Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Yes, chilly here first thing and not seeing any signs of the sun to warm things up.

It makes a change but been the suns been out since dawn up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
3 hours ago, iand61 said:

Or maybe they just don’t think there will be any hazards from them.

if it downgrades like almost every other snow event this last winter has then it could end up as nothing and northerly’s have a habit of giving sunny dry conditions to all but coastal and northerly facing locations.

personally I’ll take a north westerly flow as it will most likely keep everything further west than here and give me the sunny dry conditions I would like over the coming few days.

Yes, usually a wishbone affect with a direct Northerly, but the two significant things on our side for this event are troughs in the flow and daytime convection so I'd expect some beefy showers to develop inland, during the daytime at least. Better to get a Northerly now than mid winter for inland parts. An interesting setup anyway. Some dry sunny weather for today and tomorrow to enjoy as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yeah I agree with daytime convection beefing up the showers and as you say inland areas may benefit more than they would from this set up in mid winter.

as you’ve probably guessed though, I’ve lost interest in snow now and have moved into warm weather mode and although I have no option but to take what’s on offer, I’d prefer the latter.

anyway, just waiting for my daughter, boyfriend and hound to drive over from West Yorkshire and then it’s time for the first socially distanced walk of the year and so far at least, the sun is out and conditions looking good.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Yes, chilly here first thing and not seeing any signs of the sun to warm things up.

Yes, there was a real icy feel when I was out on my bike first thing with the temperature hovering just above freezing. Sun getting to work now though and I should think it will feel pleasant enough in the sun this afternoon given the very light wind.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Yeah I agree with daytime convection beefing up the showers and as you say inland areas may benefit more than they would from this set up in mid winter.

as you’ve probably guessed though, I’ve lost interest in snow now and have moved into warm weather mode and although I have no option but to take what’s on offer, I’d prefer the latter.

anyway, just waiting for my daughter, boyfriend and hound to drive over from West Yorkshire and then it’s time for the first socially distanced walk of the year and so far at least, the sun is out and conditions looking good.

Enjoy! We'll be doing something similar tomorrow, taking advantage of the nice weather. I'm not still actively seeking snow and am now more looking towards summer and convective potential, but this setup is looking potentially very interesting and I'll never turn snow down if it's on offer!

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Enjoy! We'll be doing something similar tomorrow, taking advantage of the nice weather. I'm not still actively seeking snow and am now more looking towards summer and convective potential, but this setup is looking potentially very interesting and I'll never turn snow down if it's on offer!

Aye, everything points to a downhill extended weekend as far as the weather is concerned; or uphill towards snow potential of course but you’re better getting any outside activities done in the next couple of days.

we may be meeting up with friends for a walk on Sunday but after that it’s looking like inside jobs until back in work on Wednesday although I may try a bit of late winter walking on Tuesday if it’s white underfoot
enjoy yours tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

I'd be more up for this cold snap if it was jan/feb but those two days of 20c spring warmth this week has launched me out of winter mode into spring desires.  Oh well, at least it isn't constant heavy rain on a conveyor belt of Atlantic weather systems.  That would truly be foul.  There's time for Spring & Summer to make it's presence felt.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 3

Posted

Well well well, what have we here? A week of glorious spring time fare here in sunny Sale, followed immediately by a direct Northerly shot with SNOW possible. 

You have got to love this islands climate. As my late grandma always used to say... "n'er cast a clout til May's out"

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Ramp said:

Nice sat in the back sheltered from the wind.

Out of the wind in the sun it’s really lovely ☀️☀️☀️only 8c here... was 11c in Manchester when took a jaunt to wing yip this morning... got a tandoori lamb shoulder from mettricks this morning too that’s in the oven for four hours... smells like summer  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
5 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Out of the wind in the sun it’s really lovely ☀️☀️☀️only 8c here... was 11c in Manchester when took a jaunt to wing yip this morning... got a tandoori lamb shoulder from mettricks this morning too that’s in the oven for four hours... smells like summer  

We’ve got a huge leg of lamb for Sunday

• Like 2

Posted

Today has been one of those rare days up here where the weather ends up being better than the forecast.

a bit of a cool breeze on the tops but wall to wall sunshine and in these conditions, and with the quarry in the foreground even Bacup looks well.

even had the unexpected bonus of curry and chips part way round.

all in all a long awaited family meet up and decent walk.

