Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
7 hours ago, Geordiesnow said:

Indeed with such low thicknesses also, I expect shower clouds to readily form inland and heavy convective snow showers to be widespread. Some areas may get tempory coverings also but if a shower hits around sunset, any snow could stick around overnight. 

I do think the NW coastal areas will miss out though, the winds are too NNW'ly for showers off the sea and inland convection won't be an issue so whilst there could be convective cloud around from showers inland and showers out in the Irish sea I'm not expecting anything wintry here. 

Normally I would agree with you but this is true Arctic air and quite exceptional for April. I think everybody is included this time.

ECH1-96.thumb.png.7c3bd2c6ecb2f3812bf2713c0244fb7b.png

ECH0-96.thumb.png.26f32165c6deac6391d2492911bd0579.pngECH0-120.thumb.png.4910fee3bc76f3ad41523b5ca7972830.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Really can’t be bothered with this. Cruel taste of 22C Tuesday and 20C Wednesday. Followed by single digit maxima and potential wintry mix in showers come Monday. 

Wildlife was starting to reappear, leaves were coming back on the trees. Now I’m gonna have to put the shorts away for the next two weeks. Gutted. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
4 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Really can’t be bothered with this. Cruel taste of 22C Tuesday and 20C Wednesday. Followed by single digit maxima and potential wintry mix in showers come Monday. 

Wildlife was starting to reappear, leaves were coming back on the trees. Now I’m gonna have to put the shorts away for the next two weeks. Gutted. 

To be fair though this cold spell has been advertised by the models for the last seven days though sort of reminds me of December 2010 were all models were in agreement all the way up to the event anyhow looking forward to seeing your snow pictures as weather enthusiasts we should be welcoming this cold spell -10 uppers snow showers possible squall lines and thunder its all in the mix next week.

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
32 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

To be fair though this cold spell has been advertised by the models for the last seven days though sort of reminds me of December 2010 were all models were in agreement all the way up to the event anyhow looking forward to seeing your snow pictures as weather enthusiasts we should be welcoming this cold spell -10 uppers snow showers possible squall lines and thunder its all in the mix next week.

C.S

You know that the country has had enough when weather enthusiasts don’t want -10 uppers and convection.

Bring it on I say

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
1 hour ago, Ramp said:

You know that the country has had enough when weather enthusiasts don’t want -10 uppers and convection.

Bring it on I say

Indeed come December when we have HP to the south and LP to the North we will be banging our heads and saying if only it was April 

C.S

• Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Indeed come December when we have HP to the south and LP to the North we will be banging our heads and saying if only it was April 

C.S

Before this winter I hadn’t seen lying snow for two years so eight months of model watching and snow chasing for nothing. 
I will take snow in any month

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Fabulous fax chart for Monday, direct blast from the Arctic. Plenty of troughs knocking around as well.

image.png

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dexter said:

Fabulous fax chart for Monday, direct blast from the Arctic. Plenty of troughs knocking around as well.

image.png

Yes soon time to look at the FAX charts, signal for trough features.

Today feels cold despite sunshine, there is a cold wind and temp 8.4 degrees currently. Not pleasant for sitting outside.

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Normally I would agree with you but this is true Arctic air and quite exceptional for April. I think everybody is included this time.

ECH1-96.thumb.png.7c3bd2c6ecb2f3812bf2713c0244fb7b.png

ECH0-96.thumb.png.26f32165c6deac6391d2492911bd0579.pngECH0-120.thumb.png.4910fee3bc76f3ad41523b5ca7972830.png

Hope I'm wrong but the ECM especially is just too NNW'ly. Looking fantastic for those further east in the region and as the UK on the whole, the best places will be in the east. I would not fully rule anything out and it should be an interesting day. 

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Hope I'm wrong but the ECM especially is just too NNW'ly. Looking fantastic for those further east in the region and as the UK on the whole, the best places will be in the east. I would not fully rule anything out and it should be an interesting day. 

I’m not ruling out a polar low with such a long northerly feed.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Hahaha this is just crazy for April. Since 2018 we've struggled to get this depth of cold in the Winter never mind the middle of Spring!

image.thumb.png.9fa4a359b64668be4842ca11ee6760eb.png

Pennine T2 max temps stay sub zero on Monday. No doubt perishing in the wind everywhere too.

image.thumb.png.9efe4f0c50b2d9465f27b91d98862f26.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Oh GFS you little tinker you.

h500slp.thumb.png.c2294576bd8f077033755ec396ae3303.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
21 minutes ago, Ramp said:

This is utter filth

704C3953-12E1-4788-8EB6-E6E1EBD2B0B5.png

Livestock concern this time of year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
38 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Livestock concern this time of year.

Certainly is, even up here we’re well into lambing season.

not looking good.

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes soon time to look at the FAX charts, signal for trough features.

Today feels cold despite sunshine, there is a cold wind and temp 8.4 degrees currently. Not pleasant for sitting outside.

The appearance of troughs will be good for enhancing shower activity, but I assume this will be less critical in the daytime given decent convective energy available for shower formation this time of year, unlike in the heart of winter.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Hahaha this is just crazy for April. Since 2018 we've struggled to get this depth of cold in the Winter never mind the middle of Spring!

image.thumb.png.9fa4a359b64668be4842ca11ee6760eb.png

Pennine T2 max temps stay sub zero on Monday. No doubt perishing in the wind everywhere too.

image.thumb.png.9efe4f0c50b2d9465f27b91d98862f26.png

Add in shower activity temps plummet further!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

NASA model says one small step for man one giant plunge from the Arctic! 

geos-1-105.png?01-16

geos-0-105.png?01-16

FxJvk.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I'm wondering whether the April minimum record may go in Scotland next week?

Stands at -15.2C recorded in 1917. GFS *currently* showing mins of -12/-13 so a bit of a stretch but who knows? Would be remarkable if it went.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Great update from the metoffice below for Sunday onwards. No use of the dreaded 'wintry hazards' term which has been their obsession this past winter. They must be confident! Something for everyone this weekend as today and tomorrow will be dry and settled with lightish winds, so although temperatures are down, should be decent enough in the sun for afternoon meetups outdoors today and tomorrow with a coat on standby.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Turning unsettled from Sunday afternoon with rain then showers, these falling as hail or snow. Becoming cold with breezy conditions. Less windy from Tuesday, though occasional showers continue.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Dexter said:

Great update from the metoffice below for Sunday onwards. No use of the dreaded 'wintry hazards' term which has been their obsession this past winter. They must be confident! Something for everyone this weekend as today and tomorrow will be dry and settled with lightish winds, so although temperatures are down, should be decent enough in the sun for afternoon meetups outdoors today and tomorrow with a coat on standby.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Turning unsettled from Sunday afternoon with rain then showers, these falling as hail or snow. Becoming cold with breezy conditions. Less windy from Tuesday, though occasional showers continue.

Or maybe they just don’t think there will be any hazards from them.

if it downgrades like almost every other snow event this last winter has then it could end up as nothing and northerly’s have a habit of giving sunny dry conditions to all but coastal and northerly facing locations.

personally I’ll take a north westerly flow as it will most likely keep everything further west than here and give me the sunny dry conditions I would like over the coming few days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

I have only just put out my barby and garden furniture - looks like i will have toput them away again