Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted

19c some sunshine, feels warm when it’s out…

four large bags of wood chopped and stacked in garage… crumpet and honey with cuppa tea sat in sun earlier… 

off to City vs Leipzig later with eventually downloaded mobile ticket… 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
7 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

A bright autumnal morning. A pity that Mrs FLT and I could not have seen something similar on our short cruise from Southampton to Liverpool and back over the past four days. No sign of the sun and mainly cloudy and drab, although our day out - in Chester of all places on Sunday - was dry until we prepared to head back to Liverpool Docks and the boat home. Still we enjoyed ourselves with indoor activities and our journey back to Cheshire yesterday was uneventful if wet at times, and we must have missed the worst of the rain further east. Nice to be back cruising after an absence of 2-3 years in our case, and we're booked for the Round Britain cruise next May/June. Keeping our fingers crossed on this one!  

Our twice cancelled Caribbean beach holiday is now due to be a Caribbean cruise next April.

hoping everything is back to normal by then but still half expecting the can to be kicked further down the road.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
13 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Our twice cancelled Caribbean beach holiday is now due to be a Caribbean cruise next April.

hoping everything is back to normal by then but still half expecting the can to be kicked further down the road.

Sounds like a Caribbean (Beach out of Reach) cruise holiday. 

• Like 4

Posted

A stunning morning. Clear skies and mist over Lake Windermere. Became rather cloudy by the afternoon and remained so. Felt quite warm and humid. 

I thought we might see a rare Atlantic front move through Friday. Looks like it wants to stay away to our west. 2021 fast becoming the year when Cumbria unusually has missed many rainfall events.. each time a front looks like making it here something diverts it.. all indicative if the exceptionally non zonal Atlantic flow. Rivers and reservoirs are very low at present after a dry Spring and summer and not especially wet winter. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
11 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

A stunning morning. Clear skies and mist over Lake Windermere. Became rather cloudy by the afternoon and remained so. Felt quite warm and humid. 

I thought we might see a rare Atlantic front move through Friday. Looks like it wants to stay away to our west. 2021 fast becoming the year when Cumbria unusually has missed many rainfall events.. each time a front looks like making it here something diverts it.. all indicative if the exceptionally non zonal Atlantic flow. Rivers and reservoirs are very low at present after a dry Spring and summer and not especially wet winter. 

United Utilities website shows Hawswater and Thirlmere at 36%, hardly half of where it would usually be at this time of year.

Reservoirs in other parts of the region are fairing slightly better but it shows how lengthy these dry periods have been.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
8 minutes ago, iand61 said:

United Utilities website shows Hawswater and Thirlmere at 36%, hardly half of where it would usually be at this time of year.

Reservoirs in other parts of the region are fairing slightly better but it shows how lengthy these dry periods have been.

Not surprising really the river Medlock here was pretty low when I went on a walk yesterday with my dogs. Not a trickle but clearly it is visibly lower than normal and much more stones are showing closer to the bank which should be submerged.

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Not surprising really the river Medlock here was pretty low when I went on a walk yesterday with my dogs. Not a trickle but clearly it is visibly lower than normal and much more stones are showing closer to the bank which should be submerged.

Yeah it’s the same here with the Irwell.

I’ve seen it lower in recent years but a few of the tributary streams around here that feed the Irwell have all but dried up.

at least the dry ground makes for firm if dusty walking conditions on the tops.

• Like 4

Posted

I’ll take scoring six goals at home even if match wasn’t the best… 15 goals seen at home in three matches ain’t bad going

reservoirs going over Woodhead and snake recently have been quite low too… can see how dry the soil has been getting too digging… I’m sure we’ll make up for it over rest of autumn  

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Was out walking last weekend, and many waterfalls were devoid of hardly any water, Sour Milk Ghyll in Easedale a prime example. 

• Like 5

Posted
44 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

16 goals?

16 goals my bad… typing in traffic home 17 in 5 matches “without a recognised striker” as the media likes to mention every day… bit like how old is Bellingham? Is he 17? Oh no he’s 18 now

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Was out walking last weekend, and many waterfalls were devoid of hardly any water, Sour Milk Ghyll in Easedale a prime example. 

Nature usually balances things out so my gut feeling is a very wet period at some point.

• Like 7

Posted

Who ordered the black cloud and rain?

Just had moderate shower but it is very dark,  dark enough to need to put the lights on.

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 3

Posted
49 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Who ordered the black cloud and rain?

Just had moderate shower but it is very dark,  dark enough to need to put the lights on.

Was warm sunshine ☀️ walking in town earlier after mist/fog… drizzling in the last hour.. hopefully sun will reappear this afternoon

• Like 5

Posted

and this

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

6z GFS bringing up this chilly air again after dropping it. It does seem to pick out scenarios, drop them only to bring it up again. Certainly a risk of a first air frost of the season if the flow is slack.

gfs-1-240.png?6

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
55 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

6z GFS bringing up this chilly air again after dropping it. It does seem to pick out scenarios, drop them only to bring it up again. Certainly a risk of a first air frost of the season if the flow is slack.

gfs-1-240.png?6

PV starting to show itself to our NW

• Like 4

Posted

A wet start with heavy rain on my way to work but it soon stopped and since mid morning, it’s been a continually brightening picture with warm sunshine since early afternoon.

Not bad for mid September and although 2021 probably won’t rank with summers to tell the grandkids about; it’s certainly up there for it’s longevity and other than a few poor times during August, has lacked the monsoon conditions which seem to ruin the mid summer period.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Well, wasn't expecting that

Heard them fly over sounded quite loud…

people talking about it on Glossop Facebook 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
On 16/09/2021 at 16:29, cheshire snow said:

PV starting to show itself to our NW

Lol, we get earlier every year!

Glorious day here.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Heard them fly over sounded quite loud…

people talking about it on Glossop Facebook 

There was also an Apache Helicopter that headed South crossing Woodhead reservoir. Anyway, nice day for military aircraft after that rude little shower earlier. 

Wonder if its Covid related or the Afghan refugees were getting a lift. 

• Like 2