Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Rain Lady said:

Grand weather this year for these longest days, but there's a chilly wind at times. Thermals on again to go watering the garden. There's an old saying up here that Midsummer can be as cold as Christmas.  I remember one midsummer -- I think 1971 -- visitors from London came to stay and couldn't keep warm.  Overcoats, gloves and scarves borrowed. 

Can be a tiring and busy time of year.  Long light evenings and dry weather bring a temptation to work till (dark?).     Then woken up with birds chattering at silly o'clock.   But better than gloom and rain, though a few showers in the night would be welcome.

Thermals? Really?? I’ve been in shorts and a t-shirt most days this month and the bedroom window has been open from morning till dusk. A couple of light blankets on the bed. This is one of the warmest June’s I can remember (certainly as warm as June 2018). I barely wear a coat in winter anymore they’re so mild now.

1 hour ago, PennineMark said:

What a beautiful evening its turned into and what a good month its been. Can't remember any rain 19 days in. Hope it continues. 

20210619_190312.jpg

Yes it’s definitely been warmer and sunnier than expected, forecast was for 19°C and cloud but it’s been mostly sunny and reached 20°C according to my phone. When I went out this afternoon it felt quite a bit hotter than that. Must be the strong June sun.

There seems to be quite a dry, tired, dusty feel in the air. Hoping we get some decent rain tommorow, the garden does need it but even the forecast rain for tommorow is getting less and less every time I check my weather app. Those rain/shower symbols it was forecasting for next week have disappeared. After tommorow no more rain forecast until Thursday.

This is Lancashire, not California. It’s supposed to rain in the summer! ☔

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 5

Posted

It's  been beautiful all day here, a bit  of a stiff breeze at times but lovely.  Went out a meal with my daughter, the first meal out in absolute months, The Bulls Head, just outside Prestbury.  Noticed these Kelvin Helmholtz type clouds, if you zoom in you can see a definite wave pattern.  What do you make of them?

20210619_172802.jpg

20210619_172636.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

A decent day, felt very warm in the strong sunshine, max of about 20 degrees. The dry theme continues, nothing overly wet for the foreseeable, but perhaps alot of cloud rather than sunshine with winds switching more from the west or north west. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Finally, some rain.

Hopefully will be enough to perk the grass verges up that are starting to go straw coloured.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 7

Posted

Rain finally makes it June appearance here.  Overnight as well, how considerate it's being.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Had about 7-8mm fall looking at local gauges. It's something.

Still raining but light now.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Forecast has been pretty much spot so far with overnight rain clearing to damp earlier this morning and now trying to brighten up.

hopefully an improving picture as the afternoon goes on and the start of a gradual improvement over the coming days, mainly dry although certainly no heatwave but usable weather for my week off work.

• Like 6

Posted

What a difference a couple of hours makes. Cloudy all day but then full sun now. Currently 17°C. ☀️

I’ve noticed the sunniest part of the day tends to be in the evenings. Better than having the sun in the mornings I suppose before I wake up. The downside is that my room faces north so it gets the evening sun and makes it very warm at night in summer.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
12 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

What a difference a couple of hours makes. Cloudy all day but then full sun now. Currently 17°C. ☀️

I’ve noticed the sunniest part of the day tends to be in the evenings. Better than having the sun in the mornings I suppose before I wake up. The downside is that my room faces north so it gets the evening sun and makes it very warm at night in summer.

I’ve lost count of the number of poor Sunday’s where the sun puts an appearance in right at the end.

• Like 4

Posted

Countryfile BBC forecast mentioned Keswick has just seen 3% of its annual June average rainfall, one ir two other places on same amount, compared to I think Oadiham in Hampshire who has seen twice it's normal rainfall so far.. rainfall anomaly maps will make for interesting viewing, I think there was one this year possibly March that showed a similar difference, that time we were under the very high rainfall shading. 

• Like 4

Posted

2021 rain reminder in mms - from the daily manual gauge here.

Jan 302.6 (record since recording started in Sep 1968)

Feb 132,5

Mar 162.9

Apr 19.4

May 154.5

June so far ... 4.4

Spring water still running, but endless watering need for garden vegs.

