Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted

Chilly evening, clear starry skies. Current temp 4.8 degrees. Pity we won't hold on to today's clear skies, cloud encroaching through the night, and no frost on the cards. Back to the grey overcast dreary skies tomorrow, and that horrible SW airstream, which will be in full gear Monday/Tuesday - go away please!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Could it happen?

Screenshot_20211016-083530_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

A  very different day ahead compared to yesterday - annoyingly.. a grey overcast dank weekend ahead. It's a cold start, quite bleak really, low cloud drizzle, current temp 6.4 degrees. Temps climbing through the day, this evening and overnight will be warmer than early afternoon where we will be struggling to hit double figures, likely to go down as the first 'cold' feeling day of the season.

I want to fast forward to Thursday, when polar air returns.. Monday and Tuesday miserable indeed with heavy rain, and that dreaded long fetch SW flow. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Some much needed rain on the way. Reservoirs still a good deal below normal so we do need it. Just hope it doesn't carry on for the next 4 months.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
17 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Some much needed rain on the way. Reservoirs still a good deal below normal so we do need it. Just hope it doesn't carry on for the next 4 months.

Yeah even though there’s been a lot of boring drab weather over the last few weeks, it’s certainly been a lengthy period of dry weather and the local reservoirs, although not exceptionally low, are well down.

That said, United Utilities have spent the day tankering water into one of the underground service reservoirs here, either that or they are secretly stockpiling petrol

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A damp, misty start to the day up here although if the radar is to be believed then the last of the rain should be clearing here within the next hour or so.

just need to get shut of the annoying low cloud then.

• Like 4

Posted

A grey gloomy wet start to Sunday morning.. doesn't make you want to get of bed.. well have to get uses to many more like it in the days and weeks ahead!...

• Like 6

Posted

Many word which are expletives that I use to describe today's type of weather.. whole holidays in the Lakes ruined by such conditions. The dreaded long fetch SW flow and its associated drizzle and gloom, cloud shredding everything to valley level..call it typical Lakeland weather.. however used to it. It always makes me feel miserable.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 6

Posted

Other than an occasional attempt at something brighter over the last couple of hours, the cloud and gloom has certainly won the battle so far today.

• Like 3

Posted

Had a very brief glimpse of the sun about 20 minutes ago then the cloud put the lights out and its back to the murk.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Had a very brief glimpse of the sun about 20 minutes ago then the cloud put the lights out and its back to the murk.

Yes a brief glimpse of sunshine ☀️ 

My husband and I managed to give each other haircuts ?‍♂️ in the garage with the door open… if it had been sunny dry day we’d of done it outside… 21st home haircut since March 2020 

• Like 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Yes a brief glimpse of sunshine ☀️ 

My husband and I managed to give each other haircuts ?‍♂️ in the garage with the door open… if it had been sunny dry day we’d of done it outside… 21st home haircut since March 2020 

Like this

image.thumb.png.380baead0f819a0b79dcd4744f6938b0.png

• Like 6

Posted

Of course we cannot fully discount it as you'd be more right than wrong in this country but you do have to laugh at the met office saying we might be in for a very mild winter when they often chop and change short term forecasts. I don't believe any "super" computer can accurately predict a full winter a few months before the start of it even happens. The dynamics of the atmospheric weather patterns are too complex.

• Like 7

Posted
8 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Of course we cannot fully discount it as you'd be more right than wrong in this country but you do have to laugh at the met office saying we might be in for a very mild winter when they often chop and change short term forecasts. I don't believe any "super" computer can accurately predict a full winter a few months before the start of it even happens. The dynamics of the atmospheric weather patterns are too complex.

Mild is the form horse in the UK though so they’ve far more chance of being proved right but the way that things are lining up to kick the UK at every opportunity, it wouldn’t surprise me if the coming winter is another 1963

• Like 6

Posted
20 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Mild is the form horse in the UK though so they’ve far more chance of being proved right but the way that things are lining up to kick the UK at every opportunity, it wouldn’t surprise me if the coming winter is another 1963

I was almost 13 back then and I've yet to see another one as severe as that, snow upon frozen snow. Still remember my dad digging the snow away from the front door which was a regular thing so that we could actually get out. God knows what it was like in the Pennines up your way.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I was almost 8 back then and I've yet to see another one as severe as that, snow upon frozen snow. Still remember my dad digging the snow away from the front door which was a regular thing so that we could actually get out. God knows what it was like in the Pennines up your way.

Only 1 year old myself so although I can say I lived through it, that’s as good as it gets.

I have seen photographs of snow piled up against gable ends and heard tales of buses and trams completely buried so it must have been pretty bad at times.

I do remember 1979 though and I’ve been told that some of the conditions in that winter we’re as bad as 63 around these parts and much as I like a bit of snow, I’ve no wish to see a repeat of either again.

• Like 6

Posted

We are being blessed with one thing at least at the start of this quite unsettled week...a decent sunrise right now.  Think that will be as good as it gets though looking at the forecast for the next few days.

• Like 5

Posted

Very chilly but dry much rather have that than today's dross.

gens-11-0-348.png

• Like 6

Posted

A depressing but mediocre days weather.

other than it being so warm you’d have thought it was mid October.

• Like 6

Posted

Apart from a few fun wild perturbations like I've posted it's looking fairly typical for the time of year and as we go into the start of November. Let's face it when did we last have proper wintry conditions early in November? Personally I'd be chuffed if we got it in December and January when we can tap into proper cold upper air temps when they're at their peak and less chance of marginality. It's still a bit early over the next few weeks. A proper cold spell not snap in the heart of winter would be good for a change. Whilst the beasts in late Feb 2018 and March were very decent and thoroughly enjoyable I couldn't help but think what if it was a month to 6 weeks earlier?

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2