Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted

Another front that has squeezed itself out on arrival here. Rain radar showing nothing right now, but we have the lightest of fine drizzle dampening the ground. About the fourth time this has happened so far.. all indicative of how weak these frontal features are moving into relatively high pressure. Tends to only happen in the summer.

Now looks like Sunday might finally deliver some useful rain to these parts, not saying I want it, but a decent fall will help mother nature..

• Like 4

Posted

I see next week's weather app symbols are slowly being turned from the standard (sunny spells/cloud) status to low cloud/light rain...in a few days they'll probably all be changed to 'Heavy Rain'.  Oh well...we got a good first half of June in the bank at least.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
11 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes noticed how light it still was as I looked to west gone 11pm. Still see the sky now. It shows how far north we are, given anywhere above 45N is closer to the north pole than the equator. We are just over 53N.... so pretty far north. But obviously we pay for it in winter with not a lot of daylight near the winter solstice. Personally I don't like it too light or too dark so September time or the late March equivalent is perfect for me. 12 hours daylight and 12 hours night. No nasty early morning awakenings at this time of year through the light or birds chirping and no tired feeling in December as you try and wake up from the long dark mornings.

I have to say I love it when you can still see a bit of light in the sky at midnight. The sky at the moment is not going pitch black even at 1 am, more of a very deep blue tinge with some very noticeable brightness looking to the north.

I used to hate the dark winter mornings when I had to get up early in the morning, not anymore though so it doesn’t really bother me much. 

• Like 5

Posted

Southerners are getting into a frenzied state of excitement in the Storm thread.  Can't blame them they looked primed for some interesting incendiary spells of atmospheric calamities through the night.  We'll wake up to damp morning. 

Here and now...muggy, warm and sunny.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Still in the muggy warmth here in the SE of the region. Radar kicking off in northern France. Can't see any storms getting as far north as our region.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
24 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Still in the muggy warmth here in the SE of the region. Radar kicking off in northern France. Can't see any storms getting as far north as our region.

The metoffice warning hasn't changed, but I think you're probably right, maybe one or two showers later on overnight, but can't see anything electrical this far North/West.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, dodge said:

I see next week's weather app symbols are slowly being turned from the standard (sunny spells/cloud) status to low cloud/light rain...in a few days they'll probably all be changed to 'Heavy Rain'.  Oh well...we got a good first half of June in the bank at least.

Well the light rain symbols that were showing for today have gone the other way, so I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 4

Posted

25c here… said 31c on car dash on drive to town and was steady at 27c in Glossop earlier… feels quite humid and warm out there for walk to cricket club for being double dipped

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, damianslaw said:

A cool 16.4 degrees at present directly sat underneath the cold front. Marked NW-SE divide..

2 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

25c here… said 31c on car dash on drive to town and was steady at 27c in Glossop earlier… feels quite humid and warm out there for walk to cricket club for being double dipped

21C here, sunny intervals, feels very pleasant. Must be a big contrast in temps today across the country!

• Like 3

Posted

Very pleasant day today, plenty of sunshine and highs of a pleasant 21C. I would be very happy if this weather continued all summer.  After today though temps are looking very mediocre, 16-18C and sun/clouds with showers. That sort of in-between "meh" bit cool for a t-shirt bit warm for a jacket type weather.

WeatherBug Temperatures 16-06-21.png

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I have to say I love it when you can still see a bit of light in the sky at midnight. The sky at the moment is not going pitch black even at 1 am, more of a very deep blue tinge with some very noticeable brightness looking to the north.

I used to hate the dark winter mornings when I had to get up early in the morning, not anymore though so it doesn’t really bother me much. 

Don't mind at all getting up early for work in winter, if and when there has been a bit of snow over night, I'm the first to stamp my footprints in it.  Love walking to work and having this privilege.

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

15.8 degrees, now, a chilly summer's day overall, with max of just 16.4. Big contrasts.

Yeah, not just between NW/SE England but a big N/S split across the region, with a 10C temp difference between Windermere in the  Lake District and Glossop in Derbyshire! Something you very rarely see. Must be a very slow moving cold front! It's still partly cloudy here and 19C. It's a shame you haven't had a nice day where you are. Mind you, the weather often tends to be worse/difference where you are compared to other parts of the region as you often report.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yeah, not just between NW/SE England but a big N/S split across the region, with a 10C temp difference between Windermere in the  Lake District and Glossop in Derbyshire! Something you very rarely see. Must be a very slow moving cold front! It's still partly cloudy here and 19C. It's a shame you haven't had a nice day where you are. Mind you, the weather often tends to be worse/difference where you are compared to other parts of the region as you often report.

Yes Lake District own micro climate to itself, often different to the rest if England, generally more akin to N Ireland and more so SW Scotland. The cold front has stalled directly overhead.

• Like 5

Posted
4 hours ago, dodge said:

Southerners are getting into a frenzied state of excitement in the Storm thread.  Can't blame them they looked primed for some interesting incendiary spells of atmospheric calamities through the night.  We'll wake up to damp morning. 

Here and now...muggy, warm and sunny.

Yes, there's great enthusiasm on the storms thread at the moment, our region was dominant on there last June.  I've been watching some really beefy cumulus gaining height quite quickly, out east of Macc. beyond the cat and fiddle road this evening.  Had my second jab today.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Alas I think the storms are going to stay East of the pennines looking like Hampshire up to tyneside been the likely route.

C.S

• Like 4

Posted

So after a sunny and warm day it’s turned cooler, fresher and breezier as the front moves in. I never expected anything up here, even in the early days of this breakdown. Now I hold on to as little rain as possible from Saturday, fingers crossed, but it does look like Sunday is looking pretty wet.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, Darren Bown said:

So after a sunny and warm day it’s turned cooler, fresher and breezier as the front moves in. I never expected anything up here, even in the early days of this breakdown. Now I hold on to as little rain as possible from Saturday, fingers crossed, but it does look like Sunday is looking pretty wet.

Could do with a bit of rain really. Ground already looking dusty, tired and parched.

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Could do with a bit of rain really. Ground already looking dusty, tired and parched.

don’t jinx it or we may end up with a washout!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Darren Bown said:

Yes it went cool and cloudy at about 8 ish here. The front must have arrived but no rain on it. Probably no chance of thunder either as we are now into the cool air mass.

Tommorow forecast to be cloudy high 17°C.

Friday and Saturday forecast to be partly cloudy high 18°C.

Next week looks cool and showery.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A dry start to the day here with broken clouds and looks like we've missed the showers/rain by a whisker, the ppn skirting just to East, so the dry weather continues here. It may be Sunday before we see a reasonable prospect of rain again around here.

• Like 4

Posted

No rain overnight means we're into our fourth dry week in a row. The climate really seems to have changed to alternating droughts and washouts.

• Like 5