Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
6 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Wow, how old is he now?  Should be Tom Jones at Jurassic Park, not Haydock Park, LOL.  I shouldn't mock, he has far more energy than I, you'll have a great night.

His 80th birthday was earlier in the year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

It's lovely this morning.  Cool start at 5.50, 8°C.  Suns now shining bright with bits of fair weather cloud dotted about, current temp 14°C, this feels much warmer in the Sun.  A good fine August day for what ever you have planned, enjoy.

Partly Cloudy skies but currently only 15.5C, much cooler than forecast. Min of 8.1C last night. Very Septembery. It still feels warm in the sun though. Going drone flying with my brother later, should be fun.

4 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Programme on tonight, if you have not already seen it.  4seven at 9pm.  Summer of Wild Weather, 'Summer 2021 has seen record-breaking temperatures, wildfires, torrential rain and fatal floods.  What is causing such extreme weather?..........' Missed it during the week.

Not in the UK it hasn't. Aborad yes. It's generally been a very mediocre summer for the UK, no extreme heat or droughts or floods, in fact it's been quite dismal in the south as our southern friends in the moans thread keep reminding us. No doubt they are blaming it on "climate change". The truth is, extreme weather has always happened and will continue to happen.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Ensembles show very little rain at all until at least the 6th September. All very normal service though, lost count of the times we've had a dry and pleasantly warm start to September.

gfs-oldham-gb-535n-2w.thumb.jpeg.cad3bb1a5ab3c70cfcb97fe8dbeb15d9.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

The end of a perfect day, but it seems the rest of the BH weekend will  be cloudier and cooler in most places, but at least staying dry.

My sister in Durban S Africa informs me that the temperature there went from 31C to 10C in 24 hours, and then down to 6C, with snow inland. Now that is a change! 

Edited by A Face like Thunder
  • Like 4

Posted
6 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Ensembles show very little rain at all until at least the 6th September. All very normal service though, lost count of the times we've had a dry and pleasantly warm start to September.

gfs-oldham-gb-535n-2w.thumb.jpeg.cad3bb1a5ab3c70cfcb97fe8dbeb15d9.jpeg

Yes, the Atlantic usually takes a break in September, before coming back in October. Then from late October until mid March the Atlantic is at full force most years.

• Like 2

Posted

Well the BBC Weather app vastly overestimated the temps today, the high was supposed to be 20C, but it only reached 16.8C. Still a very nice day though, mostly sunny and felt warm in the sun, sat out in the gadren this afternoon and the sun felt strong, my arms and legs a bit more brown tonight. As I like to say, it's not about the temperature it's about the strength of the sun! Strangely, it was still 16.6C at 6:45 PM, and the humidity was also quite high despite the lack of cloud and dampness, with a minimum of 81%, which probably made it feel warmer than the temp would suggest. Currently 14C and 86% humidity. Got down to 8.1C this morning.

My brother wasn't up to drone flying today, so we'll go tommorow. Tommorow is forecast to be cloudy and only 16/17C. At least it will be dry though.

• Like 2

Posted

Very disappointing here, 15°C and cloudy, chilly NE breeze. Next week forecast to be much the same here. Looks like summer is over. Shame.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Interesting parallels this year summer stats wise  to Summer 2017 & Summer 2010 - front loaded summers with any ‘real’ warmth occurring before or like this year during mid July. It didn’t help that May was well and truly miserable this year too. We’ll probably scrape an average- slightly below average summer here in the NW but down south have had probably the poorest summer since 2017 - more than likely 2012 in London and the SE compared to normal. We all know what kind of Winters followed those summers too! ❄️ Winters 2010/11, 12/13 and 17/18 all had their severe cold spells - who can forget December 2010 & the BFTE!   ❄️ 

Dreaming aside the next week looks like a typical start to early September - dry, mellow and with varying amounts of sunshine ⛅☀️ 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 2

Posted

Not the best of days today - cloudy for the most part with just brief glimpses of sun. Just hope this cloud stays east of the Pennines next week.

• Like 2

Posted

We actually had a nice day in the south of the NW region, some sun interspersed with some white puffy cloud. That was until I headed east across the Pennines this afternoon to N Yorkshire. Cloudy, windy and raw on the NY coast and none-too-pleasant outdoors. More of the same for the rest of the week it seems. Fortunately I can stay indoors, but I think there will be a mass exodus from the coast tomorrow and thereafter if this weather continues as forecast.   

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Not the best of days today - cloudy for the most part with just brief glimpses of sun. Just hope this cloud stays east of the Pennines next week.

Not looking promising looking at the bbc weather app. Just 16/17°C and cloud every day.

1 hour ago, A Face like Thunder said:

We actually had a nice day in the south of the NW region, some sun interspersed with some white puffy cloud. That was until I headed east across the Pennines this afternoon to N Yorkshire. Cloudy, windy and raw on the NY coast and none-too-pleasant outdoors. More of the same for the rest of the week it seems. Fortunately I can stay indoors, but I think there will be a mass exodus from the coast tomorrow and thereafter if this weather continues as forecast.   

Amazing the difference the Pennines make. I’m not surprised about the conditions on the east coast with that north easterly wind at the moment, I went to North Tyneside in May/June 2018, similar setup, was cold, foggy and breezy most of the time, with temps struggling to get above 13°C. I also visited Whitby in August 2016, it was overcast and drizzly, further inland it was dry and sunnier.

