Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
50 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Lake District place to be today, sheltered from the cloud and mist. Blue skies and sunshine, light winds. Temos expected to climb towards 11 degrees. There was a sharp frost this morning, tonight may see a bit more cloud so not likely to be quite as cold, but still close to freezing. Looking ahead to the rest of the week, we look like being best placed to be. Spring is our dry season, often can be the best place until the westerlies return!

Happy dry season!

Snap!   This is my favourite weather -- dry and sunny at last and feeling really warm in shelter.  A sniff of spring in the east wind makes gardeners' sap rise.

An ear worm here!    --

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

A sunny start but - right on cue - forecast cloud has just arrived and it sounds as though it may be sticking around for a while. Not sure what effect this will have on temperatures, particularly overnight (this morning was frosty again), but I would rather have the sun out any day.

But just as quickly, the cloud dispersed and we've had a beautiful day here in S Cheshire. 

• Like 2

Posted

It turned into a good day after this morning's fog-fest with blue skies and the first of the Daffodils (even a Bee of all things) starting to emerge, the weekend is looking clear again with the high building back in so it's a case of waiting out the cloudy skies over the next few days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
4 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Lake District place to be today, sheltered from the cloud and mist. Blue skies and sunshine, light winds. Temos expected to climb towards 11 degrees. There was a sharp frost this morning, tonight may see a bit more cloud so not likely to be quite as cold, but still close to freezing. Looking ahead to the rest of the week, we look like being best placed to be. Spring is our dry season, often can be the best place until the westerlies return!

Happy dry season!

Yes last Spring was fantastic, I managed a good tan. Seemed like endless days of clear blue skies and then Summer arrived - the less said the better. The only positive is that it was a thundery season!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
12 hours ago, damianslaw said:

All due to clear skies, sharp drop in temp once sun goes down. Air frost this morning, today looking glorious, but another air frost tonight.

A very dry week ahead, becoming cold at times under cloud, a reminder only early March. I'll take it over the rain, think back to last Tuesday and Wednesday which were abysmal, what a contrast!

I agree entirely!

Today has been simply glorious here in south central Lakeland. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
6 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes last Spring was fantastic, I managed a good tan. Seemed like endless days of clear blue skies and then Summer arrived - the less said the better. The only positive is that it was a thundery season!

Last summer was bob on. Warm enough and the storms were the best I’ve witnessed for a long long time.

• Like 3

Posted

Nice webcam of Asahikawa in Japan still getting pounded with snow. Currently 95cm there. Yes 95cm.... probably be well over 100cm after this snow storm passes. Honestly if you are a coldie over there you'd be in heaven every Winter.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Glorious sunny weather again. Seems those on the other side (Eastern and Southern areas are having none of it. Grey days for them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Hi,

The snow chase is over for me for another year, overall I'd give this Winter a massive 2/10!

Maximum snow depth 3mm lol, by next Winter it will be nearly 4 years without proper lying snow.

Since the epic December 2010 there has been a near 3 year gap followed by a near 5 year gap and now edging to another 4 year gap between lying snow, quite a depressing statistic.

Anyways my attention will now turn to Thunderstorms so hopefully see you all in the coming months! Let's hope life will be a bit better by then???

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Hi,

The snow chase is over for me for another year, overall I'd give this Winter a massive 2/10!

Maximum snow depth 3mm lol, by next Winter it will be nearly 4 years without proper lying snow.

Since the epic December 2010 there has been a near 3 year gap followed by a near 5 year gap and now edging to another 4 year gap between lying snow, quite a depressing statistic.

Anyways my attention will now turn to Thunderstorms so hopefully see you all in the coming months! Let's hope life will be a bit better by then???

Never know might have more this Spring, nothing unusual in that!

Another glorious day here, but that sun is disguising a cold air mass. My sensor reads 5.5 degrees, and out of the sun it is cold. Indicative of the fact the sun doesnt quite have the punch to balance out the air temp. By the end if the month it does, but not yet. Sharp air frost this morning still below freezing at 9am again evidence sun is still fairly weak.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Forecasts for a chamge have got the cloud levels wrong. Weekend was supposed to have been cloudier than forecast and now Tuesday has turned out sunnier than was forecast yesterday. 

Sunshine totals looks like surpassing 50 hours after today according to Rostherne figures since and including 26th February 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Forecasts for a chamge have got the cloud levels wrong. Weekend was supposed to have been cloudier than forecast and now Tuesday has turned out sunnier than was forecast yesterday. 

Agreed, the cloud took a bit longer to clear this morning, but late morning and the whole of the afternoon have been beautiful, if a tad on the chilly side. Hope there's more to come.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes another stunning day but notably cold in the shade, temp has struggled a bit after another moderate frost. Certainly isn't t-shirt weather yet haha. As Damian says give it another few weeks and a day like today should feel more pleasant to strip off the jacket.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yesterday and today have been sunny throughout here but the boundary between sun and cloud has, not for the first time this winter has been right on the ridge separating Bacup (Lancashire) and Todmorden (West Yorkshire) and fortunately we were on the right side of it.

Yesterday the line was even more defined looking throughout daylight hours like the smoke from a huge moorland fire.

payback time for all of the heavy snow they got while I was looking enviously across with just grey skies.

• Like 2

Posted

A stunning day, near perfect, but just enough of a chill about to not quite rate it 10 out of 10. Clear skies no wind, blue sky dawn until dusk, the frost this morning lasted a while.

Cold evening  already 3.8 degrees.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, iand61 said:

Yesterday and today have been sunny throughout here but the boundary between sun and cloud has, not for the first time this winter has been right on the ridge separating Bacup (Lancashire) and Todmorden (West Yorkshire) and fortunately we were on the right side of it.

Yesterday the line was even more defined looking throughout daylight hours like the smoke from a huge moorland fire.

payback time for all of the heavy snow they got while I was looking enviously across with just grey skies.

Just round the corner from you, I came across this video from first week of February 1986

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.

Another superb day here, indeed very similar to yesterday. Certainly good enough for the RAF to send a volley of fighter jets heading north east of Windermere just before dusk!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Just round the corner from you, I came across this video from first week of February 1986

A great watch and I remember that spell of severe weather.

the road is the A681 Bacup Todmorden one and the pylons pretty much follow the county boundary for a few miles as they cross the Pennines before then heading over Blackstone Edge and into West Yorkshire.

I’m not sure whether it was during this event or later but the weight of ice and danger of it falling closed the road for a few days even though it would have been pretty much clear of snow.

interestingly the more worn out sections of pylons and in a couple of cases, entire ones were replaced last summer whilst keeping the power lines switched on.

Posted

So it took them 34 years to replace them.

They must have done some major repair work on them. They looked ready to collapse.

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

So it took them 34 years to replace them.

They must have done some major repair work on them. They looked ready to collapse.

Another sunny frosty morning but with fog/mist this morning.... good match last night

• Like 1