Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
7 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

It not the heat that's the issue its the Humidity that gets to you 28c can be quite pleasant if the Humidity is low one reason i can sit out in the heat in Greece but struggle in this country.

C.S

Yes, you're right, humidity is a critical factor. I knew someone who went to Perth in Australia and they were saying whilst the temperatures can get into the mid to high thirties celcius, it doesn't feel too bad as humidity is usually low there. In contrast, places in Florida will regularly get into the mid to high thirties celcius with high humidity as well which must be unbearable outside. Mind you, they have regular thunderstorms as a result, so there are rewards. Of course, everything is also designed accordingly to keep things cool, eg aircon in all buildings and building design etc.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
22 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Warm and sunny now after a cloudy but dry start. Fortunately, both my weekend events - a wedding and outdoor church service - passed off with good weather, for which a large number of people in the area will be grateful! 

Yes it's been a very usable weekend. Mostly cloudy here but completely dry and temps in the low 20's. My favourite summer temperature - pleasant enough for getting out and about and doing things without being uncomfortable.

19 hours ago, PennineMark said:

Turning into a lovely afternoon. Cloud breaking a little more and 22c. Great for watching the cricket and grabbing a pint or two at the local club. 

20210725_170711.jpg

Was mostly cloudy here with just a little evening sun, high of 21.9, still 18.5 at 9:30 pm, did a bit of gardening and then went on a lovely evening walk, very pleasant and usable conditions this weekend. Wish every weekend was like this!

17 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

LOL that's it now you've cursed 2022.  I've thought about window shutters instead of curtains, tiles instead of carpets, then I would spend winter moaning my house was too cold.  AC unit the better option, shop wisely for your unit, I hear some can be quite noisy.

Saw an advert for a very small and cheap AC unit online the other day. Looks pretty good.

A very pleasant day today, currently 22C, sunny intervals and breezy. Not looking that good for the rest of the week but given the summer we've had so far we can't really complain.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Another usable day. Warm but not uncomfortably so. Just sat eating lunch next to Oulton Broad, Lowestoft. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
9 hours ago, Dexter said:

Yes, you're right, humidity is a critical factor. I knew someone who went to Perth in Australia and they were saying whilst the temperatures can get into the mid to high thirties celcius, it doesn't feel too bad as humidity is usually low there. In contrast, places in Florida will regularly get into the mid to high thirties celcius with high humidity as well which must be unbearable outside. Mind you, they have regular thunderstorms as a result, so there are rewards. Of course, everything is also designed accordingly to keep things cool, eg aircon in all buildings and building design etc.

I don't think I'd like to live in a proper tropical place like south Florida or Cairns in Australia. High humidity all year round with no seasons doesn't sound appealing but as you say they get some really magnificent thunderstorms in those parts of the world which would be of interest and the odd hurricane (or cyclone as they call them in the southern hemisphere) but I guess that would be a huge worry. No one wants their home smashed to pieces with 170mph gusts. Hurricane Andrew destroyed a lot of Miami.

• Like 3

Posted
9 hours ago, Dexter said:

I knew someone who went to Perth in Australia and they were saying whilst the temperatures can get into the mid to high thirties celcius, it doesn't feel too bad as humidity is usually low there.

I lived in Perth, WA for 10 years and when it gets to 40C, it is too hot!! Yes, often humidity is not too bad though but thankfully more often than or not the sea breeze, the Fremantle Doctor, comes in during the mid afternoon.  Some nights can be too hot. Recall a few of them.

Amazing when you become acclimatise, a 40C scorcher day and the following day is 29C, it is surprising how much "cooler" 29C does feel.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I don't think I'd like to live in a proper tropical place like south Florida or Cairns in Australia. High humidity all year round with no seasons doesn't sound appealing but as you say they get some really magnificent thunderstorms in those parts of the world which would be of interest and the odd hurricane (or cyclone as they call them in the southern hemisphere) but I guess that would be a huge worry. No one wants their home smashed to pieces with 170mph gusts. Hurricane Andrew destroyed a lot of Miami.

