Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
9 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well the extreme heat has arrived in California. Nearly a week of temps above 50C in Death Valley from tomorrow. Any of you heat lovers relish this? ?️

Screenshot_20210614-204530.thumb.png.3604b5b699eb6f44502c180e4e23c2e6.png

The Minimum temperature is about my limit

C.S

• Like 2

Posted

It’s been much cooler today compared to yesterday, but it’ll be back to bring quite warm and humid tomorrow and Wednesday by the looks of things. Forecast heavy showers overnight on Wednesday but I just feel the NW England may be a bit too far north and west for anything spectacular.

• Like 3

Posted

Not looking good for storm prospects for some time.

It was a year ago yesterday, it all kicked off and we had our best thundery spell (well for a number places in the region) for some years

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well the extreme heat has arrived in California. Nearly a week of temps above 50C in Death Valley from tomorrow. Any of you heat lovers relish this? ?️

No thanks!!

I was in the Dordogne in France a few years back when there were record breaking temps in a few places in SW France. The temp was nudging 40C where we were staying on one day. Spent most of the time in the pool to keep cool. We had travelled up from the Pyrenees on that day and the temp in Lourdes had already reached 30C at 9AM. It was unbearably hot.  I can only imagine how utterly unbearable 50C would be.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Dexter said:

No thanks!!

I was in the Dordogne in France a few years back when there were record breaking temps in a few places in SW France. The temp was nudging 40C where we were staying on one day. Spent most of the time in the pool to keep cool. We had travelled up from the Pyrenees on that day and the temp in Lourdes had already reached 30C at 9AM. It was unbearably hot.  I can only imagine how utterly unbearable 50C would be.

It's ok, it's a dry heat 

image.thumb.png.aa2d8541233f4241bd79be0de9289d98.png

I didn't know UV index went that high.

image.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well don’t think I’ve ever seen a Weather Forecast with temperatures that high before! Highs of 50°C+ and lows of 30°C. The kind of extreme heat you’d only normally see on the equator. With the extreme UV and unbroken sun must feel like 100°C!  I guess that’s why they call it Death Valley! That kind of heat is deadly.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

It was a year ago yesterday, it all kicked off and we had our best thundery spell (well for a number places in the region) for some years

Amazing time lapse. Had a few rumbles and flashes last June but nothing as good as that here.  You can even see the stars slowly moving as well.

50 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

It's ok, it's a dry heat 

image.png

What’s the feels like temperature though? With the UV that I am I imagine any unprotected skin would go red in a few seconds.

2 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

What a picture  from above the storm.

C.S

FB_IMG_1623700460422.jpg

Looks absolutely terrifying! Did you take that? I’d be scared if I was on that plane lol.

• Like 3

Posted

In contrast Eureka just a few hundred miles west on the Californian coast has much more comfortable temperatures. Their average maximum in summer there is a mere 18°C, cooler than most places in our region. They are also the only city in America to never record a temperature of 90 Fahrenheit (32°C) . This is due to the cold Pacific Ocean. Amazing variety in summer temperatures in California.

077DBA88-3132-4009-B975-586723CAFD44.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, alr1970 said:

It's ok, it's a dry heat 

image.png

I think Eilat in Israel has one of the highest UV levels in the world at sea level. Usually 13 but I've seen an odd 14 sometimes in June. Sunburn within minutes I'd have thought. Similar in Sharm-El-Sheikh in Egypt. 

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Eilat 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

@East Lancs RainAlas not one of my pictures found it on FB from severe weather.

C.S

• Like 4

Posted

Metoffice warning has been updated for thunderstorms on Wednesday through to Thursday. No adjustment to warning area. I thought there might be an adjustment East, so still looking promising for parts of the region.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Dexter said:

Metoffice warning has been updated for thunderstorms on Wednesday through to Thursday. No adjustment to warning area. I thought there might be an adjustment East, so still looking promising for parts of the region.

