Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
10 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

What a result for England - I think we are allowed a victory over the Germans in a modern major competition. About bloody time. Have to say the Germans weren't a patch on their 2014 world cup performances. I think we would have struggled against that well oiled machine. But non the less we played well. And it's either Sweden or Ukraine next for us. I think we've got a good chance of winning the whole thing now. Just got to get rid of the favourites Italy and Belgium which won't be easy.

Yes, amazing. Finally broken the psychological barrier after all these years. The draw is definitely open for us to reach the final, but we mustn't make the fatal mistake of underestimating the opposition on the way. I don't think that's likely with Southgate. He's very measured.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Dexter said:

Yes, amazing. Finally broken the psychological barrier after all these years. The draw is definitely open for us to reach the final, but we mustn't make the fatal mistake of underestimating the opposition on the way. I don't think that's likely with Southgate. He's very measured.

You say measured I say drab. You saw today what Grealish brings. We won’t win the thing being defensive so at some point he’s going to have to come out of his comfort zone.

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

You say measured I say drab. You saw today what Grealish brings. We won’t win the thing being defensive so at some point he’s going to have to come out of his comfort zone.

Grealish should definitely have started, but they got the job done. Kane defo needed that goal. I'd take measured any day if we can reach the final. I certainly wouldn't say it was drab, far from. It was a professional performance. They got the job done. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

First 15 mins we were a bit shaky but after that we didn't do too badly. Defended when it mattered but was clinical on the counter. Sometimes being too attacking can leave you wide open against the better sides so I think Southgate got things right with a good balance.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

First 15 mins we were a bit shaky but after that we didn't do too badly. Defended when it mattered but was clinical on the counter. Sometimes being too attacking can leave you wide open against the better sides so I think Southgate got things right with a good balance.

They took a time to settle, but that is understandable after so many consecutive losses in knockout stages in competitions against Germany. It was a huge match. If they had gone all out attack and lost, you can imagine the criticism that would follow. It's an impossible job being England manager sometimes!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Dexter said:

They took a time to settle, but that is understandable after so many consecutive losses in knockout stages in competitions against Germany. It was a huge match. If they had gone all out attack and lost, you can imagine the criticism that would follow. It's an impossible job being England manager sometimes!

Yes now we've got that German bogey man out of the way we can concentrate on going as far as we can. 

• Like 4

Posted

Daughter and I went for a bit if a drive round after the match.  Folks outside pubs, cheering in the streets here, cars going by honking their horns including ourselves.  There's a good atmosphere out there tonight not just Macc, but nationwide.

• Like 6

Posted

After a short spell of rain on Monday evening, it was a less dull day yesterday than of late with plenty of sunshine and very warm. A similar day looks likely today, but looks like an increasing risk of showers as we go into the weekend and metoffice mention the risk of showers turning thundery by Sunday.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
11 hours ago, Dexter said:

Feet firmly on the ground for me we are so boring but get the job done 

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

I would have thought you NWers would be gloating in the fact you you are again top of the max temps chart with Liverpool No 1 and Keswick close behind at No 10. 

Possibly the best region so far this summer. Would not be surprised that some localities have had the driest June for many a year ( thinking  of parts of the Dales and North Pennines ) . Will be interesting to see the nationwide sunshine and rainfall charts when issued for June. NW/SE divide.

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Real possibility that regionally, it could be the the driest June since 1942

3rd driest April, 2nd wettest May, possibly 6th/7th driest June

Certainly feels that way locally. 

WWW.WUNDERGROUND.COM

Weather Underground provides local & long-range weather forecasts, weather reports, maps & tropical weather conditions for locations worldwide.

shows <15mm rain this month, that's drier than April and a mere tenth of what January delivered.

