Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
27 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

A cloudy, cool day today, albeit not too thick a cloud cover as it had been relively bright. Will be cold again tonight, although not as cold as previous nights - a soft first is possible in some exposed areas.

It feed so sad to see the quiet in the forum after how busy it was this winter.

A bit like the weather - dry and quiet - which is how I like it. The frenetic postings during the Winter were all very well, but I could never keep up with them, and I got the impression that individual postings were being ignored in the interests of getting 'snow' posts and forecasts on the site. I suspect it won't stay quiet for long!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and HOT ( but not too humid )

Well the weather is improving. It's an Englishman's tradition to complain about the weather, so once it improves there will be less discussion. It's just the nature of it all. I bet when Summer kicks in, the forum will become incredibly active again with 'OOH it's too hot' and panicking over heat waves and atlantic pressure zones.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
45 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

A bit like the weather - dry and quiet - which is how I like it. The frenetic postings during the Winter were all very well, but I could never keep up with them, and I got the impression that individual postings were being ignored in the interests of getting 'snow' posts and forecasts on the site. I suspect it won't stay quiet for long!

Yes although I must say that you can’t beat musing over the posts in the bleak mid-winter whilst eating a bowl of warm Cumbrian hot-pot and crusty bread followed by Spotted Richard with thick vanilla custard (all made using locally sourced ingredients of course!). I spent many an eve doing this during reflection over the last few weeks.

I often put myself in the position of the shepherds working on the Cumbrian fells, especially over in the bleak eastern part of the county. It must be very cold and lonely work - certainly puts this into perspective!

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Ian David French said:

Well the weather is improving. It's an Englishman's tradition to complain about the weather, so once it improves there will be less discussion. It's just the nature of it all. I bet when Summer kicks in, the forum will become incredibly active again with 'OOH it's too hot' and panicking over heat waves and atlantic pressure zones.

....and thunderstorms!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

....and thunderstorms!

The forum tends to be at it's quietest in the shoulder seasons, March-May unless there is an early summer burst on the cards or snow around, Sept-Oct unless early prospect of snow or late summer heat.

September in average quietest month.

Mid-summer can see it slumber when heat is not around.

Late Dec early Jan peak activity generally except when a cold snowy spell incoming then it goes mad.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.

Yes very subdued here now but very much looking forward to seeing a positive spring .

Edited by Barmada_Casten
  • Like 1

Posted

Even today, forecasters/computer models struggle to predict  the behaviour of  stratocumulus/low clouds under a high pressure cell. Last weekend was sunnier than forecast here was an example.

This weekend was suppose to be sunnier 

Look at the change in forecasts here

This shows a lot of the region with clear skies by dawn Saturday

A few hours later this was posted and this had most of Lancashire/Cheshire and Merseyside under cloud by dawn Saturday

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
36 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Turned out sunny here this afternoon and v pleasant in the sun, but with clear skies, I think it may be cold overnight with some frost.

Like you say it’s pleasant in the sun but a couple of hours of painting decking in the shade and it was pretty  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I'm ok. Removed shower door glass and soaked beading in bleach. All back together and pristine.

Had window open and ended up closing it as it was pretty chilly even with the sun out. 

• Like 2

Posted

I had a 6hr wander up on Combs Moss yesterday despite the cold NEly wind in the morning and the overcast cloud at times, it turned out to be a easy-going day. I'm not looking forward to mid-week with the return of rain/sleet and gales but i'll just have to make-do with whatever calmer intervals occur inbetween the Atlantic fronts. 

Did anyone else see/hear the 2x F-35s from Marham over the Peak District yesterday? it was around 12:40ish and I could make them out in the distance travelling south to north over Rushup Edge, Kinder, and up over Bleaklow before I lost sight of them both visually.

08.thumb.jpg.8304e4ac0df639a7cbf4fc738e9de541.jpg33.thumb.jpg.065d0137fd2b898c1ea5e54092cdb3e7.jpg15.thumb.jpg.15c236215c70707cdb46e950be6c67fc.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Back to painting decking and it’s pretty damn  again.

the sun is poking through but the high ridge to my east means it takes a while to get high enough at this time of year so it’s a case of putting up with it until the day starts to warm up a bit.

It’s certainly looking like another usable day for those outside jobs or hobbies though; 2nd decent weekend in a row and not bad after enduring several of the wet, depressing type.

• Like 2

Posted

There is a pleasant ness about conditions at present albeit rather cold air aloft. Light winds and dry weather making for very useable weather, and ideal temps for a little mild exertion outdoors without needing to strip off layers and seek shade and sun cream. This feeling peaks around late Match, early April before the full powers of the sun get to work and tip the balance. It's a lovely time watching nature slowly emerge out of winter hibernation. A transitional phase with subtleties, an agreeable temperament. 

• Like 5

Posted

A cold afternoon to be out in the garden and even a few drops of rain in the air at times but a fair bit of the annual decking and fence painting project is done now.

just a shame that there isn’t another hour of daylight in the evenings so the next instalment doesn’t have to wait until next weekend and the weather lottery that goes with it.

• Like 3

Posted

Unfortunately the coming week looks much wetter and duller than the week just gone, and although temps will be a bit higher but only average, 8s and 9s under the wind, rain and cloud it will probably feel colder.. we've done well though since the cold spell came to an end 3 weeks ago, apart from two very wet days last Tuesday and Wednesday it has been predominantly dry and very quiet.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
3 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

The calm before the storm it seems!

Yes. Fairly Meh weather today. It definitely gets a kick up the Rse later on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Just thought I'd drop this in here if anyone is interested, is there a major eruption due?

iceland-earthquake-swarm-volcanic-erupti
WWW.SEVERE-WEATHER.EU

A volcanic eruption risk is increasing, with the alert level now at orange in Iceland after the powerful earthquake swarm continues

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Not a bad day with periods of sunshine although there is a fresh westerly breeze now. Trace rain this morning but dry for a few hours now. 4°C warmer than forecast, currently 11.6°C.
minimum was -1.2°C last night around midnight.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted

The early rain wasn't quite as weak and light as they forecasted this morning, quite stubborn and persistent.  Cleared now though and thankfully still at least 2hrs of daylight left instead of dark at 3:30pm in the middle of December.  It's been mostly quiet since the end of that cold week but things look like livening up again mid-week.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
7 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Just thought I'd drop this in here if anyone is interested, is there a major eruption due?

iceland-earthquake-swarm-volcanic-erupti
WWW.SEVERE-WEATHER.EU

A volcanic eruption risk is increasing, with the alert level now at orange in Iceland after the powerful earthquake swarm continues

Hopefully the next one will be easier to pronounce