Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yet another dull day, we have just scraped 16C here but only just. A poor end to what has been a decent summer overall.

I would class this summer as mediocre or unremarkable overall. Most days in the high teens or low 20s with a mixture of sunny and cloudy days. Not many heatwave days but not many washout days either.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I would class this summer as mediocre or unremarkable overall. Most days in the high teens or low 20s with a mixture of sunny and cloudy days. Not many heatwave days but not many washout days either.

I suppose it depends on what you are expecting in this wet region of ours (summer is usually wetter than spring here) - June was rather dry and warm for the most part, not a hot month but been far worse and we had a full week of heatwave conditions in July which was pretty stifling at times, you often complained yourself of how hot it was in your house and we don't often get a long run of days like that in this region, it's not something that's normally extended beyond a few days most summers here so I think mediocre is pushing it a bit when we've also had a lot of pleasantly warm days too. 2012 was mediocre. It's been mediocre for thunderstorms though. August hasn't been great and probably the "worst" month but two good months out of 3 isn't bad going for our part of the world, we can't expect a 2018 re-run just 3 years down road. Weather history's summer index is a good indicator of this summer for most of the region and I believe it ranks quite highly.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted

Forecast has flipped. Unsettled spell Sunday and into next week replaced by warm dry weather. Apart from bit of drizzle we couldbe looking at a 17 day dry spell. No rain until Thursday. The often dry settled first week to September has become a common feature. Always most benign week of year it seems. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
18 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Agreed to an extent but I’d take this set up every summer over the default setting of a dry spring followed by a wash out middle period and then back comes the dry conditions as the nights draw in again.

True summer conditions during the summer months is as rare as hens teeth in the UK, certainly in our part of it and selfishly it makes a change for the north to see a better summer than the south.

anyway back to today, a cloudy and at times, damp start but an improving afternoon means that hopefully I can attempt to cut the grass before it gets long enough to be mow for silage

• Like 3

Posted

Almost as dry as summer 2018 for the region.  12th driest summer for the region since 1862, 9th warmest summer for region since 1884 but only 26th sunniest summer for the region. That's one area that has let this summer down.

Manchester summer index ended as 238

• Like 3

Posted

After a dull, damp, drizzly morning and 15°C at 3:30pm.  This evening in my bit of the NW is lovely and sunny and a current temp of 17°C, been so many times when the evenings have been far brighter than during the day.  Been a good summer for me, umpteen useable pleasant days, loved the high temps in July but cursed them too, found it quite difficult for a good few nights to sleep.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Greetings all.

Problems with the PC all day and now its decided it wants to communicate with the world after i swapped ports on my router.

Anyway, suns out and its a lovely evening.

• Like 4

Posted

Yes not been a bad evening for a change. Things probably warming up next week? Even though it's Meteorological Autumn now I feel the Astronomical seasons are a better reflection to the conditions we usually get so Astronomical Summer doesn't end until the 22nd. And funnily enough I often notice the leaves beginning to change colour after that. Similar in Winter - rarely do we get a proper cold spell before Astronomical Winter begins. 2010 bucked that trend of course but that was about as big of an enigma as you can get.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
21 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I suppose it depends on what you are expecting in this wet region of ours (summer is usually wetter than spring here) - June was rather dry and warm for the most part, not a hot month but been far worse and we had a full week of heatwave conditions in July which was pretty stifling at times, you often complained yourself of how hot it was in your house and we don't often get a long run of days like that in this region, it's not something that's normally extended beyond a few days most summers here so I think mediocre is pushing it a bit when we've also had a lot of pleasantly warm days too. 2012 was mediocre. It's been mediocre for thunderstorms though. August hasn't been great and probably the "worst" month but two good months out of 3 isn't bad going for our part of the world, we can't expect a 2018 re-run just 3 years down road. Weather history's summer index is a good indicator of this summer for most of the region and I believe it ranks quite highly.

Don't be get me wrong, it hasn't been a bad summer for our part of the world, but I say it's been mediocre/average because there's just been too many dull overcast days to get a higher grade. There was also an unsettled and dull period during the first half of July, and during many days in August. The temperatures have been pretty much perfect for me, but I would have liked to have seen more sunshine. 

Id describe 2012 as absolutely diabolical not mediocre. Mediocre means average or unremarkable, and summer 2012 was remembered for all the wrong reasons (I mostly remember the incessant dull overcast days and torrential downpours). I'd describe a summer like 2015 or 2011 as mediocre.

As for thunderstorms it's been diabolical, haven't seen any here, maybe a couple of rumbles but that was it. We do so poorly for thunderstorms these days.

Overall I'd say this has been a mainly front-loaded summer.

