Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
On 10/10/2021 at 00:31, Frost HoIIow said:

Yep mate I think we could be in for a decent one been saying it for a while now when looking at the background signals but the word "could" I'll emphasize as we know even with all the pieces of the puzzle aligning it can somehow still come crashing down on us so I'm not letting my guard down fully until we are actually on the cusp and we see it in the model reliable time frame. To be honest UK wide apart from the brilliant 2018 beasts we haven't really had a decent winter overall since 2013. That's a bloody while ago and we deserve a good one now. Last winter was "ok" here had a few light snow coverings but nothing what I'd call significant (15cm+) Jan-March 2013 was better in that sense. I'd love a 2009-2010 repeat but that might be asking too much, that frontal event in the January that dumped over a foot here was amazing. Absolute corker of a winter that was.

Yes mate, our 3 best snowfalls of the christmas pudding fell here on the 3 years you mention.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a true Greenland high this Winter, we are due one.

Anyways, what a cracking day for October! Enjoy folks!

Edit: Lol, the system changed my wording, should say as you all well know M'dern etc...

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Yes mate, our 3 best snowfalls of the christmas pudding fell here on the 3 years you mention.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a true Greenland high this Winter, we are due one.

Anyways, what a cracking day for October! Enjoy folks!

Edit: Lol, the system changed my wording, should say as you all well know M'dern etc...

Surprisingly last winter I think was our coldest since 2009-2010 despite it never being particularly severe. More a case we never endured anything exceptionally mild.. though second half of Feb was very mild. Snowfall wise we received only small amounts. Our last 6 inch plus snowfall was way back in Jan 2013. We missed out just in March 2013.. close call.

Mind a single heavy snowfall that goes in a couple of days in a sea of mild is not what I want.. a few light snowfalls throughout winter that stick around much better.. preferably with one being a big snowfall will dom 2012-13 was great in this respect but the event in Jan lasted a day..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Personally, I thought the 'beast' in 2018 was slightly disappointing; yes there was plenty of cold but a few inches of snow which disappeared by late afternoon - while other parts were snowed under.

Agree about 2009/10; from the wet November, it all changed in December; cold & snow before Christmas, and the early January snowfalls. Much prefer it to 2010/11 - which after December was pretty rubbish.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A lovely day today, largely sunny. A fresher feel compared to the previous few days, but for me personally, a more comfortable temperature for doing outdoor jobs.

• Like 4

Posted

Agree a most pleasing day weatherwise. A cool start followed by plenty of sunny spells and light winds. Temperatures maxed about 14 degrees, sun still has a bit of kick to it. Need to make the most of the next 2-3 weeks before the clocks go back...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Agree a most pleasing day weatherwise. A cool start followed by plenty of sunny spells and light winds. Temperatures maxed about 14 degrees, sun still has a bit of kick to it. Need to make the most of the next 2-3 weeks before the clocks go back...

lighter in the mornings yay! forward I hate! darker mornings

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Like a dog with a bone the GFS still showing a plunge of Arctic air 10 days out with -7C uppers across most of our region and decent snow for highland Scotland.

image.thumb.png.5ca9bc2fb1e17b1163d940574e2f8902.pngimage.thumb.png.6200c3b53af079257c9595ea96ca5c78.png

Late in the run an unusually strong HP for the time of year comes over us. And given it'll be late October with long nights it would be chilly at the surface with fog and frost. All is not normal with the Atlantic?

image.thumb.png.0714d2d1c7d880420e6184a7074f17fd.png

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Certainly a cool breeze this morning. Suns out occasionally and its dry so that's a positive.

• Like 5

Posted

felt quite frigid on the walk to college, even though it was 8c. the transition from September to October has been pleasing, leaves are almost all red and orange hues. This is what autumn should be!

• Like 5

Posted

Cooler chill even when sun made an appearance… managed to tackle moss on drive with hoe and blowers after four dry days from putting down moss killer… feeling autumnal filled the bird feeders and put on log burner for the first time tonight

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

In 2018 I couldn’t get to work three miles away for two days, this is the type of snow event I’m interested in.  However we’ve hardly had a thing since, this winter

Back to the present time and this is the worst time of the year weather wise for me. Not cold just mild and generally grey.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

An overcast day so far. We had an hour or two of very light drizzle around lunchtime, but barely enough to wet the ground.

• Like 3

Posted

The rain might be have that little bit of a colder feel next week.  If it was Dec/Jan it may have even been a tad wintry.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, severe snowstorm said:

An overcast day so far. We had an hour or two of very light drizzle around lunchtime, but barely enough to wet the ground.

Ditto here in S Cheshire but rain, such as it was, fell at 3pm. Signs of clearance now and a bit of blue sky to end the day. 

• Like 4

Posted

Despite being triple jabbed I've now got covid after taking a test. The Mrs is negative thankfully. Thought I haven't been right for about 5 days so took one. Started with headaches then temperature, dizziness, no cough strangely enough or lack of taste etc but I guess it effects people differently but fatigue is my worst symptom which is persistent, hope it's not the start of long covid. Just glad I got the jabs or I would have been in worse shape given I'm 71. I'm now isolating at home until I get a negative test result.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
42 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Despite being triple jabbed I've now got covid after taking a test. The Mrs is negative thankfully. Thought I haven't been right for about 5 days so took one. Started with headaches then temperature, dizziness, no cough strangely enough or lack of taste etc but I guess it effects people differently but fatigue is my worst symptom which is persistent, hope it's not the start of long covid. Just glad I got the jabs or I would have been in worse shape given I'm 71. I'm now isolating at home until I get a negative test result.

Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully you’re through the worst of it by now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
On 12/10/2021 at 18:07, Frost HoIIow said:

Just browsing, but had to sign in to wish you all the best mate and a swift recovery.

• Like 6

Posted

Thanks guys really appreciate it, you are both survivors of this  I think I'm getting better by about 10% a day so that's a huge positive just hope the extreme fatigue buggers off. That's my most pressing symptom now while most of the others have gone.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4