Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Despite being triple jabbed I've now got covid after taking a test. The Mrs is negative thankfully. Thought I haven't been right for about 5 days so took one. Started with headaches then temperature, dizziness, no cough strangely enough or lack of taste etc but I guess it effects people differently but fatigue is my worst symptom which is persistent, hope it's not the start of long covid. Just glad I got the jabs or I would have been in worse shape given I'm 71. I'm now isolating at home until I get a negative test result.

Hope you’re better soon Frost Hollow

First snow symbols I’ve seen for glossop this side of summer… will be gone on next update… 

70C8CA94-5E5C-4945-80C1-91CB5B329EDC.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
On 12/10/2021 at 18:07, Frost HoIIow said:

Despite being triple jabbed I've now got covid after taking a test. The Mrs is negative thankfully. Thought I haven't been right for about 5 days so took one. Started with headaches then temperature, dizziness, no cough strangely enough or lack of taste etc but I guess it effects people differently but fatigue is my worst symptom which is persistent, hope it's not the start of long covid. Just glad I got the jabs or I would have been in worse shape given I'm 71. I'm now isolating at home until I get a negative test result.

Sorry to hear that, get well soon. At least you've been vaccinated so hopefully won't be too bad as a result.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
On 12/10/2021 at 21:28, damianslaw said:

In a word, today's weather 'non-descript' - nothing to discuss... sleep mode.

Yes, would echo that. We're in that transition period between autumn and winter at the moment. I often find this time of year rather mundane weatherwise, waiting for winter to finally arrive.

• Like 4

Posted

Starting to feel like we just can’t shake this humid, extremely mild waft we’re stuck under. People in the south east are celebrating that it could be 20+C in their neck of the woods next week. I’m not sure that’s anything to celebrate at this juncture. Meanwhile we’ll be stuck under some 15C by day and night, heavy rain, cloud at ground level horror show. Does polar maritime air still exist? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
9 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Damp and drizzly this morning, mundane, nondescript. Hopefully it will clear later. 

Same up here, the cloud is very low and the tops are practically hidden.

The forecast says it should improve later this morning with sunshine this afternoon so hopefully a bit of walking is on the cards before I’m back in work next week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Expecting another day of overcast claggy conditions. Nearby tops of Blencathra, Clough Head and Great Dodd all covered. Wolf Crags on the Old Coach Road, at approx 1800 feet are at times swallowed up by the swirling mists and clouds. Slight breeze and temp at present 12c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Well had 5 nice days in London. Weather was perfect and the best whether you can get in October. Very foggy mornings on the River Thames but sunny afternoons except Friday  and rather warm.

Come back up north and it’s very depressing everything is damp and it’s cloudy and cold.

• Like 8

Posted

Low cloud tops today, only had a quick drive up Huddersfield Road into Scouthead and the hills are shrouded by mist and cloud.  Quite atmospheric if it wasn't for the persistent heavy drizzle.  Oh well more rain of the usual kind next week....for us western dwellers.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 6

Posted

Yes the dreaded SW airstream.. never good here any time of year. Hopefully fleeting and kicked aside by polar air.

We had an injection of polar air late Sept and start of this month. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
44 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Yes, will it won't it (sun come out) seems to be the story of the weather here today. The wont's seem to have it at the moment. 

It managed to put an appearance in a couple of times here but only for a minute or so before the cloud was back again.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Silly season almost upon us so this usually means the perturbation charts get an early start on the Christmas sherry and they don't disappoint so I thought I'd throw this one in because you never know there's been times when they've come true. -8C uppers into Cumbria. Not bad for October with snow showers digging south

gens-22-0-192.pnggens-22-2-192.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

If you remember the last days of October 2008, it snowed and certainly, Wales got a good covering.

Myself and the family were returning from Majorca and flew over Wales on approach to Manchester. It was very white on the approach  and bl**dy freezing when we got off the plane.

• Like 7

Posted
15 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Silly season almost upon us so this usually means the perturbation charts get an early start on the Christmas sherry and they don't disappoint so I thought I'd throw this one in because you never know there's been times when they've come true. -8C uppers into Cumbria. Not bad for October with snow showers digging south

gens-22-0-192.pnggens-22-2-192.png

A bit early if it does come off but not unknown.

we’ve certainly had snow on the hills around here in mid October and I remember sometime in the early early 80’s when we had a slight covering down in the town right at the beginning of the month.

• Like 5

Posted

11c rain/heavy drizzle chilly… hill fog cleared with breeze picking up slightly… hoping for some frosty mornings with morning valley fog and some sunshine at some point through this autumn colder weather could be on the cards from later next week… we shall see if it comes to anything… 

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

11c rain/heavy drizzle chilly… hill fog cleared with breeze picking up slightly… hoping for some frosty mornings with morning valley fog and some sunshine at some point through this autumn colder weather could be on the cards from later next week… we shall see if it comes to anything… 

Looking forward to the first frost..that's when I feel autumn has fully kicked into gear.. late this year..

• Like 6

Posted
44 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

We had snow late Oct 2008. Snow down to modest levels late Oct 2010 and 2012. Snow on the fells late October quite normal. 

Yes and probably more so in the past as it seems it's harder even in the winter these days. Late October 2000 we had a few inches here in the middle of that horrendously wet Autumn of that year. That winter though that followed wasn't too bad. A significant fall just after xmas even near the coast from what I remember and we reached -12C here after the snow. Then we had further snow in February and March.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Late October 2000 we had a few inches here in the middle of that horrendously wet Autumn of that year. That winter though that followed wasn't too bad. A significant fall before xmas even near the coast from what I remember and we reached -12C here after the snow. Then we had further snow in February and March.

I remember that late October fall, it followed on from an horrendous night of high winds and torrential rain which brought a fair bit of flooding around the town.

then in a matter of minutes it turned to heavy snow which dropped around 4 inches in little over an hour before it stopped again.

I’d taken the day off work to carry out the school drop off and pick up but ended up looking after my young daughter when the school closed due to snow.

strangely I don’t remember much about the winter which followed.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I remember that late October fall, it followed on from an horrendous night of high winds and torrential rain which brought a fair bit of flooding around the town.

then in a matter of minutes it turned to heavy snow which dropped around 4 inches in little over an hour before it stopped again.

I’d taken the day off work to carry out the school drop off and pick up but ended up looking after my young daughter when the school closed due to snow.

fallback-logo.png
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Snowfalls brought widespread disruption to the north-west yesterday, with road and air travel severely affected.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

If you remember the last days of October 2008, it snowed and certainly, Wales got a good covering.

Myself and the family were returning from Majorca and flew over Wales on approach to Manchester. It was very white on the approach  and bl**dy freezing when we got off the plane.

I went to Clocaenog forest to watch some rallying the first weekend in November; and was surprised & delighted when you could see the hills covered in snow from the A55/A494. On arriving at the forest it was like a winter wonderland....

• Like 6

Posted
36 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I was in Newcastle at the time. Remember the forecast for snow on the back of heavy rain accompanied by gales. I think it was a southerly tracking low pressure that had a steep temp gradient wrapped with the cold front on the back of the warm front introduced cold arctic airstream. It was brief quickly cut off by a ridge and any snow quickly thawed.

The winter that followed got off to a slow start very wet and mild until christmas. Then followed a very cold few days with heavy snow overnight 27th/28th. The rest of the winter brought episodic periods of cold all weather with light snowfalls. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7