Id rate the summer for:

Temperatures (hi teens/lo 20's ideal): (9/10)

Rainfall: (drier the better): 6/10

Sunshine: (sunnier the better) 5/10 

Thunderstorms: 0/10 (Don't remember any)

I'd rate the months as:

June: 8/10 (almost perfect, plenty of sunny, usable days, a few cloudy and cool days)

July: 6/10 (often either too hot or too wet)

August: 4/10 (temps not too bad, but far too cloudy)

My overall rating for the summer is therefore a 6/10. This is based on my preference for lots of dry, clear days between 17-23°C. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

After a dull, damp, drizzly morning and 15°C at 3:30pm.  This evening in my bit of the NW is lovely and sunny and a current temp of 17°C, been so many times when the evenings have been far brighter than during the day.  Been a good summer for me, umpteen useable pleasant days, loved the high temps in July but cursed them too, found it quite difficult for a good few nights to sleep.  

1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

Greetings all.

Problems with the PC all day and now its decided it wants to communicate with the world after i swapped ports on my router.

Anyway, suns out and its a lovely evening.

Strange that as it's been a cloudy evening here, but the sun did come out for a few hours during the afternoon. Despite the sunshine the max was only 15.4°C, but it still felt pleasant in the sun.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Don't be get me wrong, it hasn't been a bad summer for our part of the world, but I say it's been mediocre/average because there's just been too many dull overcast days to get a higher grade. There was also an unsettled and dull period during the first half of July, and during many days in August. The temperatures have been pretty much perfect for me, but I would have liked to have seen more sunshine. 

Id describe 2012 as absolutely diabolical not mediocre. Mediocre means average or unremarkable, and summer 2012 was remembered for all the wrong reasons (I mostly remember the incessant dull overcast days and torrential downpours). I'd describe a summer like 2015 or 2011 as mediocre.

As for thunderstorms it's been diabolical, haven't seen any here, maybe a couple of rumbles but that was it. We do so poorly for thunderstorms these days.

Overall I'd say this has been a mainly front-loaded summer.

Id rate the summer for:

Temperatures (hi teens/lo 20's ideal): (9/10)

Rainfall: (drier the better): 6/10

Sunshine: (sunnier the better) 5/10 

Thunderstorms: 0/10 (Don't remember any)

I'd rate the months as:

June: 8/10 (almost perfect, plenty of sunny, usable days, a few cloudy and cool days)

July: 6/10 (often either too hot or too wet)

August: 4/10 (temps not too bad, but far too cloudy)

My overall rating for the summer is therefore a 6/10. This is based on my preference for lots of dry, clear days between 17-23°C. 

Mediocre is open to differing interpretations though and apart from yourself I know of no one who are genuinely disappointed with this summer and like I said it depends on what you are expecting in this region. If we are talking "average" though in this region this means consistently high teens in the summer with plenty of rain, in fact Summer is one of our wetter seasons. Which hasn't been the case this year, for the south it has though. The average rain fall for Manchester is 62 days of rain in total for the summer and 245mm and I think where you are it's even wetter than this.

cgi_klimagif?en033341630411200110.

I don't think the Manchester area has seen even a quarter of that, both days of rain and total rainfall and I don't think where you are has too given it's actually been drier this summer the further north you are in the country. Apart from August we had that heatwave in July (best hot spell since 2018) and plenty of low 20s temps with sunshine, of course we've had a chunk of cloudier days this summer especially in August but I expected that because we aren't in the Mediterranean. If you have unrealistic expectations then more often than not you'll be disappointed.

We've hardly had to have the heating on either which in some summers we had to do quite often to keep the chill off. That's almost always the sign of a decent summer by our usual standards. Reservoir levels are below normal too. 

WWW.UNITEDUTILITIES.COM

Details about the levels of water in our main reservoirs - updated weekly

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted

I'd describe the summer as being pretty decent / good, only the lack of thunderstorms preventing it from being very good. 

It was remarkably dry throughout, plenty of warm sunny days and that long spell of hot weather in July. August only had a short damp, humid spell which usually lasts all month and is why I normally rank it as my worst month. Had to spend the past two evenings watering pots and veg plot, very unusual, normally August has plenty of rain. 

Only heard one rubble of thunder which is very disappointing but then we were spoilt last year. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Overnight low of 9.9c just after midnight and then temp rose to 12.2c at 3am, falling back to 11.4c at 05:45.

Now cloudy with a temp of 12.1c .

Cloud covering the summit of Blencathra and Great Dodd but distant hills towards Keswick clear. No inversions although current forecasts suggest these may be back over the next few days

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Well after early drizzle for the umpteenth day, the sun came out and out went the washing.

Yesterday I had a mare with the broadband connected but doing virtually nothing. Having been though endless checking that it wasnt my end, it suddenly started working and i was able to send emails.

Late last night i had to send another email and it wouldn't go again.... I ended up turning the computer off and going to bed.

