Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Dexter said:

All this hope, just to grab a dusting 

They take an age to arrive then when they do they last 10 seconds

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, Dexter said:

This is an agonising wait. It looks like a direct hit, but I just have this dread it's going to veer course or fizzle lol!

It really has been an incredibly frustrating spell in that regard.

Learning curve though - I think perhaps direct easterlies are better for some/most of the region , rather than an ENE’ly drift. Depends where you are of course. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I’ve been so so unlucky with the positioning of these showers. Missed most of them . This one just to my south looks quite pokey as well. 

I'm calling it a day snow wise here, has been more or less convectively dead since early afternoon and conditions are becoming unfavourable for snow getting here as times goes on.

One disappointing aspect with this easterly is there was no deep cold pool, if there was I think we would have done better, most areas would have in the UK. The showers would have been been more potent.

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Weather-history said:

I'm calling it a day snow wise here, has been more or less convectively dead since early afternoon and conditions are becoming unfavourable for snow getting here as times goes on.

One disappointing aspect with this easterly is there was no deep cold pool, if there was I think we would have done better, most areas would have in the UK. The showers would have been been more potent.

It was fairly deep I thought , -12c at 850 hPa in the North Sea? Not quite enough maybe. 

One thing I would say is that heights have never been particularly low . I think an easterly driven on by a massive scandy high with big blue colours on the pressure charts over the UK would have been better. 

I love the non-marginality with easterlies, but the shower distribution can be very very fickle. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Yes agree, time for a rest to get ready for Bli####d at the W##k##d.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

image.thumb.png.3c684551d5daf8929f0cadfc6121e700.png Maybe later.?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

If those charts for the weekend come off this will go down as the worst cold spell I've ever known.

I can still see the grass in the garden for crying out loud. 

I love hearing people enjoying a cold spell as we normally do on the wirral.  Most cold spells go by without getting any lying snow for us.  The last time we had a decent covering (greater than 1cm) was 2014.

We do occasionally get a covering, but you cant even make footprints in them theyre that light...

Edited by russwirral

Posted

@Day 10 and other Merseyside dwellers - the tables have turned since December/Jan. Your snow chances when this cold spell tries to break down will be way bigger than here. As soon as the wind veers to the SE we are snookered here in Manc. There is a REAL chance of a big snow event for you. Not saying it’s going to happen, but at least the risk is there. This airmass is COLD. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Still some snow cover left here from last night but in the sun south facing areas got zapped by it as there wasn't a deep cover. I'd give this easterly a 5/10. Even the one in late February 2005 during the "mild era" was better here, had 15cm one day from that spell. Feb 2009 was better as well with similar amounts. 2013 & 2018 too. This time round the showers have either been too light or too hit and miss. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

It was fairly deep I thought , -12c at 850 hPa in the North Sea? Not quite enough maybe. 

One thing I would say is that heights have never been particularly low . I think an easterly driven on by a massive scandy high with big blue colours on the pressure charts over the UK would have been better. 

That's what I was meaning the heights. 

2nd February 2009

image.thumb.png.21105dfc390510c82a3cd524c18ceace.png

January 1987

image.thumb.png.6fa1e57f83106b3d999ed6c998f5d56c.png

February 1991

image.thumb.png.3455803077c89ecd93cbd6bf80638086.png

February 1979

image.thumb.png.65f3b48c3aa3a04b63dda6d98eb5428a.png

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Even the one in late February 2005 during the "mild era" was better here, had 15cm one day from that spell.

That wasn't a great one here, to this day I can not figure out how to it managed to rain here when most of of northern England and the Midlands were getting snow from that low. (I think Joe Bloggs might remember this)  I was reading about reports on snow and the depths of it around NE Greater Manchester and I was reporting snow had turned to rain/sleet around this part, when something did fall from the sky, a lot of the time it was dry!

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

That's what I was meaning the heights. 

2nd February 2009

image.thumb.png.21105dfc390510c82a3cd524c18ceace.png

January 1987

image.thumb.png.6fa1e57f83106b3d999ed6c998f5d56c.png

February 1991

image.thumb.png.3455803077c89ecd93cbd6bf80638086.png

February 1979

image.thumb.png.65f3b48c3aa3a04b63dda6d98eb5428a.png

Absolutely right - I think that’s the main issue to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

That wasn't a great one here, to this day I can not figure out how to it managed to rain here when most of of northern England and the Midlands were getting snow from that low. (I think Joe Bloggs might remember this)  I was reading about reports on snow and the depths of it around NE Greater Manchester and I was reporting snow had turned to rain/sleet around this part, when something did fall from the sky, a lot of the time it was dry!

Remember it vividly. It started to snow the evening before the main event and we had a fairly good covering first thing but it turned to rain at about 9am, then it rained all day. Like you say Oldham and Rochdale were absolutely hammered. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Light-moderate snow shower passing through. First proper one of the day. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Joe Bloggs said:

Just had a really nice little snow shower, given a new covering. 

That just went north of me lol.. oh dear haha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Just about managed to get a light dusting from the shower as it moved through. It was only moderate in intensity. Better than nothing.

Posted

These showers are weird and I’d love to understand the physics involved.

This one intensified slightly over East Manchester.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
9 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Well this winter you've done good especially earlier in the winter. My sister lives near Flixton and she had snow on the ground for ages which is a bit unusual for them to say the least, and it coincided perfectly with very weak solar output in December. That front that came up from the south didn't reach this far north and east in Gtr Manchester, it pivoted around your area for a while and then slipped back south. Frustrating for here but it can happen. Like all snow events it can be a matter of just a few miles that makes a difference and luck.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, raul_sbd said:

Next ones the ones about to cross York?

If they pass through Hemsworth they are on track for my house ish, possibly you too.