• Like 4

Posted
6 hours ago, Joe Snow said:

Interesting parallels this year summer stats wise  to Summer 2017 & Summer 2010 - front loaded summers with any ‘real’ warmth occurring before or like this year during mid July. It didn’t help that May was well and truly miserable this year too. We’ll probably scrape an average- slightly below average summer here in the NW but down south have had probably the poorest summer since 2017 - more than likely 2012 in London and the SE compared to normal. We all know what kind of Winters followed those summers too! ❄️ Winters 2010/11, 12/13 and 17/18 all had their severe cold spells - who can forget December 2010 & the BFTE!   ❄️ 

Dreaming aside the next week looks like a typical start to early September - dry, mellow and with varying amounts of sunshine ⛅☀️ 

Hmmm.. I think it’s definitely been a better summer than 2017, that summer was mostly awful, just cold breezy westerlies and never stopped raining. I’d say Summer 2010 would be good match though. Looking at the Manchester Summer Index for this year seems like we are above 2010 and 2017 and above average as well.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Hmmm.. I think it’s definitely been a better summer than 2017, that summer was mostly awful, just cold breezy westerlies and never stopped raining. I’d say Summer 2010 would be good match though. Looking at the Manchester Summer Index for this year seems like we are above 2010 and 2017 and above average as well.

Yeah it’s been a ok summer by northern standards better than 2017 thanks to a decent June and the July heatwave -  like you say a summer probably similar to 2010.

London & the SE in particular have had a poor summer compared to the norm though - notably Heathrow has had a lot less 25c+ days than they normally get this year high teens - low 20c’s on average at best - when most average summer days in London are usually closer to 23/24c it’s been a cool one. Duller & much wetter than average too. You could say they’ve been treated to a NW style summer!  

• Like 4

Posted

23c today down in deepest darkest Somerset ooer the cider is as good as always ✅ 

back home Wednesday bringing family back… hoping for some blue skies and dry weather not bothered about temp….. 

Third footie match of season was good Saturday ⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽️ and managed to get down ere in 3&1/2 hours ✅ 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes it's not been a bad Summer. Not heard of anyone complaining about it so as we close in on Autumn I think it's safe to say we've had a decent Summer and better than the SE. Don't recall saying that before so it shows how bad it's been down there. All thanks to repeated ridges of high pressure to our NW....so low pressure has tended to take a more southerly track than usual into southern England leaving us and Scotland drier. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 6

Posted

A cloudy overcast grey sky scene here today. Complete contrast to the clear blue sky of yesterday. Even squeezed out a bit of drizzle around Ings just to our east.

• Like 5

Posted

Gloomiest day of the long weekend so far here today.  Started off a bit brighter with weak shafts of early sunrise but since clouded over.  Sure I saw bits of mizzle floating in the air but still 99.99% dry.  Managed to tidy up the garden so it's ready for hibernation in a few months.  Late next weekend there could be a chance of rain according to the forecasters.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, dodge said:

Gloomiest day of the long weekend so far here today.  Started off a bit brighter with weak shafts of early sunrise but since clouded over.  Sure I saw bits of mizzle floating in the air but still 99.99% dry.  Managed to tidy up the garden so it's ready for hibernation in a few months.  Late next weekend there could be a chance of rain according to the forecasters.

We own fields surrounding us here but we have an actual lawn around the house and I usually to do the last cut maybe end of October when we tend to get the first frost. Any earlier and it still grows. Generally the first proper frost ends the growth.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well, these slate grey skies are depressing. Bit brighter right now but been gloomy for most of the day.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

It actually drizzled yesterday. Enough to make the washing wetter than when it first went on the line. 

Today looks like a carbon copy too.

• Like 2

Posted
On 29/08/2021 at 21:38, East Lancs Rain said:

On 29/08/2021 at 22:49, Joe Snow said:

Yeah it’s been a ok summer by northern standards better than 2017 thanks to a decent June and the July heatwave -  like you say a summer probably similar to 2010.

London & the SE in particular have had a poor summer compared to the norm though - notably Heathrow has had a lot less 25c+ days than they normally get this year high teens - low 20c’s on average at best - when most average summer days in London are usually closer to 23/24c it’s been a cool one. Duller & much wetter than average too. You could say they’ve been treated to a NW style summer!  

I wouldn't call this summer similiar to 2010, infact, in some ways its the opposite to this summer. The summer was pretty good in the SE in 2010. They had a very warm, dry June-July 2010, although we had a decent June on the whole, we had a terrible July. Only 101hrs of sunshine for that July and it was wet, no wetter July since then. 

In 2010, SE and we had a decent June; SE had a decent July but we had a poor July; both areas had a mediocre August

In 2021, SE had a poor June, we had a decent June ; we had a decent July and they had an OK July; both areas have had a middling August.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

This side of Greater Manchester was much sunnier

Amazing the difference a few miles makes. Slate grey skies again today and a pathetic 14°C.  What a waste of high pressure. This week is turning into one of the most tedious spells of weather I’ve ever known.

5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I wouldn't call this summer similiar to 2010, infact, in some ways its the opposite to this summer. The summer was pretty good in the SE in 2010. They had a very warm, dry June-July 2010, although we had a decent June on the whole, we had a terrible July. Only 101hrs of sunshine for that July and it was wet, no wetter July since then. 

In 2010, SE and we had a decent June; SE had a decent July but we had a poor July; both areas had a mediocre August

In 2021, SE had a poor June, we had a decent June ; we had a decent July and they had an OK July; both areas have had a middling August.

Yes I remember lots of torrential downpours in July 2010. It was very similar to June/July 2012. I went on holiday to Oban in Scotland in late August/early September 2010. The weather was pretty good, I don’t remember any rain and yes there were some cloudy days but there were also some nice sunny days as well.

• Like 3

Posted

Yet another dull day, we have just scraped 16C here but only just. A poor end to what has been a decent summer overall.

• Like 4