This morning, booted PC and everything is working... I think it was a BT fault although at the time, no problem was showing for this area.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Sun's out ,very warm now

• Like 3

Posted

Bit of a dull grey start till about 2pm, pleasant and sunny now.  Our region doing well in todays netweather temperature chart, Keswick and Blackpool airport at 21°C topping the chart with Prestwick airport, Manchester airport and Crosby at 20°C, all four in the top ten at the moment.  Local weather station near me recording 19°C.  Being a thunder lover myself, I'm in agreement with the lack of a decent storm this year.  Seen a few distant flashes and heard a few rumbles on different occasions, had an almighty thunderclap end of July, so loud my cats hair and whiskas nearly fell out, good job I wasn't drinking a coffee, that would have ended up coating the ceiling.

• Like 3

Posted

That is a pretty potent plume for summertime but even more so for September. These 20C uppers was rare as hens teeth in the middle of Summer 15 years ago but now seem to be knocking on our door earlier and later in the year these days.

image.thumb.png.13d971fd465365c8c1a9352c2d02cd7f.pngimage.thumb.png.0dbefb8ecb1fb1020892c64181093670.png

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
17 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

That is a pretty potent plume for summertime but even more so for September. These 20C uppers was rare as hens teeth in the middle of Summer 15 years ago but now seem to be knocking on our door earlier and later in the year these days.

image.thumb.png.13d971fd465365c8c1a9352c2d02cd7f.pngimage.thumb.png.0dbefb8ecb1fb1020892c64181093670.png

Can you hang on to it for me - thinking of a trip north west next weekend

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Akin to the late freezing uppers that sometimes occur in late Feb/early March it seems, think 2018.

There has been extreme heat over N Africa this summer, not too surprised to see a legacy of heat left over in this area still.

Early September heat not at all unusual..  Mid 20s can easily be achieved from a flow off the still very warm continent. Indeed high 20s sometimes even into late Sept, but that is much rarer, think 2011.

Super day today, wall to wall sunshine, 20 degrees, no wind.. lost count how many times such weather happens in early September. Normally though on the back of a poor end to August. This year very different, not often good weather end of August holds well into September. Mind it follows the pattern of the year, lengthy dry fine non Atlantic weather followed by bursts of unsettled weather but not zonal, more trough/cyclonic hence no washout. I can't help but think the place we are at in the solar cycle is having a large effect combined with La Nina state which often promotes mid and high latitude ridge followed by temporary trough pattern.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Akin to the late freezing uppers that sometimes occur in late Feb/early March it seems, think 2018.

There has been extreme heat over N Africa this summer, not too surprised to see a legacy of heat left over in this area still.

Early September heat not at all unusual..  Mid 20s can easily be achieved from a flow off the still very warm continent. Indeed high 20s sometimes even into late Sept, but that is much rarer, think 2011.

Super day today, wall to wall sunshine, 20 degrees, no wind.. lost count how many times such weather happens in early September. Normally though on the back of a poor end to August. This year very different, not often good weather end of August holds well into September. Mind it follows the pattern of the year, lengthy dry fine non Atlantic weather followed by bursts of unsettled weather but not zonal, more trough/cyclonic hence no washout. I can't help but think the place we are at in the solar cycle is having a large effect combined with La Nina state which often promotes mid and high latitude ridge followed by temporary trough pattern.

I'm sticking my head out and I'm thinking a cold winter on the way. Probably front loaded I reckon but if I said mild and wet then I'd be more likely right but I'm going to gamble on this. I think low solar is one factor but we've had low solar cycles in the past and some mild winters. So it's more of a jigsaw and we have to get all the pieces into it. I don't profess to know all of them (who does?) Some background influences we might never know as well. But certainly La Nina is another one as is the behaviour of the Azores & Aleutian HP. I just feel for some reason we're in with a good chance this winter too.

• Like 2

Posted

Met Office statistics are out on the link below for Summer 2021 showing above average temps across our region as was sunshine across Cumbria & Lancashire in particular and it was drier than normal for about 75% of the region. Very odd to see the south with those high rainfall anomalies and dullness. Like a role reversal of fortune.

haybales-in-a-field-with-colourful-skies
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Relative to average, Scotland and Northern Ireland have seen the mildest, driest and sunniest conditions during summer 2021.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 03/09/2021 at 01:02, Frost HoIIow said:

Met Office statistics are out on the link below for Summer 2021 showing above average temps across our region as was sunshine across Cumbria & Lancashire in particular and it was drier than normal for about 75% of the region. Very odd to see the south with those high rainfall anomalies and dullness. Like a role reversal of fortune.

haybales-in-a-field-with-colourful-skies
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Relative to average, Scotland and Northern Ireland have seen the mildest, driest and sunniest conditions during summer 2021.

A fairly average summer here overall looking at those maps...and it has certainly felt that way. August has been disappointing though, as has the lack of storm activity.

• Like 4