Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
34 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Anything thundery in your rain?

Just had a few spots of rain, clouds look full of moisture with ragged pannus which for a minute there seemed to be a bit of slight rotation, but couldn't be sure.  Doesn't look like anything will spark.

IMG_20210609_192055.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I remember last year's Supercell being in the direct line of it, the day was so humid similar to the type of climate you'd normally find in Florida that sporadic showers kept coming/going throughout the day but there was still a cap in place so they didn't equate to much. It wasn't until midnight'ish when the action began after the storms across Liverpool and the Isle of Man had moved north, standing out on the open field I was originally hoping to photograph NLCs with the tops of the Anvils over Lancs being illuminated by lightning but instead my attention was focused directly upwards and noticing that the clouds were explosively moving upwards in all kinds of directions until the first few lightning strikes began taking place down towards Leek, then Macc, then in the space of 10 minutes all hell broke loose and for a good 2 hours there was strobe-like lightning all around.

I went through at least 2 fully-charged DSLR batteries that day, having the camera shutter locked onto burst mode. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Only thing going for that summer. July was absolutely dire 

Didn’t even get a major thunderstorm In August and I missed a lot of the thunderstorms that other parts of the region got in June. So it wasn’t even a particularly good summer for thunder here. I agree about July being absolutely dire. The main maximum was only around 17° here (around 3° below average) with below average sunshine and above average rainfall. Didn’t even reach 20° here until the final two days.

The strange thing was the synoptic charts didn’t look that bad though. It’s not like we had intense nothing blocking with deep troughs anchored over the UK, just constant westerly/north westerly winds, which normally bring reasonable sunshine levels even if the temperatures are very mediocre, so why temperatures were so suppressed I’m not sure.

August was definitely the best month of the summer hear that even that month wasn’t great. It was unsettled during the middle of the month and then went very chilly and cloudy right at the end.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Anything thundery in your rain?

Nope. Just a bit of patchy drizzle here. Very typical for a SW wind.

Posted
1 hour ago, Rush2112 said:

Just had a few spots of rain, clouds look full of moisture with ragged pannus which for a minute there seemed to be a bit of slight rotation, but couldn't be sure.  Doesn't look like anything will spark.

IMG_20210609_192055.jpg

Same here, just a tiny bit of light drain/drizzle at times late afternoon and early evening. Very common with the Southwesterly wind to get dark threatening looking clouds but you end up only getting a bit of light rain or drizzle for a few seconds.

• Like 1

Posted

A rather odd day, started off a bit overcast, skies cleared at times to reveal patch blue but no sunshine, then around lunchtime we had a 10 minute burst of very fine rain, it then cleared up again, became overcast around 4pm and we had a lengthier burst of rain for about 2 hours which gave a bit of a soaking, since its been overcast but dry, very low cloud.

Tomorrow looks overcast. Friday some light rain early on. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

A rather odd day, started off a bit overcast, skies cleared at times to reveal patch blue but no sunshine, then around lunchtime we had a 10 minute burst of very fine rain, it then cleared up again, became overcast around 4pm and we had a lengthier burst of rain for about 2 hours which gave a bit of a soaking, since its been overcast but dry, very low cloud.

Tomorrow looks overcast. Friday some light rain early on. 

Unfortunately the hills and especially the fells tend to have a habit of squeezing out all the moisture in the clouds when we get a SW flow. It’s been wall to wall cloud here as well but only had a bit of patchy drizzle at times.

Posted
1 hour ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I remember last year's Supercell being in the direct line of it, the day was so humid similar to the type of climate you'd normally find in Florida that sporadic showers kept coming/going throughout the day but there was still a cap in place so they didn't equate to much. It wasn't until midnight'ish when the action began after the storms across Liverpool and the Isle of Man had moved north, standing out on the open field I was originally hoping to photograph NLCs with the tops of the Anvils over Lancs being illuminated by lightning but instead my attention was focused directly upwards and noticing that the clouds were explosively moving upwards in all kinds of directions until the first few lightning strikes began taking place down towards Leek, then Macc, then in the space of 10 minutes all hell broke loose and for a good 2 hours there was strobe-like lightning all around.

I went through at least 2 fully-charged DSLR batteries that day, having the camera shutter locked onto burst mode. 

I’d be very careful if I were you!   It was only a few weeks ago that a poor boy was killed after getting struck by lightning while playing football in an open field outdoors. Happened in this region as well. You have have heard it on the news. Very unlikely to happen (only around 2 people on average die from lightning strikes a year, though many more are injured) but something to be aware of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Unfortunately the hills and especially the fells tend to have a habit of squeezing out all the moisture in the clouds when we get a SW flow. It’s been wall to wall cloud here as well but only had a bit of patchy drizzle at times.

The reverse happens here, under a SW airstream we are fully exposed to no relief thanks to the Irish Sea, westerly airstream as well, but we tend to be sheltered more in NW and especially N airstreams, a rain shadow effect under NE, E and SE airstreams, not so the case with southerlies though. A long fetch SW flow almost always brings low cloud and overcast skies, and minima brightness.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’d be very careful if I were you!   It was only a few weeks ago that a poor boy was killed after getting struck by lightning while playing football in an open field outdoors. Happened in this region as well. You have have heard it on the news. Very unlikely to happen (only around 2 people on average die from lightning strikes a year, though many more are injured) but something to be aware of.

Its tragic for anyone and their family caught out by a rogue lightning strike with fatal consequences, i'm always aware of the dangers being a MLTE trainee and ultra-race volunteer so i'm always risk-assessing based on observations around me with the option to 'bail' home that's only a minute or two away. Being trapped in the 'bears cage' aka middle of the lightning core isn't something i'd go out of my way to experience especially knowing how powerful a lightning strike actually is (we have 2 large oak tree's closer than a 30 second walk away from the drive which often get hit) and photographic-wise with all the rain and murk the lightning doesn't have too much visible structure to it. My main jaunts up on the field is mostly to catch anvil lightning or CC that's many miles away (normally towards Sheffield, N.Manchester or Cheshire) although if the skies are clear I can see lightning as far south as Birmingham.  

