Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Just had a heavy rain shower go through before... It feels a bit milder now probably due to the higher dew points? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
4 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Just had a heavy rain shower go through before... It feels a bit milder now probably due to the higher dew points? 

Current dew point is -1C nearby at Liverpool Airport so would have thought conditions still conducive for snow, even at the coast.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Quite remarkable that the ECM does not get above -4 uppers for the entire run -8 uppers for the weekend spring certainly on hold for the foreseeable 

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Going to be a bone chiller tonight I think. Already around 0c with the sun having set not too long ago. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

Quite remarkable that the ECM does not get above -4 uppers for the entire run -8 uppers for the weekend spring certainly on hold for the foreseeable 

C.S

Yes certainly eye opening with nothing mild on the horizon, not even average. Unless there's a huge turnaround, which can still happen, I'd say below average CET by the months end.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Temperature falling by approx 1c an hour at the moment. 

MetOffice seem poor with their temperature prediction tonight -2 as the minimum in the text forecast. Think it's already below that in a few places.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Yes certainly underestimated for here at least. We got down to -4.4°C this morning, currently -3.3°C

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

GFS 18z going for a more prolonged spell of snow on Saturday with -8 uppers and -5DP this at midday 

C.S

• Like 4

Posted

Chilly night out there. 

IMG_20210407_000213.thumb.jpg.93abba030b24e6599ac614e2392585b8.jpg

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted

According to the garden thermometer it's minus 3.  There's a thin layer of ice on the outside window ledge.  Had to put the heating on when I got up 5:30am.  Been doing the usual browse through the mod thread and it looks like May before temps start really ramping up, wont be putting my long sleeved jarmies away any time soon.  Looking forward to May, warmer temps and the Noctilucent cloud season starts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
11 hours ago, Dexter said:

Current dew point is -1C nearby at Liverpool Airport so would have thought conditions still conducive for snow, even at the coast.

Definitely rain, its surprising but I saw similar metar readings earlier on in the day at Capel Curig in Wales. I guess at -1C or so the dew point was quite marginal with air temperature at 5C. 

As for last night, some huge variation in temperature across the region. The low this morning here was 2.6C 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
36 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Definitely rain, its surprising but I saw similar metar readings earlier on in the day at Capel Curig in Wales. I guess at -1C or so the dew point was quite marginal with air temperature at 5C. 

As for last night, some huge variation in temperature across the region. The low this morning here was 2.6C 

Yes, true and of course the dewpoint is only one factor of about ten parameters needing to be right for snow to fall? It was just a bit surprising as it was snowing earlier with higher air temps. The tropical climate of the Wirral strikes again!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
27 minutes ago, dodge said:

Domestic Cricket season begins tomorrow....rather them than me! 

As is the tradition - it's a chilly, even a freezing start to the County Championship. Tales of blankets, lots of hot drinks while sitting on the boundary edge in April. Saying that, 10 years ago Lancashire played most of their home games at Aigburth, so as it was only 40 mins drive, I planned on going to a few games. First day of the season v Sussex was an absolute belter - warm (even hot) sunshine & blue skies the whole day. Sun cream isn't usually needed in early April. In fact, the only day it rained was the final day.

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Dexter said:

Yes, true and of course the dewpoint is only one factor of about ten parameters needing to be right for snow to fall? It was just a bit surprising as it was snowing earlier with higher air temps. The tropical climate of the Wirral strikes again!

It can be forgiven as it's April, but if that happened in December or January I'd be a bit peeved 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Down to -6.2°C earlier, impressive for April! Killed off a few more plants that survived the winter cold spell though

• Like 4

Posted

Got down to -6.8C this morning which was the coldest April minimum here for over 30 years. Nearest to this in recent times was in 2013 @ -5.5C on the morning of the 6th.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Thought I'd post here rather than the model thread as I'd no doubt be shot down by the people on there , but I wish these April synoptic charts had been in January , we would've been looking at a deep cold spell , instead  we have it in April when all I want is some warm sunshine, it's all very depressing.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Spurry said:

Thought I'd post here rather than the model thread as I'd no doubt be shot down by the people on there , but I wish these April synoptic charts had been in January , we would've been looking at a deep cold spell , instead  we have it in April when all I want is some warm sunshine, it's all very depressing.

These type of synoptics are on average far more likely in April and May than any other time of year. A common occurrence in many a year, though more notable by there absence in recent years. April 2013, 2016 and 2018 brought some northerly and easterly influence along with May 13, but not to the same degree. Other than March 13, most our springs last 10 years have been devoid of lengthy locked in cold periods. 

Back to today, rather bland compared to yesterday, very cold last night. Just cloud all day so far and temps maxing 7 degrees, still some 3 degrees below early April average. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Hardly scientific but the -5c I had this morning was the coldest temperature here since the 2018 BFTE.

not bad for April.

• Like 2