Can’t speak for Australia as I never been lucky enough to go but my underlying memory of being in Miami is rain.

we had four days there a few years ago and it rained at some stage on every one of them and then flew in for a cruise and then out again  two weeks later and it hammered it down both times.

interestingly I also read somewhere that Miami’s highest recorded temperature is lower than London’s.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

I lived in Perth, WA for 10 years and when it gets to 40C, it is too hot!! Yes, often humidity is not too bad though but thankfully more often than or not the sea breeze, the Fremantle Doctor, comes in during the mid afternoon.  Some nights can be too hot. Recall a few of them.

Amazing when you become acclimatise, a 40C scorcher day and the following day is 29C, it is surprising how much "cooler" 29C does feel.

Yes, I have to say that personally I can't ever envisage that I would think 40C doesn't feel too hot, even with low humidity! 

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Can’t speak for Australia as I never been lucky enough to go but my underlying memory of being in Miami is rain.

we had four days there a few years ago and it rained at some stage on every one of them and then flew in for a cruise and then out again  two weeks later and it hammered it down both times.

interestingly I also read somewhere that Miami’s highest recorded temperature is lower than London’s.

Yes Miami temps are consistently high 20s to low 30s but with dew points often in the mid 20s so can feel very humid - they can grow a load of tropical fruits and plants like mangoes, coconuts and bananas because of this but only in that far south of the state where frost is extremely rare. I think Key West is the only place in the lower 48 of the America to have never recorded an air frost. Miami has but even here it's a one in 50 year event so they can still grow exotic things.

Never been to Florida myself but have visited Australia twice as my wife's brother lives there, he lives in a small town called "The Entrance" in New South Wales but that's not a tropical climate, more sub tropical. They can get some cooler weather in the Winter with some chilly nights but you still don't need a warm coat, hat and gloves like here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers
11 hours ago, Dexter said:

I've been in Adelaide in 39C and it's more bearable than 25C in this country.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I've only been to Florida once, but that was in November near Orlando so max temps were only in the low twenties. Very pleasant in the daytime, but the evenings/nights did get chilly. Would be nice to experience a decent summer storm there, but certainly wouldn't want to be based there permanently.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
10 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I've only been to Florida once, but that was in November near Orlando so max temps were only in the low twenties. Very pleasant in the daytime, but the evenings/nights did get chilly. Would be nice to experience a decent summer storm there, but certainly wouldn't want to be based there permanently.

Seen some decent storms in Orlando but it’s the intensity of the rain that I noticed more, especially when trying to drive in it.

The best one I saw was at the Space Centre though, over a hour of near constant lightening, thunder and rain bouncing to head height and then flooded roads all the way back to Orlando.

• Like 4

Posted

Thunderstorm warning out for tomorrow and Wednesday. No doubt there will be a big gap over me on the radar like a few days ago whilst other areas of Greater Manchester get hammered.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, iand61 said:

Seen some decent storms in Orlando but it’s the intensity of the rain that I noticed more, especially when trying to drive in it.

The best one I saw was at the Space Centre though, over a hour of near constant lightening, thunder and rain bouncing to head height and then flooded roads all the way back to Orlando.

I’ve been to Florida a good 10 times and the storms out there always amaze me. I love the ones that rumble into the evening with no rain but constant distant lightning and thunder.

being there during Hurricane Irma was another story…

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Thunderstorm warning out for tomorrow and Wednesday. No doubt there will be a big gap over me on the radar like a few days ago whilst other areas of Greater Manchester get hammered.

Looking at the warnings it seems that tomorrow could be the the best chance of widespread storms we’ve had this year. Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

Posted

A sandwich month in the offing, a very wet top layer, a very generous dry layer in the middle, with a thin wet bottom layer!

Apart from a few spots of rain last Wednesday we've had a 14 day run of dry weather, the marker of a good spell of summer weather, and in the heart of summer, akin to the likes of July 2006, 2013 and 2018. Tomorrow forecast to bring a crashing end to the dry spell, but as ever with showery downpours some places might escape with little, others could see a deluge. We shall see. 

It's been a very pleasant day, temps nudged up to 23 degrees, and against the backdrop of last week's heat it felt very tolerable. Hazy skies at times rather than blue sky.

Hope people have made the most of the last 2 weeks, we won't see the like of such again until next summer, (in terms of deep summer feel and light levels.. not saying we can't achieve a 2 week dry spell with similiar temps, but the odds become less and less, and such a spell in August or indeed September will never feel the same as one in June or July, the dial is turning now...

