Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted

Radar shows lightest shade of blue over us this morning, the reality is we are seeing fleeting spots of rain but not enough to dampen the ground.. it's a very weak front almost fizzling in situ as it hits the ridge, evidence of this shown in the high cloud levels, fells are clear, was expecting a low cloud mist filled sort of day, but its turning into a much better day than anticipated. Plenty of dry weather ahead..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

The threat of any rain here in the south of the region thankfully has not materialised however it is overcast but quite a pleasant feel cracking week coming up the potential for 25 or 26c come Wednesday enjoy

C.S

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

The threat of any rain here in the south of the region thankfully has not materialised however it is overcast but quite a pleasant feel cracking week coming up the potential for 25 or 26c come Wednesday enjoy

C.S

Just had some spits of rain about half an hour ago here but not even enough to dampen the ground. A bit of a dull blip tomorrow then it still looks great from Sunday to Weds. I'm going to make the most of it given how shocking the last couple of months have been. Get the vitamin d topped up as well

• Like 6

Posted

Cloudy but warm humid feeling day some brighter/sunny spells but also some drizzle/rain drops… maxed at 20c

hopefully sunny ☀️ and blue skies from tomorrow to Thursday… then off to highlands near Fort William for a week eating Scottish seafood and hiking  

not sure weather will play ball even so just glad to get away for a week

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
14 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

It can't make its mind up this morning. Cloudy one minute but then bright the next. and with spots of rain in the air at the same time. Looking forward to a warm sunny day tomorrow!

Classic British weather lol.

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Just had some spits of rain about half an hour ago here but not even enough to dampen the ground. A bit of a dull blip tomorrow then it still looks great from Sunday to Weds. I'm going to make the most of it given how shocking the last couple of months have been. Get the vitamin d topped up as well

I don't think April was too bad actually a bit chilly but it was dry and sunny. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I don't think April was too bad actually a bit chilly but it was dry and sunny. 

Coldest April since at least 1989 (officially that is) but locally my records show it was the coldest April since moving into this house in 1977. That's when I first started recording the weather.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Coldest April since at least 1989 (officially that is) but locally my records show it was the coldest April since moving into this house in 1977. That's when I first started recording the weather.

Yes I heard that too but I find that hard to believe as it didn't feel that cold to me. To me it felt no colder than 2008, 2013 or 2016 which all had snowy spells if I remember correctly. Maybe it was because it was a very dry and sunny month and most of the cold anomaly was at night rather than during the day which made it feel less cold than the CET suggests. It was a nicer April than 2012 anyway.

• Like 3

Posted

Well the start of the day wasn't cloudy, pretty nice sunrise and warming up from a low of only 10c!...but alas I fear the cloud is maybe starting to roll in as forecast.  Still the next four days are an early summers dream.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
16 minutes ago, dodge said:

Well the start of the day wasn't cloudy, pretty nice sunrise and warming up from a low of only 10c!...but alas I fear the cloud is maybe starting to roll in as forecast.  Still the next four days are an early summers dream.

Was going to post something similar myself.

Expected to wake up to cloudy skies and what was forecast to be the worst day of the BH weekend but so far so good and the first time in a few weeks when a couple of days off coincides with some decent enough weather to enjoy it.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, iand61 said:

Was going to post something similar myself.

Expected to wake up to cloudy skies and what was forecast to be the worst day of the BH weekend but so far so good and the first time in a few weeks when a couple of days off coincides with some decent enough weather to enjoy it.

On the other hand, we woke up to cloudy grey conditions, with spots of rain in the air at 7am, but looks a bit brighter now and hoping that the forecast of a warm sunny afternoon is correct.

• Like 3

Posted

It actually seems to have got even cloudier here. It looked as though it was going to break up about a couple of hours ago but it seems to have filled in. 

The sunshine figures for this May are going to be the pits compared to last May. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A lot more cloud now than first thing but pretty warm and thankfully dry.

hopefully better tomorrow and Monday but today was forecast to be the worst of the three so if this is as bad as it gets then I’ll take it.

• Like 3

Posted

Since and including August 2006, 21 summer months have averaged at least 100mm rainfall for the region. That's 21 out of 43 and there were 7 that averaged at least 90mm

Before August 2006, the previous "at least 100mm" summer month was August 2004.  If that was the 21st summer month to record at least 100mm, you have to go back to July 1974 as the starting point.

In other words, July 1974-August 2004:  30 years to record 21 summer months of at least 100mm rainfall

August 2006-August 2020: 14 years to record 21 summer months of at least 100mm rainfall

Not a great stats for our recent summers 

In the 1960s, there were just 7 summer months that recorded at least 100mm rainfall. You often here how bad the summers were in the 1960s. In terms of rainfall totals, they are not as bad as recent summers around this region.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 5

Posted
17 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes I heard that too but I find that hard to believe as it didn't feel that cold to me. To me it felt no colder than 2008, 2013 or 2016 which all had snowy spells if I remember correctly. Maybe it was because it was a very dry and sunny month and most of the cold anomaly was at night rather than during the day which made it feel less cold than the CET suggests. It was a nicer April than 2012 anyway.

Wasn't hard to believe for me. Had snow here and plenty of air frosts which sometimes we struggle to get in mid Winter these days. 

• Like 1

Posted

It looks like it’s going to absolutely hammer it down here now.

• Like 1

Posted

Been dry and sunny on and off all day with pleasant temps maxed at 18°.  However the sunshine has been hindered by rain threatening clouds, thought I was in for a shower early afternoon.  The photo is the current state of play this evening.

20210529_195840.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Since and including August 2006, 21 summer months have averaged at least 100mm rainfall for the region. That's 21 out of 43 and there were 7 that averaged at least 90mm

Before August 2006, the previous "at least 100mm" summer month was August 2004.  If that was the 21st summer month to record at least 100mm, you have to go back to July 1974 as the starting point.

In other words, July 1974-August 2004:  30 years to record 21 summer months of at least 100mm rainfall

August 2006-August 2020: 14 years to record 21 summer months of at least 100mm rainfall

Not a great stats for our recent summers 

In the 1960s, there were just 7 summer months that recorded at least 100mm rainfall. You often here how bad the summers were in the 1960s. In terms of rainfall totals, they are not as bad as recent summers around this region.

Yes our summers have got warmer overall but they've also got wetter as well, especially for this region. Maybe we've just had a lot of westerly summers in recent years? It would be interesting if you could have a look at the sunshine stats as well because we have also seemed to have a lot of dull summer months in recent years especially in August.

• Like 2

Posted

Overcast and a bit damp to start the day, mostly cloudy with a few sunny spells during the afternoon, then back to overcast by late afternoon and early evening with a very brief heavy shower. Feeling warm and quite humid with a nice summery smell in the air. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Been dry and sunny on and off all day with pleasant temps maxed at 18°.  However the sunshine has been hindered by rain threatening clouds, thought I was in for a shower early afternoon.  The photo is the current state of play this evening.

20210529_195840.jpg

Better than here thick cloud for most of the day, sky has gone strange yellow colour.  At least it has been warm though which is more than can be said for the rest of this month. 

IMG_0351.JPG

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
56 minutes ago, iand61 said:

It looks like it’s going to absolutely hammer it down here now.

Same here,   It keeps trying to rain but doesn't quite manage it. 

Posted

I was expecting more sun than we had today, but at least it was warm. Just my luck, I'm heading to the East coast tomorrow where it's been sunny today but possibly misty Sunday and Monday, whilst you lot are basking in wall-to-wall sunshine. . 

• Like 1