Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Corton NR32 5LQ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

A much cooler and fresher day today, high of around 19C, gentle/moderate easterly breeze. ☁️ Much more comfortable both outdoors and indoors. 

Big drop in the temps, Thursday reached 28.4C here, Friday only 21.3C and today we've not even reached 20C. Not that I'm complaining, I'd take 19C and cloud over 28C and sunshine anyday.

Sunday and Monday look a tad warmer before it goes properly cool next week, mid-teens and showers.

• Like 1

Posted
On 23/07/2021 at 20:10, IanR said:

still 23c here  grrrrr        although thats not to bad  ,  we seem to have been a microclimate of heat here 

It is stange how warm it's been where you are, it was only around 19C at the same time here, highest max has been 28.5C.

Posted
9 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Couldn't visit without sampling the cuisine

Very nice  

20210724_132731.jpg

20210724_132739.jpg

Why does looking at pictures of food always make me hungry?? lol.

7 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Wonder who writes these text forecasts..... warm and humid tonight at 9C? It's definitely more bearable now outside and has dropped a few celsius indoors as well.

Screenshot_20210724-164846.thumb.png.a21ae8764ddb6de57f67c42c9a228d8c.png

Maybe that's for rural areas? I dunno, I've known warmer nights in the winter!  Foreginers would laugh if they saw that forecast lol. It's currently 14C with 84% humidity according to my phone (weather sensor batteries died already, do'h!) so not exactly "warm and humid" lol.

And where is it forecast to reach 27C tommorow??? Iphone and BBC Weather apps forecasting 22C tommorow, so I can't see how somewhere else in the region could be 5C warmer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Not looking good this week. Much more unsettled and turning even cooler. Temps struggling to get above 16-18C.

• Like 6

Posted

Turning into a lovely afternoon. Cloud breaking a little more and 22c. Great for watching the cricket and grabbing a pint or two at the local club. 

20210725_170711.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

The high temps we have had are great if you have absolutely nothing to do or anywhere to go.  Had a really decent nights sleep, and had a shower without immediately feeling like I need another one.  @Frost HoIIow those 16-18° temps next week are going to feel quite cool after the temps of this week.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Couple of good useable days this weekend, not the wash out we feared. Once again the NW summer continues in good stead.

• Like 8

Posted

Another very good weekend. Far more tolerable heat. Max here 22.5 degrees, fair weather cloud and plenty of sunshine. Cooler at night as well.

Looks like we will squeeze another good day out of this excellent spell of weather tomorrow marking the end of a dry 14 day period bar a spot of rain on Wednesday.. I could count the number that fell!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
42 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

The high temps we have had are great if you have absolutely nothing to do or anywhere to go.  Had a really decent nights sleep, and had a shower without immediately feeling like I need another one.  @Frost HoIIow those 16-18° temps next week are going to feel quite cool after the temps of this week.

Yes, hot weather is great if you can chill out in the shade etc with a nice cool drink, or go in the pool or sea, but not very useable for many for other outdoor activities and the nights are just awful for sleeping when it's so hot. I'm looking forward to the period of cooler weather, that's for sure. 

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Dexter said:

Yes, hot weather is great if you can chill out in the shade etc with a nice cool drink, or go in the pool or sea, but not very useable for many for other outdoor activities and the nights are just awful for sleeping when it's so hot. I'm looking forward to the period of cooler weather, that's for sure. 

I found Thursday hard going given we'd had a run of warm nights by then.. Friday was a very 'slow' day. Hoping I will have more energy next week!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
8 minutes ago, RobR said:

Couple of good useable days this weekend, not the wash out we feared. Once again the NW summer continues in good stead.

Absolutely we’ve had a good summer so far compared to the South of the country. I fear August may well bring the worst of the summer as per usual in the last 10 years with the exception of last year perhaps but think we’ll still get some warmth mid month. 

• Like 6

Posted
21 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I found Thursday hard going given we'd had a run of warm nights by then.. Friday was a very 'slow' day. Hoping I will have more energy next week!

Yes, it's the gradual build up of heat in the house with day after day of hot weather, which is impossible to get rid of until temperatures cool down. All down to the design of houses in the UK which are designed to keep heat in, which is fine for two thirds of the year. Thursday night was definitely the worst.