TBH, I'd be happy with some decent rainfall. The soil is bone dry here after three weeks without measurable rain. My 4 waterbutts are all empty. Thunder would be a bonus (but not for my dog who gets more frightened of thunder (and fireworks) every year that goes by).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

A really nice summers day down here in S Cheshire this afternoon hazy sunshine and not too humid either - temperatures around 22c 

• Like 4

Posted
18 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Visited there when the temp on the car showed 115f about an hour before sun down...... Crazy heat.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
17 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Depends if we can get a shallow trough over us for a few days. At this time of year with, maximum solar heating, we can brew up our own strong convection. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A much better day today.

plenty of strong sunshine and a maximum of 22c her so not the silly heat of those down south.

Probably a bit of rain overnight, the best time for it and then the chance of storms for some tomorrow although it would suit me if I missed them and kept the sunshine.

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Depends if we can get a shallow trough over us for a few days. At this time of year with, maximum solar heating, we can brew up our own strong convection. 

I think a flabby summer  low is one the best set-ups for storms, saw that this time last year. 

BRA_1_2020061500_45.png

Plumes are too often brief and I think that was the problem during the 2010s, the region relied on plumes far too many times for any thunder chances. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3

Posted

A very pleasant day. Mostly sunny with highs of around 22°C.

• Like 3

Posted

In a selfish way I would like it to be quite pleasant from Saturday for a week while I have a holiday in the Llyn Peninsula, though it does look like it could turn changeable from Sunday. Fingers crossed it’s a blip or it’s short lived!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
49 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

In a selfish way I would like it to be quite pleasant from Saturday for a week while I have a holiday in the Llyn Peninsula, though it does look like it could turn changeable from Sunday. Fingers crossed it’s a blip or it’s short lived!

Off next week ourselves and booked a few days down south but as you say, it’s looking a bit more changeable but fingers crossed it’s still usable weather.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

I think a flabby summer  low is one the best set-ups for storms, saw that this time last year. 

BRA_1_2020061500_45.png

Plumes are too often brief and I think that was the problem during the 2010s, the region relied on plumes far too many times for any thunder chances. 

The plumes often look encouraging a few days out but often get shifted East as the event gets nearer as well. As you say, they are also often brief affairs. An in-situ low that sticks around can provide convective opportunities over a number of consecutive days in summer.

• Like 3

Posted

I'm going to make the most of tomorrow as after that it looks cool for a good week or so. It has been a very nice June though so can't really complain too much. Can't expect it to be dry and sunny throughout the summer this isn't the Algarve.

• Like 4

Posted
50 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I'm going to make the most of tomorrow as after that it looks cool for a good week or so. It has been a very nice June though so can't really complain too much. Can't expect it to be dry and sunny throughout the summer this isn't the Algarve.

I would be happy with average temperatures with showers. Just hope it’s not the drenchings and cold we were subjected to in May!

Edited by Darren Bown
  • Like 5

Posted

Crazy light levels at this time of the year, only now nearly 22:30 does it feel the day is drawing to a close and in 5 hours time it will be getting light again.  Nice warm feeling day today with plenty of Vitamin D being dished out with a subtle breeze to keep it comfortable outdoors.  Not expecting much storm activity here, despite being to the east of the region but I'm sure some rain will fall at some point.  So long as it doesn't stick in a rut, I'll welcome it for a few days.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, dodge said:

Crazy light levels at this time of the year, only now nearly 22:30 does it feel the day is drawing to a close and in 5 hours time it will be getting light again.  Nice warm feeling day today with plenty of Vitamin D being dished out with a subtle breeze to keep it comfortable outdoors.  Not expecting much storm activity here, despite being to the east of the region but I'm sure some rain will fall at some point.  So long as it doesn't stick in a rut, I'll welcome it for a few days.

Yes noticed how light it still was as I looked to west gone 11pm. Still see the sky now. It shows how far north we are, given anywhere above 45N is closer to the north pole than the equator. We are just over 53N.... so pretty far north. But obviously we pay for it in winter with not a lot of daylight near the winter solstice. Personally I don't like it too light or too dark so September time or the late March equivalent is perfect for me. 12 hours daylight and 12 hours night. No nasty early morning awakenings at this time of year through the light or birds chirping and no tired feeling in December as you try and wake up from the long dark mornings.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3