Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
2 hours ago, Dexter said:

Been in the Lake District this week. Weather has been glorious. Temp reached 26C today according to car thermometer, though I suspect this may be reading a degree or two higher than the actual temp, based on the reports above. Unstable looking skies overhead right now, but I think this will be too far North for any decent storm activity. Looking good for back home though...

Topped out just above 23 degrees, car thermometers are often about 3 degrees above actual air temp. Think we might see quite a bit of rain overnight looking at current radar, could all break up by the time it reaches here.. but will be surprised to miss out.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Merseyside/Cheshire crew radar looks tasty for you. Clouds looking a bit more threatening over here too.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Happy with seeing a good lightening show later but I hope the rain keeps away.

After weeks of wet weather, I’ve just got used to the ground drying and don’t miss rain one bit.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
29 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Merseyside/Cheshire crew radar looks tasty for you. Clouds looking a bit more threatening over here too.

A few big splodges of rain but looks like it's going to miss us by a whisker. 

• Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Happy with seeing a good lightening show later but I hope the rain keeps away.

When ? I would have thought if we were due any lightning it would be now at the front of the front ?

• Like 2

Posted

Just going for a 'wetting of the ground' here... not sure if Merseyside got any lightning earlier on but all the fun was out west in that area.  Feeling warm and a little muggy but no atmospheric fireworks over my vicinity.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 2

Posted

Looks like the thundery action is out west, a few red cells in n Ireland and some now appearing in N Wales, much if the region might only end up with just a slight dampening of the ground. Some coastal parts might see something a bit heavier.. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
6 hours ago, Backtrack said:

Second day in a row we have been one of, if not the warmest place in the UK, topping out around 28C

4 hours ago, Joe Snow said:

Topped out at 27c this afternoon here in S Cheshire lots of hazy sunshine but looking as if rain/ a storm is brewing for this evening as the front moves north. Not as humid a day as it would feel in July/ August mind. 

Incredible. It's not like we've had really high upper air temperatures or a Spanish plume just high-pressure and a gentle south-easterly flow. 

• Like 4

Posted

While I'm definitely enjoying this weather, I'm actually looking forward to a cooler and cloudier day tomorrow. I find continuous warmth and sunshine gets a bit irritating after a while. Nice to have a break. Forecast to reach 19°C and mostly cloudy tomorrow here which is still decently warm and is a lot warmer than what we had during most of May. After tomorrow it's forecast to be 19-21°C and sunny intervals for the rest of this week and next week which is perfect summer weather for me. 

• Like 1

Posted

Just started raining here.

Posted

Overcast today but still feeling warm. Currently about 18° with 75% humidity.

• Like 2

Posted
14 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Incredible. It's not like we've had really high upper air temperatures or a Spanish plume just high-pressure and a gentle south-easterly flow. 

Don't need high uppers to produce mid to high 20s at this time of year, just high pressure overhead and a light SE drift can easily do the job. Bit like the cold dense air that produces near freezing maxima early Dec with high pressure overhead and light winds, no cold uppers needed. We are nearing max sunshine levels and this has a big impact.

Today much gloomier here, low misty cloud, a few spots of drizzle but not enough to dampen the ground. Current temp a good 6 degrees down on this time yesterday, currently 17.4 degrees. 

• Like 2

Posted

Cooler and cloudier today but should be more sun tomorrow and warmer again. Nothing particularly chilly or unsettled on the horizon but I'm always wary when summer bursts out of the blocks quick because unless it's like 2003 or 2018 we often pay for it in July and August.

• Like 5

Posted
44 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Cooler and cloudier today but should be more sun tomorrow and warmer again. Nothing particularly chilly or unsettled on the horizon but I'm always wary when summer bursts out of the blocks quick because unless it's like 2003 or 2018 we often pay for it in July and August.

So true that, tend to get good in May and June and then it goes all goes pear-shaped in July and August. Even August 2018 was rather poor here with sunshine and temperatures both below average, but at least rainfall wasn’t too bad. We’ve had a very poor May though this year so hopefully we will get a good July, August and September.

• Like 4

Posted

Nice morning, feeling fresher than last few days. Currently around 16°C with 55% humidity. ?

Rescued a wood pigeon this morning after my cat decided to catch it.

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

It might just be me but having lived in both the NW and London/ the SE I feel early summer tends to bring generally better summer weather than mid summer (school summer holidays onwards) up here in the NW. I have known countless late July and August days where it’s been 27c and sunny at London Euston and I get off the train in Crewe to 20c and muggy cloudy murk. Even hot summers such as 2018 were better early on up here - June 2018 was a cracker of a month for the NW from memory whereas the peak of the hot weather down south was more late July time I remember getting very sunburnt in 33c heat down in Windsor at the very end of July!  

Today is a case in point of this pattern it’s cool and rainy in London whereas it’s a decent early summers day up here. This summer pattern then tends to slip around mid July right in time for the school holidays! Maybe that’s why the Scots break up at the end of June!  

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Joe Snow said:

It might just be me but having lived in both the NW and London/ the SE I feel early summer tends to bring generally better summer weather than mid summer (school summer holidays onwards) up here in the NW. I have known countless late July and August days where it’s been 27c and sunny at London Euston and I get off the train in Crewe to 20c and muggy cloudy murk. Even hot summers such as 2018 were better early on up here - June 2018 was a cracker of a month for the NW from memory whereas the peak of the hot weather down south was more late July time I remember getting very sunburnt in 33c heat down in Windsor at the very end of July!  

Today is a case in point of this pattern it’s cool and rainy in London whereas it’s a decent early summers day up here. This summer pattern then tends to slip around mid July right in time for the school holidays! Maybe that’s why the Scots break up at the end of June!  

Me too JS (London & North West) and I could not agree more. I suggest this extends up the West coast to the north west of Scotland where May and early June can produce some lovely weather, certainly in comparison with later in the summer.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Joe Snow said:

Yes rainfall stats show as the summer wears on, on average it's become wetter here. However much rain may come courtesy of thundery downpours rather than frontal features. Early summer tends to be more stable, less warm, less chance of thundery rain, and generally a quieter Atlantic with more chance of northerly or easterly airstreams which favours the west more. Late June generally sees a deterioration to wetter and less settled, not always though..

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
1 hour ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Me too JS (London & North West) and I could not agree more. I suggest this extends up the West coast to the north west of Scotland where May and early June can produce some lovely weather, certainly in comparison with later in the summer.

Definitely mid-late August can feel almost Autumnal in Scotland on a cool rainy weather day the best of summer already over. That said London’s microclimate in recent summer heatwaves can make it uncomfortably hot in the summer 36c in central London and 40c+ on the tube is not something I want to experience again. The SE has a lot more continental influenced climate both summer and winter - much more so than those that live down there would like to admit!

• Like 5

Posted

Beautiful day, really strong sun, even now at 6:30. ☀️ sat in the garden in t-shirt and shorts. Now to gloat in the summer moans thread, where it's been cool and wet down in the SE! ☔

• Like 6

Posted

A nice comfortably warm day. If it stays like this all summer and in the low 20s I'd be chuffed but no doubt we'll get a roasting hot plume move up from Spain and Africa before August is out and the usual sensationalist headline of "heat bomb" . The only good thing is we usually get a lot of instability with that air mass so not without interest. ⛈️

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 6