• Like 3

Posted

Dull and overcast today here in East Lancs, and feeling cool at only 14°. Yesterday was cloudy to until the evening when the Sun came out, but even under the cloud it was still brighter than today.  Looks to only be a one day blip though as after today we are back to 18/19° and a mixture of sun/clouds. Still no rain though, only had a tiny bit on Sunday morning, grass dry today. Looking at the BBC weather forecast the rain symbol is which was forecast for later in the week has disappeared again. The drought conditions continue here.

To be honest I’m not feeling well today after coming down with a cold, so the weather can do what it likes for all I care.

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

2021 rain reminder in mms - from the daily manual gauge here.

Jan 302.6 (record since recording started in Sep 1968)

Feb 132,5

Mar 162.9

Apr 19.4

May 154.5

June so far ... 4.4

Spring water still running, but endless watering need for garden vegs.

It’s very strange how we keep leapfrogging between very dry and very wet conditions. I’m surprised the winter was so wet though. The winter before definitely felt wetter than this winter just gone with all the Atlantic weather systems and non-stop rain. But apparently this winter has been even wetter than last winter. Certainly not felt that way. But the stats don’t lie I guess.

• Like 3

Posted

Current temp 14 degrees on the longest day! Poor indeed, not expecting much of a climb this afternoon. Average max late June about 18-19 degrees here. We reach our peak 20-21 degrees in months time. 

Another frontal feature that has just given cloud this month, no rain at all from this one. May see some light rain at times mid-week.

• Like 5

Posted

Farmland is like concrete at present.  Painful to walk on it all day.  Traditional meadows haven't much bulk yet so a SHORT spell of some warm rain would do good.  However the dryness is actually very welcome and allows some catch up with outdoor work after all the wet weather in record wet 2010 and wet early 2021.

• Like 4

Posted

Out all night, high up in the hills above Macc on an NLC watch, boy was it chilly.  Hung around to catch the first glows of sunrise, posted a photo but it does not really capture the beauty of it.  Current temp 17° , garden thermometer nudging 19°.  

20210621_031638.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, Rush2112 said:

Out all night, high up in the hills above Macc on an NLC watch, boy was it chilly.  Hung around to catch the first glows of sunrise, posted a photo but it does not really capture the beauty of it.  Current temp 17° , garden thermometer nudging 19°.  

20210621_031638.jpg

There was a glow in the sky all night last night here, thanks to the clear skies, moon and it being the shortest night of the year. Sky never went pitch black, was more of a very deep blue. Something southerners don’t get to see. In Scotland of course it’s even better, never goes darker than nautical twilight (light enough for ships to see the land).

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Yes I was awake gone 3 this morning with back pain and it was still rather light outside. Could certainly see the fields and trees a mile away into the distance. Of course we pay for it in December when a dull wet day can mean the lights are on all day!

• Like 3

Posted

A rather dull day until the last hour or so, skies have cleared rapidly and a nice sunny evening beckons. Cool with a current max 14.7 degrees. A notably chilly night ahead could be down to 5 degrees, many a milder night in January.

Tomorrow promises fine sunny weather, average temps.

We might see a bit of drizzly rain on Wednesday from yet another weak front from the NW, about the fifth one this month, the last 2 just brought cloud.

More weak fronts later in the week, perhaps a greater chance of some useful rain, before the azores high ridge back in again.

This is turning into an excellent June for outdoor activities, never too warm, mostly dry and sunny.

• Like 4

Posted

No such luck here in the south of the region where it is dark and gloomy, with lights on, at 7pm. No chance of 16 hours of sunshine, or whatever we could have had on this the longest day. As my dad would say, all downhill now until Christmas!  

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Rain Lady said:

Farmland is like concrete at present.  Painful to walk on it all day.  Traditional meadows haven't much bulk yet so a SHORT spell of some warm rain would do good.  However the dryness is actually very welcome and allows some catch up with outdoor work after all the wet weather in record wet 2010 and wet early 2021.

oops typo

record wet 2020 not 2010.

only a decade askew 

dry all today though did look like some drizzle wasn't far away

max got to 15.2 C 

• Like 2

Posted

2 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

No such luck here in the south of the region where it is dark and gloomy, with lights on, at 7pm. No chance of 16 hours of sunshine, or whatever we could have had on this the longest day. As my dad would say, all downhill now until Christmas!  

Not really. It doesn't really start getting properly cold until late October. There's still a long way to go. The warmest month, July is still ahead of us.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Even further S/E here, just a relief here it stayed dry, although sun was out at times

• Like 1