Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
11 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

A record 72% of the lower USA is currently snow-covered. (Records are only 18 years old).

bloombergquint%2F2018-08%2F3a8e2237-2edb
WWW.BLOOMBERGQUINT.COM

U.S. Snow Cover Reaches Record High Across Lower 48 States

Texas in particular has seen an incredible cold spell. Winters are very mild - warm there usually with daytime winter highs similar to the Mediterranean of around 14c- 19c with cold spells short lived and snow being rare. They really aren’t built for it there. It’s definitely been a Winter of extremes across the globe. We’ve got off quite lightly here in the UK by comparison.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 minute ago, Joe Snow said:

Texas in particular has seen an incredible cold spell. Winters are very mild - warm there usually with daytime winter highs similar to the Mediterranean of around 14c- 19c with cold spells short lived and snow being rare. They really aren’t built for it there. It’s definitely been a Winter of extremes across the globe. We’ve got off quite lightly here in the UK by comparison.  

Yet !

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
17 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Yet !

Yep a cold & snowy spell in March isn’t out of the question yet ❄️ 

• Like 3

Posted

Another dull drab dank day with rain at times. Bring back last week's sunshine please! It was a major mood booster, this week I feel as if we have slipped back into November, similar temperatures and feel, without the prospects of a long cold snowy winter, and christmas ahead. Alas we spring is around the corner, but when the weather is like this, I would rather we could just fast forward to March 21st.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Another dull drab dank day with rain at times. Bring back last week's sunshine please! It was a major mood booster, this week I feel as if we have slipped back into November, similar temperatures and feel, without the prospects of a long cold snowy winter, and christmas ahead. Alas we spring is around the corner, but when the weather is like this, I would rather we could just fast forward to March 21st.

Head up mate, I know the feeling. 

Its been a long road and one wonders where the end is, Ive just resorted to looking at my feet and putting one foot in front of the other rather than looking in the distance.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Bad news another Easterly fiasco brewing.

Good news its in FI 

C.S

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Bad news another Easterly fiasco brewing.

Good news its in FI 

C.S

Quite likely we’ll go cold early March. I was saying it in the MOD thread a week ago.

The last downwelling wave from the SSW is due about then.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Quite likely we’ll go cold early March. I was saying it in the MOD thread a week ago.

The last downwelling wave from the SSW is due about then.

Totally agree with what you were saying in the mod thread but TBH would rather take my chances with a potent Northerly than another Easterly obviously not to say we cannot get snow from the east but it would have to be more potent than the last one to deliver anything half decent here.

C.S

• Like 1

Posted

Last week near maximum sunshine levels, this week nil sunshine levels. Yes its mild, but mild in winter normally means grey, dank, gloom. I'm completely uninspired with current synoptics..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Mild is okay, as long as it's dry, sunny & not too windy. As already said, 'our' mild is normally a mixture of grey, wet & windy.......

• Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

Mild is okay, as long as it's dry, sunny & not too windy. As already said, 'our' mild is normally a mixture of grey, wet & windy.......

The curse of the SW airstream whatever the time of year, especially so here in S Cumbria. I can put up with it in the winter, but when it hangs around in July and August it is grating knowing most other parts are bright or sunny. 

Posted

A bit chilly in Texas yesterday yes Texas looks like a scene from the north Pole.

C.S

facebook_1613732803365_6768485952088291945.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Kept off the forum and charts this week hoping for an improvement today for cold chances early next month.

Theres a glimmer of hope, back in a few days.

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Ramp said:

Kept off the forum and charts this week hoping for an improvement today for cold chances early next month.

Yes unlike you like seeing charts showing one airstream predominating, on this occasion a SW one, this week has been a week for hibernating from the charts. Hopefully come next week there may be something different being shown, to shake things up.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

A bit chilly in Texas yesterday yes Texas looks like a scene from the north Pole.

C.S

facebook_1613732803365_6768485952088291945.jpg

Nothing that 300 cans of de-icer spray wont sort.

• Like 2

Posted

Yellow warning for rain in the Region tomorrow, with places like Cheshire and Merseyside set to be shielded from the worst of the weather. Dry but very blowy here today. No official warnings about wind from Storm Karim yet but likely to be v windy on the westward facing coasts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I know there's a lot of people on here who harp on about how strong the sun is in March but I disagree. Look how far south Memphis in the US is........ they're as far south as Morocco. They've had a UV of 6 today & yesterday but they've retained snow cover. The reason is deep cold air and very low dew points, this cancels out the sun strength over there. For us we need deep cold like that but it just doesn't happen often. 

Gracelands camera in Memphis showing the snow and icicles from the roof.

892292d7-6444-4ad5-bf38-586506ad1128_640
LIVESTREAM.COM

On Livestream

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
7 hours ago, Ramp said:

Yes I'll second that, still a glimmer. 

Not quite ready to give up just yet  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
11 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Yes I'll second that, still a glimmer. 

Not quite ready to give up just yet  

I’ve given up to it in the same way that I gave up to Burnley’s Premier League Title chances.

As you say though, there’s still a glimmer, of Burnley winning the league, not cold weather returning.

no surprise though to see that after suffering weeks of snow chances disappearing either north, south, east, or west that the rain has no problem reaching us.

normal service is resumed.

• Like 4

Posted
58 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I’ve given up to it in the same way that I gave up to Burnley’s Premier League Title chances.

As you say though, there’s still a glimmer, of Burnley winning the league, not cold weather returning.

no surprise though to see that after suffering weeks of snow chances disappearing either north, south, east, or west that the rain has no problem reaching us.

normal service is resumed.

Compare Burnley staying in the Premier League to Snow, sometime in March, there's a good chance that both will happen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Compare Burnley staying in the Premier League to Snow, sometime in March, there's a good chance that both will happen.

3 more points today and the chance of part 1 happening is looking better
As for part 2, I’d be surprised if we don’t see falling and possibly lying snowing again before we are done but knowing our luck, it has as much chance of happening when we reach spring as it does before this winter ends.

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Another sunless day likely, 8th on the trot. Hopefully tomorrow will bring something brighter... 

We've been more fortunate with the weather here in the south of the region, but today is pretty grim with wind and rain about all day so far. Looking forward to better tomorrow.

Posted
15 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

We've been more fortunate with the weather here in the south of the region, but today is pretty grim with wind and rain about all day so far. Looking forward to better tomorrow.

Forget the east wind..for S Cumbria we should say the SW wind 'is neither good for man nor beast'.. meaning it brings perpetual grey skies and general gloom.. it affects the mind more than anything, it is a mood hoover!

• Like 2