North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

415874216_Screenshot(132).thumb.png.115027c2c63eae9a54b8b6696bcc8b12.png

The shields are holding up captain.

• Like 3

Posted

No fireworks here - in between the action to the East (West Yorkshire) and out to the west.  Usually the case with a southerly feed here.  A straight westerly or northwesterly piles the showers in one after the other.  The ground has been dampened that's about it.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 6

Posted

A line of showers travelling west side of Lake Windermere can see the bubbling cloud. Still bone dry here..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Left work with dark threatening skies but dry, 5 minutes and a mile further on and the roads were like rivers.

Another 15 minutes and 5 miles and it was bone dry at home in Bacup.

such is the hit and miss nature of heavy showers I suppose.

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

A line of showers travelling west side of Lake Windermere can see the bubbling cloud. Still bone dry here..

tern-twitter-card.jpg?mtime=1502443262
WWW.WINDERMERE-LAKECRUISES.CO.UK

We have 3 Webcams on Windermere at Ambleside (Waterhead) Pier , our Head Office near Bowness Pier and at Lakeside Pier.

and another two as well

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

We've probably had a mm at best here. Not really enough to compensate for weeks of dryness.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Gone very dark and heard a couple of quiet rumbles and I'm sure I saw a flash in the distance, all gone quiet now though and trying to rain a bit but nothing much. Is this all I'm going to get?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 09/09/2021 at 18:29, Frost HoIIow said:

We've probably had a mm at best here. Not really enough to compensate for weeks of dryness.

Yeah same here. Amazing how the showers can dodge one area all day long

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Just heard a rumble of thunder and the music from a poor ice cream van going round. No one is going to venture out for an ice cream in a torrential downpour and at tea time?!

What about when it's snowing?  

image.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Spoke to soon it’s Peeeeing down.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Spoke to soon it’s Peeeeing down.

Good for the gardens though. Will probably be rain all the way for the next six months now though.

• Like 6

Posted
On 01/09/2021 at 22:02, Frost HoIIow said:

Mediocre is open to differing interpretations though and apart from yourself I know of no one who are genuinely disappointed with this summer and like I said it depends on what you are expecting in this region. If we are talking "average" though in this region this means consistently high teens in the summer with plenty of rain, in fact Summer is one of our wetter seasons. Which hasn't been the case this year, for the south it has though. The average rain fall for Manchester is 62 days of rain in total for the summer and 245mm and I think where you are it's even wetter than this.

cgi_klimagif?en033341630411200110.

I don't think the Manchester area has seen even a quarter of that, both days of rain and total rainfall and I don't think where you are has too given it's actually been drier this summer the further north you are in the country. Apart from August we had that heatwave in July (best hot spell since 2018) and plenty of low 20s temps with sunshine, of course we've had a chunk of cloudier days this summer especially in August but I expected that because we aren't in the Mediterranean. If you have unrealistic expectations then more often than not you'll be disappointed.

We've hardly had to have the heating on either which in some summers we had to do quite often to keep the chill off. That's almost always the sign of a decent summer by our usual standards. Reservoir levels are below normal too. 

WWW.UNITEDUTILITIES.COM

Details about the levels of water in our main reservoirs - updated weekly

Maybe I was being a bit critical. For our part of the world it's not been a bad summer. But probably still be considered a cool and cloudy summer by London standards. Anyway, it's not been as wet as it normally has, and temperatures have been warmer than average, and I think sunshine has been above average as well, even though it has been quite cloudy at times, there have been periods of a few days where I have not seen the sun.

I think the summer weather is generally worse in this part of the region, as I'm closer to the Pennines, I think in general, the further south and west in our region you are, the better the weather is, and the further north and east and/or higher up you are, the worse it is.  I have noticed I tend to get lower temperatures and less sunshine than other parts of the region further south and west. And looking at the met office stats I get more rainfall too - Rochdale for example not too far from here gets around 1100 mm a year and Stonyhurst gets a whopping 1300 mm!  In contrast, Blackpool and Manchester only get around 850 mm, despite Manchester being known as the "Rainy city", on paper it is not that wet, at least in terms of annual rainfall, it does however get around 150 rainy days a year which is quite high, almost half in fact, I think this is down to a lot of overcast and drizzly days that Manchester gets a lot of. So because of the sheer number of damp days I think that is where Manchester gets it's wet reputation from. Plus heavy drizzle can get you just as wet as a downpour.

That said, 245 mm and 62 days of rain for the summer does sound like a lot, considering there's only 92 days throughout the entire summer. So that's a whopping 2/3 days where it will rain at some point during the day or night. It's a pity really that summer is one of our wetter seasons, I always thought autumn and winter were the two wet seasons and spring and summer were the two drier ones. That's how it's tradionally supposed to be anyway. 

I think north west England summers and just too cloudy and damp for my liking. The temperatures are ideal though as I do not like heat. I prefer the climate of South West England, warm sunny summers (but not baking hot) and mild stormy winters.

Next summer it will probably be low pressure all the way and loads of rain and temperatures below 20C.

• Like 5

Posted

A couple of hours of mostly light rain this evening has dampened the ground.. it's something at least. Looking further ahead might the atlantic finally kick into gear next week..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
30 minutes ago, SnowThunder said:

It's been quite a nice summer but it's been absolutely terrible for storms

Only had one thunderstorm this year which was about a week or thereabouts after the July heatwave. Other than that very poor.

• Like 4

Posted
11 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

What about when it's snowing?  

image.png

Lol...the ice cream van going around is a local jokein our neck of the woods, gets commented on the communtity facebook page, a lot. It was going around 8pm last February  during that easterly spell! 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A mostly overcast morning here, but a really warm and muggy feel. A couple of light to moderate showers first thing. Clouds look to be starting to break up now so a very warm afternoon in prospect with little wind.

• Like 4

Posted

I'm down in Derby at the moment. 

Warm muggy and dry.

Noticed at Dinting Station Glossop,  there filming something. 

Anyone any idea what?

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

I'm down in Derby at the moment. 

Warm muggy and dry.

Noticed at Dinting Station Glossop,  there filming something. 

Anyone any idea what?

Had a google, they are filming a BBC drama called Everything I Know About Love.

• Like 5

Posted
On 09/09/2021 at 23:28, Frost HoIIow said:

Only had one thunderstorm this year which was about a week or thereabouts after the July heatwave. Other than that very poor.

Had nothing but a couple of rumbles, I know we don't get much anyway but the whole region has been pretty poor for storms. The sun on the otherhand has been glorious, will be interesting to see what Winter gives us

• Like 4

Posted

One of those days where, certainly at a local level the forecast was wrong.

yesterday was suppose to be heavy showers and storms, we stayed dry until evening.

today less showers and more sunshine, it’s been wet on and off since morning and some hefty downpours in the mix this afternoon.

As others have said, a pretty warm and muggy feel to the day through and even without the rain, certainly not a day to dry washing outside.

• Like 4

Posted

Looks like someone up there appreciated me being a bit peed off with the way the day turned out.

It’s been dry and increasingly sunny since

• Like 5

Posted

3 hour walk in warm sunshine around Anglesey and along beautiful beaches… large late lunch at Dylan’s on Llandudno seafront then walk along prom for a couple of hours… shattered and sunned… 

24c on car at lunchtime 

• Like 5