• Like 1

Posted

Cloud has finally broken up a bit better over the last hour. But has been another rather dull day for the most part. Should start warming up more now with these cloud breaks.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
12 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Real possibility that regionally, it could be the the driest June since 1942

3rd driest April, 2nd wettest May, possibly 6th/7th driest June

I wonder how good it’s been for sunshine though? My guess is it will finish slightly below average. That has been the let down this much. The temperatures have been near perfect, the odd cool day but nothing too oppressive, just comfortable temperatures in the high teens and low 20’s. But sunshine has been disappointing, especially given how dry and warm it has been. Its also been too dry in my opinion, and I’m yet to hear even a rumble of thunder this summer. Not enough variety this month to keep me interested.

2 hours ago, carinthian said:

I would have thought you NWers would be gloating in the fact you you are again top of the max temps chart with Liverpool No 1 and Keswick close behind at No 10. 

Possibly the best region so far this summer. Would not be surprised that some localities have had the driest June for many a year ( thinking  of parts of the Dales and North Pennines ) . Will be interesting to see the nationwide sunshine and rainfall charts when issued for June. NW/SE divide.

C

I guess people aren’t gloating because we’ve had nothing remarkable. Temperatures have been warm yes, but nothing exceptional. The only reason why the NW is the best is because the south’s weather is so poor at the moment. The sunshine has also been quite disappointing, at least here anyway. A lot of days have been pleasantly warm in the 20’s, but have been spoiled by cloud.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Been a nice couple of days here. 22°C and sun/clouds. Very benign weather at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I wonder how good it’s been for sunshine though? My guess is it will finish slightly below average. That has been the let down this much. The temperatures have been near perfect, the odd cool day but nothing too oppressive, just comfortable temperatures in the high teens and low 20’s. But sunshine has been disappointing, especially given how dry and warm it has been. Its also been too dry in my opinion, and I’m yet to hear even a rumble of thunder this summer. Not enough variety this month to keep me interested.

I guess people aren’t gloating because we’ve had nothing remarkable. Temperatures have been warm yes, but nothing exceptional. The only reason why the NW is the best is because the south’s weather is so poor at the moment. The sunshine has also been quite disappointing, at least here anyway. A lot of days have been pleasantly warm in the 20’s, but have been spoiled by cloud.

I think sunshine amounts will vary across the region but think you will be pleasantly surprised when the Met Office publish the June graphics. At a guess , June will end up not as cool and wet as normal. Westerly or North or west is horrible for your location and makes summers rather dismal. Looking at the synoptics so far over the past 3 months , your location has done ok , apart from May which had widespread cold and rain throughout the whole of Europe and in my location snow !

C

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Plenty of threatening looking clouds about now but no sign of rain, even on the radar but still a not the best end to what has been a lovely summers day.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Plenty of threatening looking clouds about now but no sign of rain, even on the radar but still a not the best end to what has been a lovely summers day.

Agreed a frustrating evening locally with this long, narrow cloud that has popped up the past couple of hours. Can see it's glorious to the east and west of here. 

Screenshot_20210630-182303_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Another lovely summers day here. Not quite as warm as Monday or Tuesday. Max 22 degrees and a light breeze. Ideal outdoor conditions. The sun is super strong at this time of year don't need high 20s, low 30s to make it feel very warm.

Couple more akin days ahead, cloudier on Saturday still warm. Change on Sunday..

• Like 5

Posted

One thing that is unifying across the region is dryness. Apart from Monday afternoon/evening it has been a very dry month. The south of the country has been dogged with these southerly tracking systems. Very early but does this bode well for later on in the year? Who knows.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
16 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

One thing that is unifying across the region is dryness. Apart from Monday afternoon/evening it has been a very dry month. The south of the country has been dogged with these southerly tracking systems. Very early but does this bode well for later on in the year? Who knows.

Yeah, I’m sure those in the Mad thread would give anything for the last couple of tasty channel lows to head a few hundred miles further north.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

More likely to see southerly lows in April- June. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well if we got this synoptic setup in the winter then the south would be cold and snowy while we would just be dry and mostly sunny. So maybe a sign of things to come next winter?

• Like 2