Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

A change is a foot next week. Forecast to turn cooler and more unsettled, especially in the north, as we start to revert to a more typical Atlantic flow.

Posted

Well if this is the last day or so before a bit of a breakdown then I think we've done pretty well in this region for the past month. Another glorious day and a stunning blue sky. I'd give the first third of summer an 8 out of 10. Bit more heat and a little more sun wouldn't have gone amiss. 

20210701_125715.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
27 minutes ago, PennineMark said:

Well if this is the last day or so before a bit of a breakdown then I think we've done pretty well in this region for the past month. Another glorious day and a stunning blue sky. I'd give the first third of summer an 8 out of 10. Bit more heat and a little more sun wouldn't have gone amiss. 

20210701_125715.jpg

Yes it’s been a lovely day here as well. Temperature wise it’s been perfect for me. Sunshine wise a little disappointing, especially given how dry it is. Cloudy weather when it’s dry often feels frustrating because you think “why isn’t it raining”? or “why isn’t it sunny”? Rain wise I’d actually like a bit more rain. And thunder. And variety in general.

I’ll remember this month as being rather pleasant, very dry but also very benign and rather forgettable, due to the lack of heatwaves, washout days, thunder and just variable weather in general.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
52 minutes ago, PennineMark said:

20210701_125715.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind when the sun shines combined with the scenery of the Cumbrian Fells, South Dales , Bowland Trough and the lush Cheshire Plain, the Northwest of England is the best region to  live. Still love to come back when opportunity prevails. I also love the pubs and the pies   

C

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

There is no doubt in my mind when the sun shines combined with the scenery of the Cumbrian Fells, South Dales , Bowland Trough and the lush Cheshire Plain, the Northwest of England is the best region to  live. Still love to come back when opportunity prevails. I also love the pubs and the pies   

C

Don't forget the Peak District 

• Like 4

Posted
36 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Of course. I love Bakewell and its tarts ! Yes, the towns of Skipton in North Yorkshire and Buxton in Derbyshire are really in NW England geographically as so to speak.! I remember the Peak well from my cricket and football days.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Been a stunning day. Cloud soon burned off and much more sun than the last few days with a temp up to 21C so far.

Just perfect not too warm.

• Like 5

Posted
15 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well if we got this synoptic setup in the winter then the south would be cold and snowy while we would just be dry and mostly sunny. So maybe a sign of things to come next winter?

If we get blocking highs to our west and N/NE then the jet can easily track even further south like in 2010, 2013, 2018 etc giving Spain and Portugal a soaking. Leaving us all in the UK with a good chance of the white stuff. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

C

IMO the Lake District is the most beautiful place in the UK. The first time I went it literally took my breath away. Stunning.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 hours ago, Had Worse said:

You’ve started something now.

The South Pennines, The English national park that never got the go ahead.

Considered too industrialised and grimy for NP status at the time and it’s not as spectacular as parts of the Lakes, Dales, Peaks etc but there are few places where man made and Mother Nature blend so well together.

hopefully it will get some sort of protected status in the future but just a shame it didn’t happen before much of it became wind farm central.

Maybe this was what George Osborne’s meant by Northern Powerhouse.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Turning more hay. 20210701_130629.thumb.jpg.8999c0f3f3cbc4c91256eeedb2627b4f.jpg20210701_132548.thumb.jpg.4a38dfc7a414eb8aa8deca850c942e38.jpg

Weather and scenery both look stunning.

I used to love hay making when I was a kid and still like watching it when I’m out walking although as many of the local working farms have been sold on to non farmers, it’s done on a lot smaller scale these days and much of it is big bale silage anyway.

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

IMO the Lake District is the most beautiful place in the UK. The first time I went it literally took my breath away. Stunning.

When it's not chucking it down, which let's face it that is 80% of the time it's a stunning place with great views from the fell tops. My brother used to live in Bowness for 15 years but a few years ago he moved to Cornwall. But he might move back to the Lakes as he still isn't keen about living in Cornwall for good. He's always moaning about the seagulls waking him up through the night haha. He's tried everything humane to get rid of them but the fisherman next door keeps encouraging them. But he's living on the coast what do you expect?

• Like 4

Posted

i have been lucky enough to live in and travel to some wonderful places in the world but if I had to return back to Blighty to live, I would head to The Hodder Valley in The Bowland Fells of NE Lancashire. Apparently  the Queen used to sneak some precious moments there as she owns most of the land in the area. Every village needs a great pub and there is one special one, The Inn at Whitewell.

C

• Like 4

Posted
16 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Or the West Pennine Moors, and what about Pendle?  Then there's the coastal areas too.  I have a particularly soft spot for the Fylde, and for the Arnside/Silverdale area.  We have everything in the NW.

• Like 5

Posted
37 minutes ago, Inga Horwood said:

Or the West Pennine Moors, and what about Pendle?  Then there's the coastal areas too.  I have a particularly soft spot for the Fylde, and for the Arnside/Silverdale area.  We have everything in the NW.

Yes and three great  English National Parks in the region. Even Snowdonia with-in its realms.

C

• Like 2

Posted

A cloudier day so far but warm. Current temp 22.4 degrees. Rather hazy skies. Some showers have popped up over the Pennines. Might see one or two over Lakeland fells this afternoon. Looks like we are entering a much wetter spell.. how long it lasts remains to be seen. The year has been punctuated by dry and wet periods rather than mixed...

• Like 4

Posted

Early finish from work gave me the chance to cut the grass before the weekends monsoon starts.

given the pretty much dry month the region has had it’ll come has a bit of a shock to the system to have some heavy rain, just hope it’s something we don’t have to get used to.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I made maximum use of natures drying process and I have two maidens at the ready and I'm not afraid to use them.

• Like 4

Posted
On 01/07/2021 at 14:00, carinthian said:

C

I'm not so sure. There are lots of beautiful parts of the UK. I'd say (in my opinion) that Devon and Cornwall are more picturesque, what with the lovely beaches, stunning coastline, palm trees, Dartmoor and the English Riveria. Don't get me wrong, the Lake District and Fylde coast are nice too, but Devon and Cornwall take the crown in my mind. The south west of England is also my favourite climate in the UK.

Id say that the south east of England and East Anglia is probably the least interesting part of the UK. Sure, London has lots of famous landmarks, but outside of London, it's not that interesting just miles of nothing but flat land and fields.

On 01/07/2021 at 15:43, carinthian said:

Of course. I love Bakewell and its tarts ! Yes, the towns of Skipton in North Yorkshire and Buxton in Derbyshire are really in NW England geographically as so to speak.! I remember the Peak well from my cricket and football days.

C

I thought Skipton was in the Yorkshire and Humberside region. I remember back in the winter I was in tier 3 while they were in tier 2. You couldn't go to a restaurant in East Lancashire but you could drive 10 miles up the road and eat in Skipton! Crazy that!

On 01/07/2021 at 16:40, CreweCold said:

It's beautiful, sure, but so is Devon and Cornwall and they get much less rain and more sunshine. It's also warmer down there too.

• Like 1

Posted

I don’t know whether it’s just that I’ve been doing a bit of hard graft but tonight seems more sultry outside than any other evening so far this year.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A warm, muggy day here. A lively looking shower moving in from the SW at the moment.

• Like 4