A6885F5D-DFB0-46D4-8643-0C4C118743B0.jpeg

4C568930-1BE2-40F0-BCA5-5521290F9319.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Went out on the bike for a nice 50km ride - but beforehand, looked outside, and it was sunny, blue skies; went outside and it wasn't quite what you're expecting. That wind was rather chilly - but beats grey, wet miserable weather any time.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
22 minutes ago, Ramp said:

We’ve got a huge leg of lamb for Sunday

I really like lamb. When I feel like a burger night I make my own burgers with the mince....actually prefer the flavour over beef. 

• Like 4

Posted

Air frost this morning, sheltered parts retaining frost until about 9.30am, the clocks going forward delaying the frost clearance.. Its been a lovely day in the main, blue skies and sunshine this morning, more high level cloud this afternoon, but with lighter winds than yesterday and under the sun its felt pleasant. Temps maxed at 12 degrees. Expecting another air frost tonight, probably colder than last night given lighter winds and clearer skies.

Tomorrow should be a carbon copy of today. Further air frost Sunday morning, then a case of waiting for arctic plunge to arrive! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Holly molly 

-12 and -13 uppers in by 0900 Monday 

C.S

• Like 5

Posted

Fax for midnight Monday. Winds screaming down all the way from the Arctic with plenty of troughs as well.

image.thumb.png.49f75d8a7171311e2e1049c1d01a0b9d.png

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
25 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Fax for midnight Monday. Winds screaming down all the way from the Arctic with plenty of troughs as well.

image.thumb.png.49f75d8a7171311e2e1049c1d01a0b9d.png

Looking at how rapidly the cold kicks in behind the front perhaps back edge snow from the cold front.

C.S

• Like 3

Posted

No frost this morning, strange given we had clear skies overnight and light winds, same set up as yesterday. A good day in prospect, spring like. Might squeeze out a decent day tomorrow as well, which will mean Easter 21 will go down as good in the main despite whatever Easter Monday does. Far better than a washout, very pleased it didn't occur last weekend when we had the exceptional rainfall on Sunday, which incidentally got no mention at all and deserved a weather warning.

• Like 4

Posted

A bit more cloud this morning at 7am, hence a reason why there was no frost here. Still cloudy but quite high cloud and dry and, as you say damianslaw, if we can keep this up until tomorrow night, it won't have been a bad Easter, whatever Monday may produce.  

Some nice clips on the BBC news last night from Lake Windermere and clearly better there this weekend compared with last, but to confirm, we had little or no rain last weekend here in the south of the region, hence a reason I suspect for the lack of a weather warning. Honister and Seathwaite we are not! 

• Like 3

Posted

Unlike yesterday, a cloudy start up here.

The graphics on the forecast show things improving into the afternoon so hopefully the sun will break through and we can add Easter Saturday to Good Fridays brilliant conditions.

If it doesn’t then, as a day working in the garden, it’s still usable.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well, I was gonna head up to the Cat & Fiddle / Shining Tor on Monday to catch the last of the snows before spring really arrives. But it now seems as if the PPN signal has been slowly taken away from the area, now they’re only forecast some light flurries, so hardly worth it. How annoying. 

Posted

Well it looks like Mondays snow chances are heading in the same direction as would almost any other northerly so if heavy April snow floats your boat then you’ll probably need to anchor it in the middle of the North Sea.

Each to their own I suppose but after being out in the garden for the last couple of hours with warm sunshine on my back, the last thing I want to go back into the freezer again, at least until the clocks go back in October.

• Like 3