimpse of sunshine all day. Yesterday's max was 15.3C, again overcast all day, which is the average high for May here, not late July! Thursday's max was even lower at 13.9C. What I would expect in April or October! Expect 20-21C at this time of year.

It feels like we have swapped our summer for a Lerwick or a Stornoway one.

BBC Weather overestimated the temps again yesterday, forecasting a high of 19C today yesterday, in reality it has only briefly reached 16.6C today, and it has been thick cloud all day not "light cloud" as they forecast.

I find the weather apps (esspecially the BBC) tend to underestimate the temps by 1-2C during a heatwave but overestimate them when it comes to cool Atlantic spells.

For example:

Yesterday's forecast:

417288519_BBCforecast30-07-21.thumb.jpg.ab24ec2de601727e08f48e128f80725a.jpg

Today's forecast:

157313893_BBCforecast31-07-21.thumb.jpg.7bd5528f8e5c2935c9a5fecbf7498ec2.jpg

Looks a bit better early next week, before a deteroation again. Roll on September when high pressure usually makes a comeback (but without the excessive heat, humidity or warm nights you get in high summer).

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
15 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Enjoy it is what you asked for and deserve.  

I'll admit I am one that is hard to please when it comes to the weather, esspecially in summer, but I do not want a mediterrean summer where it is high 20's and sunny, but niether do I want a Shetland/Orkney one where it is 13-15C, overcast and drizzly/raining most of the time.

A happy medium of sun and clouds, 20-23C and a pleasant breeze is my favourite weather conditions for mid summer. Anything above 24C, too hot, anything below 17/18C, too cold, esspecially if the sun isn't shining (which it usually isn't with those temps).

Btw, what happened to those days where we have brisk westerly winds, but sunny and cool with temps 15-19C that we often get in the summer in a westerly flow between weather systems? We normally get quite a lot of days like that, in the summer, but they have been missing this year.

• Like 5

Posted

Just been fishing onOulton Broad for 2 1/2 hours. Thunderstorms uncomfortably close to my North and South but I survived and had 5 fish.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
23 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Dry but cloudy start to the day. However now seems to be brightening up a bit although a few threatening clouds still around. 

Yeah it’s turning into a brighter day than yesterday.

hardly wall to wall sunshine so far but an improvement on Saturdays wall to wall cloud.

• Like 5

Posted

Each time it threatens to brighten up here another band of cloudier weather rolls in from the North... spots of wetness showing on radar but mostly dry here....18c in cloud obviously not as warm as a sun-baked 18c.  Reasonable start to the week, shoddy end...probably better mid-month?

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, dodge said:

Each time it threatens to brighten up here another band of cloudier weather rolls in from the North... spots of wetness showing on radar but mostly dry here....18c in cloud obviously not as warm as a sun-baked 18c.  Reasonable start to the week, shoddy end...probably better mid-month?

Aye, it’s been far from a write off weekend but a poor effort for mid summer all the same.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Should skies clear then tonight could actually be a bit on the cool side for August but not unheard of. Might see low temps easily into the single digits inland.

• Like 4

Posted

Did an early stint on Oulton Broad for a few hours. 14 fish, Roach / Bream. Nice start weather wise then the clouds rolled in and I got soaked.

Piccy of Bream approx 3.5lb

20210801_053134.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

It has been an OK weekend. Feels warm in the sun today. 

It has certainly warmed up a bit since this morning, despite the absence of sunshine here. The grass was completely dry when I cut it this afternoon, and ditto the washing when we brought it in from the line.

• Like 6

Posted

Back home from Kent today…. Really torrential thunderstorms yesterday late afternoon… constant booming thunder and lightening…. Other than that and torrential rain overnight we were lucky with the weather 22-25c and feeling hot anytime sun came out… amazing catchup with friends and family beside the seaside… even managed cooking paella at the beach hut ?  and swimming in the sea everyday 

E636E62F-B037-4906-AB39-7F5A2D6C1DC8.jpeg

F3A3BAB3-6E06-478B-B70D-C4668711798F.jpeg

A98F066B-AF9B-4EAD-B4A3-027468E886C2.jpeg

A760194C-923B-4203-BE23-3D7D7F29A173.jpeg

1685FE34-CB41-496E-B2E1-6C2D5FDD3DDB.jpeg

5F6CBB25-00ED-46A6-B926-C897CFCC21D8.jpeg

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 7

Posted

A decent day. Temperatures hardly noteworthy for high summer, but under the sunshine it felt warm. Stayed dry which is the main thing.

Next 2 to 3 days promise more of the same, so a fairly good opening to August on the cards but deteriorating Thursday onwards.

• Like 6

Posted
7 hours ago, iand61 said:

Aye, it’s been far from a write off weekend but a poor effort for mid summer all the same.

It's been very similar to last weekend weather-wise, dry, mostly cloudy, but about 4 degrees cooler. Sunday again brighened up in the evening here, yet another Sunday this summer where that has happened. Those 4 degrees really make all the difference though, felt a lot cooler than last weekend.

7 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Should skies clear then tonight could actually be a bit on the cool side for August but not unheard of. Might see low temps easily into the single digits inland.

It's into single digits here already, currently 9.8C, was 14C at 9 pm. Coolest night for quite a while.

7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

It has been an OK weekend. Feels warm in the sun today. 

Not much sun here! Only one hour of sun today at higham. 

2 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Back home from Kent today…. Really torrential thunderstorms yesterday late afternoon… constant booming thunder and lightening…. Other than that and torrential rain overnight we were lucky with the weather 22-25c and feeling hot anytime sun came out… amazing catchup with friends and family beside the seaside… even managed cooking paella at the beach hut ?  and swimming in the sea everyday 

E636E62F-B037-4906-AB39-7F5A2D6C1DC8.jpeg

F3A3BAB3-6E06-478B-B70D-C4668711798F.jpeg

A98F066B-AF9B-4EAD-B4A3-027468E886C2.jpeg

A760194C-923B-4203-BE23-3D7D7F29A173.jpeg

1685FE34-CB41-496E-B2E1-6C2D5FDD3DDB.jpeg

5F6CBB25-00ED-46A6-B926-C897CFCC21D8.jpeg

Lovely photos, beautiful weather. Looks like you had a really great time.

It's been a very medicore weekend here. Saturday was completely overcast with thick cloud and a high of just 16.6C. Today, slightly better, high of 17.4C, lighter cloud, no wind and a few glimpses of sun. Only 1 hour of sun at higham weather station though, probably about the same here. Again like most Sunday's this summer the best of the sunshine was in the evening, although it was a cool evening, down to 14C by 9 pm. There was a nice sunset at least.

So an average high temp of 17C (about 3C below average) and only 1 hour of sun this weekend. The only good thing about it was that at least it stayed dry.

• Like 2

Posted

Have to say the outlook doesn't look too bad really. Temps 18-20, a mix of sun and clouds, the odd shower. I've certainly seen worse weather in August.

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for BB8.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
4 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Cloudy but dry and fairly warm this morning. All-in-all a bit nondescript but at least it's not raining or blowing a summer gale!

We've had far worse summers that's for sure in our region. Can do any activity in this weather.

• Like 6

Posted

Dry, mostly cloudy and currently 18C. Very "meh" weather but acceptable for me and usable.

• Like 3

Posted

In Norwich today. Nice weather and around 72 degrees. 

The tree in the foreground is a Catalpa, not something I've seen in the North West. Dippy thr Dinosaur is in the Cathedral, far away from Rochdale. 

20210802_133256.jpg

20210802_133932.jpg

• Like 7