Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
50 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Without snow this spell will be pointless. Sunny and low 20s would do for a couple of weeks just to lift spirits a bit.

Hail and snow showers Tuesday according to the country file forecast 

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, iand61 said:

The great weather last April was probably the only thing that kept most of us sane during the depths of lockdown 1

it certainly helped me find something to do while being on furlough was something of a novelty but 12 months later, the weather is going to do precious little to help a situation where the only contact we can have with family and friends is outside.

there will be a lot of thick coats coming back out of the wardrobe again and probably a lot of huddling around patio heaters when the pubs finally open again next Monday.

Yes not ideal for those of us who want to go back to the pub. I'm not looking forward to shivering sat outside but alas the weather gods will do what it wants. I guess it'll keep my beer cold  Hopefully we won't get a May like 95 or 96. Both were unusually chilly. The flip side was both summers were decent. The unpredictably of our climate on the western frontier of Europe.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
4 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes not ideal for those of us who want to go back to the pub. I'm not looking forward to shivering sat outside but alas the weather gods will do what it wants. I guess it'll keep my beer cold  Hopefully we won't get a May like 95 or 96. Both were unusually chilly. The flip side was both summers were decent. The unpredictably of our climate on the western frontier of Europe.

Yeah what a good summer 1995 was, not just the amount of dry sunny weather but the fact that the peak of the summer actually came in July and August unlike the more recent pattern of warm springs followed by a poor July and august before things buck up again as autumn arrives.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

Hail and snow showers Tuesday according to the country file forecast 

C.S

I just  get the feeling that the models are underestimating the development of showers inland  just from experience. 

I recall snow showers breaking out inland in this northerly from the end of February 1993

NOAA_1_1993022712_1.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Without snow this spell will be pointless. Sunny and low 20s would do for a couple of weeks just to lift spirits a bit.

A  milder version of the second week of February perhaps then? Exceptionally low dewpoints that week, and only fleeting snow showers that failed to put anything on the ground.

Tuesday looks the best bet for inland convection, indeed conditions looks more ideal then than tomorrow, but we shall see.

A chillier feel today, more of a breeze and cloud around. Winds picked up this evening and a few spots of rain in the air in the last hour marking the change ahead.

Next two days will be interesting, nowcasting just how much convection might kick off. Could be surprises.

• Like 4

Posted

Yet another wildfire tonight (i've lost count of how many now this weekend) up on Tintwistle Moor/Featherbed Moss.

168400471_10158470947993757_1067085499503204316_n.thumb.jpg.64d935825a9990f97335764384b3daf8.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

A very strange situation in Wirral I think.. We're likely to get some snow showers over the next few days but unlikely to go below 0C 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
16 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Yet another wildfire tonight (i've lost count of how many now this weekend) up on Tintwistle Moor/Featherbed Moss.

168400471_10158470947993757_1067085499503204316_n.thumb.jpg.64d935825a9990f97335764384b3daf8.jpg

Hi snow_joke. Can you tell where abouts it is exactly? I’ll let my manager know and we’ll be out tomorrow if it’s on our patch

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Just hoping the rain that’s nearly here makes it. Won’t be much but hopefully enough to dampen the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Wind here is howling like mad!! Just can't get sleep!!  Strange the Met Office says upto 30mph winds but really it is stronger than forecast. 

Edited by pip22
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, James M said:

Hi snow_joke. Can you tell where abouts it is exactly? I’ll let my manager know and we’ll be out tomorrow if it’s on our patch

Tintwistle Moor from the reports that i've seen on the 'High Peak Live' Facebook group, the wind won't be helping with efforts overnight but the short (and heavy) band of rain that's just passed will be much welcomed. The next issue will be the dry airmass moving over this week giving people a false sense of security, it'll feel like -7'c on the tops but any moorland will still be tinder dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Had a few rain showers this evening. Starting to get windy

• Like 1

Posted

Met Office text forecast last evening had a  minimum of -5C for somewhere in the region. That didn't look right.

And the current text forecast

"A colder start than recently, with frost clearing through the morning under sunny skies."

Lol, it was colder on  previous nights. Currently 4.5C 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Wind was really howling in the night here, which woke me up a few times. Wind has moderated somewhat now, but still gusty. Overcast here at present with a light hail shower passing through.

Judging by the forecasts, tomorrow looks to present the highest risk for snow showers. I would have thought that the significant convective energy available by this time of year would lead to shower formation inland. Will be interesting to see how the next couple of days pan out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Light rain showers this morning.. Cold air either not dug in properly yet or the sea is modifying things again

Posted

There is an outside chance Greenland high could break the pressure record today. 

Not sure whether it would be officially accepted though as the topography of the Greenland plateau skews the readings somewhat. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
13 hours ago, Ramp said:

There’s still hope for Tuesday pal don’t give up

F659A3E2-924B-4CF8-91FF-4D08805626CC.png

8D8D16AB-A9BF-4285-9D29-FCBAC8493DFC.png

Not the type of hope.

This winter has passed us by - one to forget from an active perspective and now looking forward to a bit of Sun.

Flurry Blizzard on the way to Whalley this morning if anyones interested.

Now we've kindly been granted a bit of so called freedom It's either Ribblehead or Coniston tomorrow with the Terriers.

Posted

If I lived near Preston and I wanted more snow, I'd move an hour or so further Eastwards where we get plenty most winters. My wife is always surprised by how much more it snows over here compared to her native Grimsargh.

Edited by Aaron Roberts
Auto correct to wrong word spelling
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A light covering of snow here this morning and a few flakes blowing about in the breeze.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Snowing here. Sticking on cars and grass.  Yes it's April 5th.

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

20210405_074408.jpg

• Like 1