Finger's crossed however tomorrow morning is one of those days the skies are clear, as the Partial Solar Eclipse will be happening between 10am and Midday, after that the weather can do what it wants 

• Like 3

Posted

It's sods-law that after a week of mornings with clear skies the weather decides to throw a persistent overcast cloud-layer just as the Partial Eclipse got underway, although looking at sat24 it's interesting to see a bit of darkness towards the north Atlantic despite the Eclipse only being Annular.

From here my best view of it is on Stellarium.

stellarium-000.thumb.png.25a4323806af5d047bbaee6e467ebd2a.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Cloudy but dry here in South Cheshire but it isn't half humid took dog out then had to go for a shower to freshen up hopefully the cloud will break this afternoon as per the forecast 

C.S

• Like 5

Posted

I take that back, on a whim I had a wander into the garden just to check on the clouds and they've thinned briefly enough to see Partiality at 11:38am from here

DSC_0074.thumb.JPG.5af2ba0de77691b4d94d0fa56ec7511e.JPGDSC_0082.thumb.JPG.8fcde8cb3cebf017c3ed852a964dacbd.JPG

• Like 6

Posted

Hmm, I'm not sure where the heavy rain at 3 is going to come from...

image.thumb.png.12ea1a0b482cc2d357be60d5d44b1f5b.png

image.thumb.png.d8c1f700a9dc6421de920b913d92fb8e.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
4 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

Cloudy but dry here in South Cheshire but it isn't half humid took dog out then had to go for a shower to freshen up hopefully the cloud will break this afternoon as per the forecast 

C.S

Bang on Q cloud's are breaking and some lovely warm sunshine 

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Could be looking at some local heat records broken across the western States next week as an intense area of heat develops over the Great Basin. Death Valley likely to exceed 50C. Probably 53 or 54C with an upper air mass like this in the 30s!

gfsna-1-186.png?6

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Could be looking at some local heat records broken across the western States next week as an intense area of heat develops over the Great Basin. Death Valley likely to exceed 50C. Probably 53 or 54C with an upper air mass like this in the 30s!

gfsna-1-186.png?6

I’m very grateful for living in a maritime climate as alough we get a lot of cloudy damp weather at least we don’t get those kind of extremes. I don’t know how people deal with that kind of heat.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
33 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m very grateful for living in a maritime climate as alough we get a lot of cloudy damp weather at least we don’t get those kind of extremes. I don’t know how people deal with that kind of heat.

I worked over there in 2002 and lived for 6 months (May until October) in Brawley, California and then Chicago from October 2002 until September 2003. The part of California I was in can get very hot. Almost every day the temp was above 40C in the summer and the odd day high 30s. It's a case of having air conditioning and leaving it on most of the day and night. Leaving windows open only cooks you and inside the home as you are just letting the heat in. So no windows open but curtains shut leaving the air con to do it's magic. Going out early in the morning and during the evening is essential too. Nearby was the Algodones Dunes which look like the Sahara, was great fun walking over them. Then I lived in Chicago which was very cold in Winter, so I swapped one extreme for the other.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
image.php?logo=0&playbutton=1&s=1&img=bF
WWW.EARTHCAM.COM

EarthCam and the National Park Service have partnered to deliver live views of Fort McHenry in Maryland. Best known for its role in the War of 1812 when it successfully defended Baltimore Harbor from an attack...

Turn the sound up, really great cracks from the CGs

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I worked over there in 2002 and lived for 6 months (May until October) in Brawley, California and then Chicago from October 2002 until September 2003. The part of California I was in can get very hot. Almost every day the temp was above 40C in the summer and the odd day high 30s. It's a case of having air conditioning and leaving it on most of the day and night. Leaving windows open only cooks you and inside the home as you are just letting the heat in. So no windows open but curtains shut leaving the air con to do it's magic. Going out early in the morning and during the evening is essential too. Nearby was the Algodones Dunes which look like the Sahara, was great fun walking over them. Then I lived in Chicago which was very cold in Winter, so I swapped one extreme for the other.

Yeah it’s all okay until the air con breaks down! The coastal part of California is actually much cooler, due to the cold Pacific Ocean. In fact in San Francisco a lot of the residents complain because of the cool and foggy summers.

• Like 2

Posted

A rather uninspiring early summers day, overcast throughout with the odd bit of dirzzle, we had a brief moderate burst enough to fill a few holes with water..

Tomorrow looks a poor start with some light rain, but improving as the day wears on, we will lose the humidity as well with atlantic air moving in from a cooler source.

The weekend is looking very good, not wall to wall sunshine but decent temps and plenty of sunshine.

• Like 3

Posted

Surprisingly good weather up here in Highlands apart from yesterday’s rain here in Trislaig opposite Fort William…. Been 20-24c and quite sunny ☀️ most afternoons… 

today popped on the Jacobite train to Mallaig… where most pubs/restaurants were strangely shut… 

off to morar beach tomorrow 

733EB86E-CED4-40BE-B15C-E509414C7C57.jpeg

B8F6EFD0-31A0-4FC5-B56F-8C36C6CEEAF5.jpeg

43FDACA2-A133-4038-B2F9-4A86B86C46C6.jpeg

24A4B26C-253C-4DAE-87EC-4577A7D2C3F5.jpeg

61C7111B-4D2D-4955-8ADE-1D259AA11DD3.jpeg

• Like 9