Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Misty murky day with drizzle in the air.

Yesterday was pleasant and I got to finish some outdoor jobs.

• Like 4

Posted

Congrats passing your Driving Test is one of life's great moments, I think we call all remember (those that drive) that feeling.

Today mostly cloudy, but suns breaking through now and rain not forecast until late this evening.  The radar has it mighty close out to the west.  Think it might arrive here a few hours earlier than forecast.

• Like 7

Posted

I was due to take my test in Surrey on 16th September 1968, but the day before was the day of the 1968 Surrey Floods, and needless to say, I didn't make it to the test centre in Redhill. I took the test some 6 weeks later in Sutton and passed, and am still on the road 53 years later.

Yes, sun has decided to make a late entry but will the clouds part sufficiently to be able to see the Super Moon tonight? 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Todays weather has been very benign. Very thick fog early in the morning, thick cloud until mid afternoon, suns been out since, currently 17°, breezy. 

Westerlies in summer tend to bring the most unremarkable conditions - average to cool temps, breezy, mix of sun, cloud, showers, drizzle etc.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Some pretty extreme weather across western north America continuing. Looks like it's the Pacific Northwest's turn with Vancouver looking like beating their all time record high temp either on Sunday or Monday. Look at this anomaly with the 850's over 20C above normal. You don't often see this. That's like us having 27C uppers over our area as our average at this time of year is about 6C.

gfs-vancouver-ca-49n-123.thumb.jpeg.8390be974320bed3e1258088a12008a5.jpeg

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted
15 hours ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I had my driving test today in Buxton today and the weather decided to throw the worst of what it could do at me this morning, from low-cloud and heavy fog over the Goyt tops to torrential rain by the time I got to the test center. Luckily perseverance and a break in-between the rain allowed me to carry out a near flawless drive resulting in a pass. 

As I mentioned to the examiner during the follow-up chat, I want to be out chasing storms so a little bit of rain isn't going to phase me in the future 

My stepson is also in Buxton today to take his test.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

Fingers crossed for him. Not sure about Buxton but a good morning for taking driving tests here in Crewe - dry and quite mild, cloudy but not misty and no sun to cause problems in the windscreens when turning corners.  

• Like 2

Posted

At 9 GMT collected 23.1mm for the rain yesterday eve and overnight.   Puddles are back but the plants are bouncing and  birds singing.  So far the rain is missing us this morning.   We've had enough for now thanks.

Passed my driving test in Jan 1964 midst falling snow in Blackburn.   Examiner asked me  what would I do in a skid on ice.  I hadn't a clue.   But passed nevertheless. 

Never been in such a situation.  Avoid going out in such conditions.  But I have been a passenger in a vehicle when we we went down an icy hill sideways.  Unforgettable. 

• Like 4

Posted
27 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

At 9 GMT collected 23.1mm for the rain yesterday eve and overnight.   Puddles are back but the plants are bouncing and  birds singing.  So far the rain is missing us this morning.   We've had enough for now thanks.

Passed my driving test in Jan 1964 midst falling snow in Blackburn.   Examiner asked me  what would I do in a skid on ice.  I hadn't a clue.   But passed nevertheless. 

Never been in such a situation.  Avoid going out in such conditions.  But I have been a passenger in a vehicle when we we went down an icy hill sideways.  Unforgettable. 

Wow, we've had little or no meaningful rain here in the south of the region, and whilst I would prefer a continuation of the dry theme, I can see why rain is needed, with grass starting to turn brown despite the absence of any heat in the air.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny
25 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Wow, we've had little or no meaningful rain here in the south of the region, and whilst I would prefer a continuation of the dry theme, I can see why rain is needed, with grass starting to turn brown despite the absence of any heat in the air.

Had about 3 hours steady rain here last night, plus a couple of hours on Saturday night.

• Like 2

Posted

Some useful rain since yesterday evening, preety much constant throughout and a few more hours left. Will do the plants good after nearly 4 weeks of barely more than a light drizzle. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Cool, grey, breezy and miserable today. Weather matches how I feel. Most of this week has been thick cloud with no warmth. Next week looks like a return of summer.

• Like 4

Posted
8 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Fingers crossed  it was definitely a challenging morning if those taking tests were expecting clear skies and dry tarmac like we've had over the past few weeks (something I was apprehensive about yesterday but put at the back of my mind), my folks have been down to B&Q passing five-ways earlier on and mentioned there was plenty of L platers around.

It doesn't look like there much in the way of storms or any convective potential for us in the NW this weekend or week ahead as its certainly been a quiet storm season this year where i've not even seen any distant lightning around, i'm trying to rack my mind thinking of the last time we had any lightning/thunder and it's got to have been around March/April.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Fingers crossed  it was definitely a challenging morning if those taking tests were expecting clear skies and dry tarmac like we've had over the past few weeks (something I was apprehensive about yesterday but put at the back of my mind), my folks have been down to B&Q passing five-ways earlier on and mentioned there was plenty of L platers around.

It doesn't look like there much in the way of storms or any convective potential for us in the NW this weekend or week ahead as its certainly been a quiet storm season this year where i've not even seen any distant lightning around, i'm trying to rack my mind thinking of the last time we had any lightning/thunder and it's got to have been around March/April.

Well the weather allowed me to complete the concreting of an Oxford lock on the drive. 

Unfortunately, my stepson failed his first attempt at the test. He's dispondant but I said, you'll pass it eventually. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

Well the weather allowed me to complete the concreting of an Oxford lock on the drive. 

Unfortunately, my stepson failed his first attempt at the test. He's dispondant but I said, you'll pass it eventually. 

Awh no that's gutting, coming from someone who passed second-time and very nearly quit after not passing the first i'd recommend him to rebook asap and get back out on the road in all weathers to get a little more practice in. I was confident after just 30 hours but in hindsight it's experience that's the best teacher. On a plus note before Autumn the DVSA are looking at introducing longer examination hours to allow 20,000 more tests per month so keep looking out for dates as i've heard they could be starting as early as 6am, finishing at 6pm.

• Like 6

Posted

Sorry to hear that Had Worse. Fingers crossed for next time. We eventually had some steady rain this afternoon which has freshened up the garden already. But this has moved away and now dry but cloudy and a bit gloomy. Not a bit summer-y in my view. Hoping for better tomorrow and Sunday and more of the same into next week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

No higher than 13C here today which is a bit parky compared to what we've had this month. Certainly looking warmer tomorrow with hopefully more in the way of sun.

• Like 2

Posted

@SNOW_JOKE We have been a bit lacking with some thunder for our neck of the woods, 3rd May I saw two brights flashes and heard a loud rumble, then on the  11th May heard distant rumbles from a cell out Buxton way.  I bet you're itching for a chase now you've passed your driving test, well done.  Chilly start this a.m local weather station 10°c , garden thermometer 9°c.  Cloud clearing now, temps will climb.  Glad for the rain recently, my plants were even happier, but would like to see warmer temps now.

IMG_20210626_055746.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just got back from 5 days away, the first 4 of them down south and the weather could be best described as mixed.

warm when the sun was out but plenty of cloud and Monday was pretty much a washout.

Looks like the same pattern over the next few days as well with the north getting the better conditions while our friends in the south get another of their fabled Southerly tracking lows which seem to be arriving like buses at the moment.

• Like 5