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Dexter said:

Yes, it's the gradual build up of heat in the house with day after day of hot weather, which is impossible to get rid of until temperatures cool down. All down to the design of houses in the UK which are designed to keep in, which is fine for two thirds of the year. Thursday night was definitely the worst.

Yes despite cooler nightime minima Friday and more so last night, and maxima, my flat is still retaining heat and probably won't cool down notably until Tuesday.. 

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes despite cooler nightime minima Friday and more so last night, and maxima, my flat is still retaining heat and probably won't cool down notably until Tuesday.. 

I don't know if yours is an upstairs flat, but I do feel for people living in that type of residence in hot weather.  In a house, the upstairs retains the heat round the clock, but at least things cool 'a little' downstairs later in the evening and overnight periods.

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Yes, it's the gradual build up of heat in the house with day after day of hot weather, which is impossible to get rid of until temperatures cool down. All down to the design of houses in the UK which are designed to keep heat in, which is fine for two thirds of the year. Thursday night was definitely the worst.

Quite right there, I'm in a cottage, mid terrace, in town.  Only have 4 windows in total to open, daughters bedroom window is outsized for her small room and she's south facing, how she's managed to sleep is beyond me.  I was enjoying the high temps until sleep deprivation and lack of energy set in. Thought that days on end at 28°plus would be my ideal summer, I was wrong, I need the cooler nights more.  High temps fine in short bursts, how does everyone else feel?  Could you have done another week or two like the one we have just had?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
23 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Quite right there, I'm in a cottage, mid terrace, in town.  Only have 4 windows in total to open, daughters bedroom window is outsized for her small room and she's south facing, how she's managed to sleep is beyond me.  I was enjoying the high temps until sleep deprivation and lack of energy set in. Thought that days on end at 28°plus would be my ideal summer, I was wrong, I need the cooler nights more.  High temps fine in short bursts, how does everyone else feel?  Could you have done another week or two like the one we have just had?

I'd grin and bear it but next summer I am arming myself with an AC unit. Not going through that heat again, this year was the final straw. Watch this it'll be coolest wettest summer on record!

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I'd grin and bear it but next summer I am arming myself with an AC unit. Not going through that heat again, this year was the final straw. Watch this it'll be coolest wettest summer on record!

LOL that's it now you've cursed 2022.  I've thought about window shutters instead of curtains, tiles instead of carpets, then I would spend winter moaning my house was too cold.  AC unit the better option, shop wisely for your unit, I hear some can be quite noisy.

• Like 4

Posted

I'm heading over the Pennines again tomorrow, and it looks from the 7-day forecast on Country File that we may be enjoying some of the warmest weather in the country in N Yorkshire, although not as hot as last week. Evenings on the balcony will do me fine, even if it is with a jersey on!

• Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes, ditto. Full blown aircon system would cost an arm and a leg, but I've already been eyeing up the price of mobile units, which would have the advantage of being able to be moved from room to room as required.

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

LOL that's it now you've cursed 2022.  I've thought about window shutters instead of curtains, tiles instead of carpets, then I would spend winter moaning my house was too cold.  AC unit the better option, shop wisely for your unit, I hear some can be quite noisy.

Yes, noise would be a consideration, but I would hope quieter than a fan, but would actually be cold and should keep the whole room cooler whereas the fan is just very localised cooling. The units in the static caravans abroad are usually fairly quiet, but might be beyond my budget as a result!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
4 hours ago, Dexter said:

It not the heat that's the issue its the Humidity that gets to you 28c can be quite pleasant if the Humidity is low one reason i can sit out in the heat in Greece but struggle in this country.

C.S

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, Dexter said:

I don't know if yours is an upstairs flat, but I do feel for people living in that type of residence in hot weather.  In a house, the upstairs retains the heat round the clock, but at least things cool 'a little' downstairs later in the evening and overnight periods.

I'm fortunate it is really the ground floor of a very large stone built house. There is a cellar below. It is west facing with very large bay window making it very light, great in that respect, but also allows lots of heat in from the sun. Thankfully bedroom is north facing and stays cooler.

I also feel for anyone on a higher level or simply in poorly ventilated buildings and houses with few windows. I lived on the top attic room of a terraced house once and it was always a furnace, with small velux windows.

• Like 3

Posted

?? made it to Kent… had thunderstorm on m25 before dartford crossing… water everywhere other carriageway… 25c here bbq with friends in sunshine ☀️ amazing evening  

saw on cctv nice and dry at home.. 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 4