Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
21 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Once again not a drop of rain materialises. Sunday however does look wet and the ground round here needs it. Getting cracked and the grass is becoming yellow. A sign of drought stress.

Surprised as the grass is still quite lush and green here, and alough the back lane is looking a little dusty I've not noticed any cracks in the ground. Anyway, Sunday will soon sort out that...

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Did we really think when parts of the region were put under the yellow area, we were in with a chance?  

Nope! I've given up  with those warnings as so often the thunder and lightning never happens. In the past I've got my hopes up only to be let down. I know it's very hard to forecast but come on. Now when I see those warnings I don't get my hopes up, I just assume it's not going to happen and if it does happen it's a bonus.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Well we were one of the worse spots in England yesterday temp and sunshine wise, tlrole reverse tomorrow, looks like the Lake District could be a sweet spot, sunshine and temp wise, a rarity indeed!

3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Another example of a NW-SE divide, this time we are best placed! Clear blue skies this morning, compare to the heavy rain in the SE! Makes a change!

Just cloudy and feeling cooler here. Only forecast to get up to 16 today, with the possibility of some rain later on. Saturday forecast to be dry and cloudy with a high of 19. Sunday and Monday looking poor, only 15 degrees.

• Like 2

Posted

Rain creeping ever closer to eastern fringes of the region.  Wonder if we'll see any fall here.  Regardless  it won't be heavy and thundery like it is in the south east.  

• Like 5

Posted

Close but no cigar… rain not making it over Pennines 

my brother in Denmark ?? just text to say it’s 32c toda
just looked at current temps… it’s 32 in n Germany/Poland and 33c in Sweden 

ACE13442-40A2-46C4-94DF-221C5B66DD84.jpeg

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 6

Posted

Loving dodging the rain and enjoying this long dry summery spell.  Can't scarce remember filthy wet weather.  Only 3.8mm this month so far. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
5 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

Loving dodging the rain and enjoying this long dry summery spell.  Can't scarce remember filthy wet weather.  Only 3.8mm this month so far. 

Looks like your part of the world  the driest in the Kingdom , so far this month. Funny how  a very dry April, followed by a very wet May and now looks like a very dry June up in the Northwestern Regions.  Probably a slowing down phase of the Atlantic influence ?  Who knows !  but does seem a prolonged spell of meridional  type rather than the normal zonal flow.

C

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A sky full of dark threatening clouds here but so far the drought is hanging on by it’s fingertips.

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, iand61 said:

A sky full of dark threatening clouds here but so far the drought is hanging on by it’s fingertips.

Spitting with rain enough to see splodges on patio… even an hour of heavy rain would suffice  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

Spitting with rain enough to see splodges on patio… even an hour of heavy rain would suffice  

Yeah I’ll take an hour or so of rain providing tomorrow is dry and sunny to get out in the garden.

looking like a washout on Sunday though.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Looks like your part of the world  the driest in the Kingdom , so far this month. Funny how  a very dry April, followed by a very wet May and now looks like a very dry June up in the Northwestern Regions.  Probably a slowing down phase of the Atlantic influence ?  Who knows !  but does seem a prolonged spell of meridional  type rather than the normal zonal flow.

C

I don't think it's entirely unheard of. I think April-early June is our driest period of the year on average for our region. May was clearly an enigma though that went against the grain.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
25 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I don't think it's entirely unheard of. I think April-early June is our driest period of the year on average for our region. May was clearly an enigma though that went against the grain.

I think it is over the past few years. I do remember my time in Cheshire back in the 60s/70s and early 80s lots of April showers and many a wet start or delay to the cricket season.

C

• Like 4

Posted
27 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes April to mid June statistically our driest period of the year. May was an oddity though, very wet, so far June has been very dry, a rather unusual period rainfall wise.. all indicative of the highly meridional spell we've been in since December.

• Like 4

Posted

Aaaaand now South Manchester is forecast to be dry until Thursday (light shower 30% chance). Automated MetO forecast, hope it's wrong.

• Like 2

Posted

Nope even Sunday's deluge forecast a few days ago has now been tailed back to an overnight Saturday, early Sunday dampening of the ground.  Not overly concerned about lack of rain, as soon as those winds switch back to westerly we will have no shortage of the stuff.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

If we don't get any proper rain tonight or tomorrow it will be a good 3+weeks without. But not unusual. Reservoir levels look fine according to the United utilities website, slightly above normal for the time of year, no doubt the May monsoon helped that. So even if we get a bone dry rest of summer we're still good to go.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted

I'm noticing one or two areas out and about where the grass is starting to turn a straw colour.

Euro 4 has very little rain or no rain (54hrs accumulation) for region. 

21062112_1906.gif

Looks like there is going to a large difference in rainfall totals for this June between the NW and central,southeast England. 

• Like 2

Posted
22 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Close but no cigar… rain not making it over Pennines 

my brother in Denmark ?? just text to say it’s 32c toda
just looked at current temps… it’s 32 in n Germany/Poland and 33c in Sweden 

ACE13442-40A2-46C4-94DF-221C5B66DD84.jpeg

Not often the Pennines act as a rain shadow in our favour! Usually it’s the other way around, the rain gets stuck on our side while east of the Pennies just gets a bit of drizzle.

22 hours ago, Rain Lady said:

I agree extremely unusual for our region as well, especially where you are exposed to those moist south-westerly winds.

22 hours ago, carinthian said:

C

Yes we do seem to get more meridional/blocking weather patterns rather than zonal weather like we used to. So instead of getting changeable weather like a couple of sunny days then couple of rainy days then sunshine and showers etc we now get weeks and weeks of dry sunny weather and then weeks and weeks of wet weather.

8 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Could be one of those peculiar quirks of a very wet month sandwiched between two dry ones.

Look how dry GFS 0z was for our region

GFSOPUK00_288_18.png

Absolutely amazing how it’s happened like that!  Usually we are one of the wettest spots except for Northwest Scotland!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

At   the Peels Arms in Padfield. Nice surprise and excellent beer and food all round

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I'm noticing one or two areas out and about where the grass is starting to turn a straw colour.

Euro 4 has very little rain or no rain (54hrs accumulation) for region. 

21062112_1906.gif

Looks like there is going to a large difference in rainfall totals for this June between the NW and central,southeast England. 

Quite often see charts along those lines posted in winter relating to snow cover and snow depths. Has been remarkably dry here for weeks now, with no real frontal rainfall on the way for at least another 6 days. 

• Like 3

Posted

Grand weather this year for these longest days, but there's a chilly wind at times. Thermals on again to go watering the garden. There's an old saying up here that Midsummer can be as cold as Christmas.  I remember one midsummer -- I think 1971 -- visitors from London came to stay and couldn't keep warm.  Overcoats, gloves and scarves borrowed. 

Can be a tiring and busy time of year.  Long light evenings and dry weather bring a temptation to work till (dark?).     Then woken up with birds chattering at silly o'clock.   But better than gloom and rain, though a few showers in the night would be welcome.

• Like 5

Posted

What a beautiful evening its turned into and what a good month its been. Can't remember any rain 19 days in. Hope it continues. 

20210619_190312.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

A bit breezy out now and it’s having no problem blowing the dust about, the ground is so dry now.

If this set up was in mid winter, we’d have been going ballistic watching enviously as the south got plastered in snow while we stayed dry but in summer, you can’t beat southerly tracking systems.

as they love to say in the mod thread……….channel low anybody.

• Like 6