Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:
fallback-logo.png
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Snowfalls brought widespread disruption to the north-west yesterday, with road and air travel severely affected.

Still don’t remember the snow between Christmas and new year but I can remember heavy snow and bitter cold at the beginning of February, especially further north as it coincided with a freezing long weekend in Edinburgh.

The wintry conditions also coincided with the early stages of the foot and mouth epidemic with plenty of news footage of open pits and fires in fields covered with snow.

• Like 4

Posted
54 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Still don’t remember the snow between Christmas and new year but I can remember heavy snow and bitter cold at the beginning of February, especially further north as it coincided with a freezing long weekend in Edinburgh.

The wintry conditions also coincided with the early stages of the foot and mouth epidemic with plenty of news footage of open pits and fires in fields covered with snow.

It was a decent snowfall. About 6 inches and stuck around until New Year. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Think I remember the December 2000 snowfall; wasn't it late night Boxing Day going into the 27th, when some of us were going back into work the next day. I remember thinking 'typical - couldn't it have arrived sooner?'

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

Think I remember the December 2000 snowfall; wasn't it late night Boxing Day going into the 27th, when some of us were going back into work the next day. I remember thinking 'typical - couldn't it have arrived sooner?'

It was early hours of 28th.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Just been down to the River Etherow near Graphite Way to way up where I could fish.

Copious amounts of leaves slowly floating down the river and the trout are mistaking them for a big meal when they land on the surface lol.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Hopefully a couple of cold nights will see a lot more leaves falling.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

To wet the appetite (the norm for @WillinGlossop )

2010.jpg?w=640
WIRRALWEATHER.COM

-8 Temperatures and heavy snow. That was what the weather was like 5 years ago today on the wirral. Winter 2009/10 was the most severe in the UK for over 30 years and the coldest since 1978/79. As snow and ice...

Ist November I'll start looking at the charts again, refreshed and ready to go!

@Frost HoIIow, how are you doing fella?

• Like 5

Posted

Leaves been floating around quite a bit the last week/ten days… used leaf blower a few times and made some large drifts to mulch…. Log burner on instead of heating… might be a bit chillier first thing tomorrow and a sunny ☀️ day ??
made tomato and basil soup for tea…

hi Day 10  

looking forward to winter… hopefully a decent few snowfalls this year (over six inches ideally a foot ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ⛄️) 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
On 14/10/2021 at 19:18, WillinGlossop said:

Leaves been floating around quite a bit the last week/ten days… used leaf blower a few times and made some large drifts to mulch…. Log burner on instead of heating… might be a bit chillier first thing tomorrow and a sunny ☀️ day ??
made tomato and basil soup for tea…

hi Day 10  

looking forward to winter… hopefully a decent few snowfalls this year (over six inches ideally a foot ❄️❄️❄️❄️⛄️) 

Hi mate,

Had ours, gammon, veg & sweet potato

I hope we beat last years total, topped out at a whopping 1cm

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
56 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

To wet the appetite (the norm for @WillinGlossop )

2010.jpg?w=640
WIRRALWEATHER.COM

-8 Temperatures and heavy snow. That was what the weather was like 5 years ago today on the wirral. Winter 2009/10 was the most severe in the UK for over 30 years and the coldest since 1978/79. As snow and ice...

Ist November I'll start looking at the charts again, refreshed and ready to go!

@Frost HoIIow, how are you doing fella?

Love the winter chase Getting there now mate still some tiredness but could be far worse. Certain I'm over the worst now thankfully! As you know it's a scary thing knowing you've got it and start feeling rough.

• Like 5

Posted

Best advice is to keep your guard and wear a mask. Mine and @WillinGlossops area (High Peak) is around 600 /100000 people, more than a lot of places.

No way are we out of the woods (more like lost in them)

FH, I'm over your way tomorrow. I'm visiting Fitton Hill to view the post 16 place that I hope my SEN child will be going to.

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Love the winter chase Getting there now mate still some tiredness but could be far worse. Certain I'm over the worst now thankfully! As you know it's a scary thing knowing you've got it and start feeling rough.

Wasnt expecting Greece to get the goods so soon.

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Best advice is to keep your guard and wear a mask. Mine and @WillinGlossops area (High Peak) is around 600 /100000 people, more than a lot of places.

No way are we out of the woods (more like lost in them)

FH, I'm over your way tomorrow. I'm visiting Fitton Hill to view the post 16 place that I hope my SEN child will be going to.

Indeedlydoodly Had Worse…cases sky high up here.. highest we’ve had… been keeping ourselves within Glossop over last three weeks.. wearing masks in shops… but not like we’re not busy anyways working from home etc… anyways we’ve managed to see peeps and places over the previous three months all over the country… 

still haven’t had +ve test…testing twice a week every week since April 

raining but hoping the clearance happens and sunny ☀️ tomorrow although chilly… 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Happy Friday everyone! Nicest morning in a while chilly start but  thank god we’ve lost all that cloud & gloom! ☀️ Very mild to start next week but becoming cooler and more seasonal by the end of next week into half term week. May just be me but leaves seem to be turning quite late this year - my October Glory Maple Tree is only just beginning to turn compared to it being in full Autumn colour this time last year.  

What are peoples thoughts on this winter? Personally think we’ll have a couple of shots at cold & snow both early & late winter but a mixed rather than severe winter. Last winter compared to recent winters was fairly good for the Cheshire plain - lots of wet snow late Dec onwards all be it transient with no freeze - if only that January heavy rain- snow event had stuck around - we got about 8cm in several hours from that- here’s hoping the snow gods are kind this year!  ❄️ 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

The first cold night of the autumn last night with a minimum temperature of 6.2°C. Wasn’t much of a cold front though, only trace rain when I was expecting a bit of heavy rain overnight.

• Like 3

Posted

Great morning and looking rest of the day ahead.. polar air in ascendancy beating off the woeful tropical maritime airstream. Polar air will always be king! Blue sky and sunshine!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Lovely day today here

Dropped to 6ºC overnight and was around 7.5ºC when I got up 7ish... It's around 12ºC currently; good day to take advantage and get the land barge washed and give the back garden it's final cut of the year...

wash2.jpeg

lastcut.jpeg

Edited by Dan B
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

This is more like it!! Just been on a short 20 mile bike ride....Almost perfect cycling weather; sunshine, blue skies and a light breeze from the east. If autumn/winter was like that 90% of the time, I'd be delighted. Is there anyway of ordering this??? 

• Like 5

Posted

Its quite a shock to the system when first stepping out in the cold air this morning however the midday sun soon had the temperature warmed up again, I noticed the first signs of snow showers on the NWRadar over the Cairngorms behind last night's cold-front which for me is the first sign that true Arctic Airmass is now beginning it's seasonal pool southwards once more.

2.thumb.jpg.124745dc080ad7789b131d12e0622378.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

There's been some snow in Levi, Finland last week but none in Rovaniemi so far and this is where the Santa Claus village is. My son & wife are taking their kids there in December. They are are going to wave on the webcam  Hopefully there will be snow there as a few years back there wasn't any. They want to do some husky sleighing too. The first snow forecast over the next few days though so promising signs going forward I hope. A wet night there at the moment.

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Rovaniemi Int. 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

• Like 4