Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

-13C dew point at Manchester airport a couple of hours ago. That is pretty impressive for April and indicative of a deep Arctic air mass over us.

Screenshot_20210405-142156.thumb.png.881cb7af4147917fe60812ba51d1a448.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Sunny day... 6C currently.. Almost hit 7C before. Pleasant out of the breeze. 

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Convection is underway but will it become deep enough for showers to develop?

Hmm...I wonder.  Looking NW there's more cloud cover than blue sky now, where as earlier it was wall to wall crystal clear blue skies.  What a beautiful stunning but cold day so far.  I thought there would be alot of grey but dry cloud about today, I thought wrong.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Despite all the whining beforehand I think most of us would take this over dull and damp from the west.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
59 minutes ago, Ramp said:

Despite all the whining beforehand I think most of us would take this over dull and damp from the west.

TBH after a bitter cold start, today feels warmer in the sun than yesterday did with pretty much wall to wall cloud.

Very usable weather and certainly better than what was forecast a few days ago.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

From the MO for tomorrow 

Snow Showers arriving around noon lasting through the afternoon before becoming dry into the evening.

C.S

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
53 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

From the MO for tomorrow 

Snow Showers arriving around noon lasting through the afternoon before becoming dry into the evening.

C.S

personally i’d prefer another repeat of today over snow showers but I’ll see if I can order you a Cheshire gap event

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

personally i’d prefer another repeat of today over snow showers but I’ll see if I can order you a Cheshire gap event

Yes please 

Not fussy me will take my addiction to snow any Time 

C.S

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Yet another glorious day here. Air temperature much lower than previous days, but proper warmth coming from the sun so hasn't felt as cold as the temperature might suggest. It would be a complete contrast if this setup had occured In the heart of winter as it would be bone chillingly cold. Not so today. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms
3 hours ago, Ramp said:

Apart from the noisy wind from last night of course!

• Like 1

Posted

Deceiving is the word I'd describe today. Nice enough in the sun and out of the wind but bloody freezing in the wind and shade. The sun definitely having the upper hand now though regardless of how cold the upper air is. Had we had the same synoptics a month ago it would've still felt cold in the sun.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted

I think temps maxed at 7 degrees, now sitting sat 4.1 degrees. In shelter if felt fairly pleasant thanks to the warm sunshine, but in the wind it has been brr!

We had a few snow flurries about an hour ago, but other than that a dry day with only small scale cumulus cloud developing in the afternoon.

A cold night for April on the cards could go down to -3 degrees or below. A penetrating frost.

Tomorrow looks the peak of the cold spell, more cloud building by late morning and greater chance of a snow shower in the afternoon.

Rest of the week, oh dear temps are going to struggle, remaining significantly below average. Could be our coldest week in April for a long long while.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

The above two posts sum up today well. It would have been perishing even in direct sun in mid winter with this setup. It's that time of year when we could easily have icy cold one week and be looking at a warm plume the next, as can be typical for April.

Both Manchester and Liverpool Airport TAFs forecasting possibility of light snow showers tomorrow during the daytime so must be a stronger precipitation signal than today. Nothing obvious on the fax below (troughs etc), so I assume there is simply more instability tomorrow?

image.thumb.png.e3984ea55c15b93f62e837f7eac027f7.png

• Like 3

Posted

Clear sky at the moment, can see the stars.  Saw two gritters around and about earlier, just spotted the familiar amber flash of one making its ascent out of Macc. going up the Cat and Fiddle road, they are taking the risk of icy roads seriously.  See what tomorrow brings.

• Like 4

Posted

A bit of a classic northerly wishbone shape looking at the radar. Frequent snow showers in northern Scotland and some of these filtering down the western and eastern coasts of England & Wales. Winds veer a bit more westerly tomorrow which puts more of the country in contention.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Dexter said:

The above two posts sum up today well. It would have been perishing even in direct sun in mid winter with this setup. It's that time of year when we could easily have icy cold one week and be looking at a warm plume the next, as can be typical for April.

Both Manchester and Liverpool Airport TAFs forecasting possibility of light snow showers tomorrow during the daytime so must be a stronger precipitation signal than today. Nothing obvious on the fax below (troughs etc), so I assume there is simply more instability tomorrow?

image.thumb.png.e3984ea55c15b93f62e837f7eac027f7.png

Slightly more instability and wind direction more NW than North not that it shows much on the fax chart but my App for wind direction certainly shows this.

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

No showers here yet but I would point out that there was a snow shower last night.. It was only light but it started as rain as it was 5C at the time, but it didn't take long to turn to snow. 

Minimum was 3.5C last night.. Currently 4C with sunshine and a few clouds around

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I expect there'll be a smattering of snow showers about as we head through the day, similar setup toward the weekend too. 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

I expect there'll be a smattering of snow showers about as we head through the day, similar setup toward the weekend too. 

The bizarre s scenario where the air is so dry it can snow well above 0C. I would not be surprised to see snow at 5-6C today

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

-0.9C

Looks like a weak Cheshire gap effect is occurring. Can see clouds to my NNW streaming southwards

Not here yet. Beautiful morning with wall-to-wall sunshine, but really cold with ice in the bird bath although the wind has dropped off from yesterday. Fingers crossed for another day of outdoor activities!

I recall a heavy morning snowfall on 6th April, a Sunday so probably 2008. Settled but didn't last.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Only fell to 2°C here last night as there was more cloud than expected.

A bit more  hopeful of seeing some snow showers here today.

This weekend is looking more promising than the current northerly to me with slightly colder 500 mb temps and a bit more instability.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted

Not a bad day to sneak in an extra Easter Day of work.

probably spend much of it working in the garden but at least it’s a bit of fresh air and may squeeze a bit of a walk in later.

• Like 2