• Like 5

Posted
On 26/07/2021 at 17:33, Frost HoIIow said:

I've been to both of those places in the summer months. Miami was an open-air sauna. Cairns was hot but more tolerable, probably due to the tropical trade winds off the Pacific Ocean (I guess Miami is a bit too far from the equator to be similarly affected). They do have seasons by the way, just different to ours - wet (summer) and dry (winter). The latter has much lower humidity than the former, at least in Australia. Cairns doesn't get many thunderstorms either, again probably due to the trade winds (Darwin on the other hand gets them nearly every day in the Wet). Just like to also mention Kununurra (far north of Western Australia), which was like an oven in the late wet season, and the dry 37C in Melbourne (which felt more like 27C in Blighty).

Most uncomfortable heat I've ever felt was in Shanghai. Days in the mid-to-high 30s with so much humidity you could almost drink the air. One night didn't drop below 31C. Believe me, as uncomfortable as heatwaves can get in NW England (or anywhere in Europe for that matter) the combination of heat and humidity in places like Miami and Shanghai is something completely different. 

• Like 4

Posted
40 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

I've been to both of those places in the summer months. Miami was an open-air sauna. Cairns was hot but more tolerable, probably due to the tropical trade winds off the Pacific Ocean (I guess Miami is a bit too far from the equator to be similarly affected). They do have seasons by the way, just different to ours - wet (summer) and dry (winter). The latter has much lower humidity than the former, at least in Australia. Cairns doesn't get many thunderstorms either, again probably due to the trade winds (Darwin on the other hand gets them nearly every day in the Wet). Just like to also mention Kununurra (far north of Western Australia), which was like an oven in the late wet season, and the dry 37C in Melbourne (which felt more like 27C in Blighty).

Most uncomfortable heat I've ever felt was in Shanghai. Days in the mid-to-high 30s with so much humidity you could almost drink the air. One night didn't drop below 31C. Believe me, as uncomfortable as heatwaves can get in NW England (or anywhere in Europe for that matter) the combination of heat and humidity in places like Miami and Shanghai is something completely different. 

I'm surprised you think Cairns doesn't get much thunderstorms. I used to look at their forecasts in the wet season and there was often a thunder symbol. Their wet season on the graph below is extremely wet (over 1,000mm) and given the average temperature a lot of this would be thundery. The Cairns accomodation website says they get "sensational" evening thunderstorms during this time. 

WWW.CAIRNSACCOMMODATION.COM

Cairns Accommodation, Best selection of 1,2 and 3 Bedroom Apartments, Resorts and Holiday Houses in Cairns City and the Beaches. Best Rates Available Book Now !

Screenshot_20210726-232914.thumb.png.0e536b946a929a15eacf030d27d86aaa.png

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted

20-25 days of thunder per year according to this link, which might sound like a lot but for Darwin and Miami the figure is about 80:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/climatology/thunder/explain_td.pdf

I was there in December and January yet didn't see a single storm. Plenty of torrential downpours though, appearing out of thin air. 

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all. Well I thought that today was going to be our region’s best chance for widespread storms, but I’ve just been reading ‘Convective Weather’s’ forecast for today and there’s just a SLIGHT risk over the central and eastern areas of our region which surprised me, specifically mentioning that the western coastal areas are less likely to see storms. This is a contradiction to the Metoffice’s current weather warning which specifically mentions N Wales and NW England as the areas with the highest likelihood of storms today. Hmm.

• Like 3

Posted

Hmm, overcast and vaguely drizzly here, that's not going to result in much convection.

• Like 3

Posted

Had a slight shower this am, all dried up now.  Total cloud cover at the moment, so cant tell visually what's happening above.  Need this cloud to break for insolation to play a part.  Sferics west of Chester, radio picking up the activity.  Hmm it's a nowcast.

• Like 2

Posted

Brighter now, some weak sunny spells. Those showers over North Wales have just grown on the spot without moving much, looks tasty towards the Wirral and Liverpool way now.

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

20-25 days of thunder per year according to this link, which might sound like a lot but for Darwin and Miami the figure is about 80:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/climatology/thunder/explain_td.pdf

I was there in December and January yet didn't see a single storm. Plenty of torrential downpours though, appearing out of thin air. 

20-25 thunder days is satisfying enough for me haha. What do we get here about 2 most years.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2