Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted

Gorgeous out there this morning, just been out on the bike with no gloves needed. Time to dig the shorts out!

1/3 of my broad beans appear to have survived the cold, but the sufficient have perked up nicely this morning.

• Like 3

Posted

The SW tropical airstream in full force, for the South Lakes it usually always means grey cloud and bits ic rain and that's what we have. Current temp 8 degrees, not especially mild. It was very misty this morning, the cold air easing out of the ground.

Rest of the week more of the same for here, may see something brighter. Bring back last week please!

• Like 3

Posted

Can't get warm today despite some occasional weak sun.  Our stone Pennine buildings hold on to the damp cold and are slow to wam up.   Similarly they hold on to heat like storage heaters when the sun ever turns on full power.    The land is still frozen below the top 3 inches.

• Like 1

Posted

Meant to add that skies over Cheshire and S Lancs have looked clear this afternoon. Mostly cloudy in the E Lancs hills.

Posted
40 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Sorry damianslaw, but you can keep last week. Give me today with its sun and mild conditions anytime!

SW airstream generally means poor weather in South Lakes, cloud rolls in off the Irish Sea/Morecambe Bay, skies are usually clearee north lakes. Many a day you hit Junction 36 of M6 under such airstreams and the cloud invades and the drizzle starts, you can look from Morecambe and see grey to the north whilst bathed in sunshine, all year..even under the strong June sunshine. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

We reached double figures here today, felt balmy compared to just a couple of days ago. Ground has thawed out now and softened up after being frozen. If the rest of this month is like this I don't mind at least it's saving on the heating bill, not had to have it on much today. Although when the missus gets in she'll crank it up full notch, I can't say anything of course or I'll never hear the end of it.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Hoping this will be the Snake and Woodhead pass in March.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Been out in the back garden with just T shirt (yes i was wearing pants), it was fairly pleasant.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time
20 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Been out in the back garden with just T shirt (yes i was wearing pants), it was fairly pleasant.

me too! Not for very long though. My dog also enjoyed going ‘naked’ on his walk (needs a coat when it’s cold) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A bit of a miserable week this week for sure with wet/damp weather at times coming up over the next few days. A complete contrast to the lovely crisp cold days we had last week. I'd at least like it to be dry if it's going to be mild, but unfortunately this is frequently not the case in winter, although to be fair, yesterday wasn't too bad.

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Athens last night.

C.S

facebook_1613468932410_6767379197083317077.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
18 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Sorry damianslaw, but you can keep last week. Give me today with its sun and mild conditions anytime!

Yes used to be quite content with cold even to the point of water bottles freezing up at altitude. Maybe an age thing creeping in but that Easterly was something else.

No thanks.

• Like 1

Posted

One thing I always enjoy, whether it’s during a summer dry spell like we’ve had a few of recently or during a cold frosty period like last week, is the novelty of dryness. I can’t speak for everywhere in the North West but probably 80% of the time everywhere in Cumbria is at best damp, if not soggy, and venturing off a made surface involves mud. I enjoyed the ground being rock hard last week and not needing wellies or walking boots to step off the concrete. If you add in the snowy hills and the blue skies then you can see why I prefer last weeks weather, regardless of the cutting easterly wind, to this claustrophobic, stuffy, soggy dankness that we are back in now. I’ll never understand people who say they prefer it when it’s like this. If it was 10c and sunny then fair enough but mild in this country generally means grey and wet. Plus even though it was cold last week it was England cold, so not really that cold. You’re quite a delicate being if you can’t cope with it. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
20 minutes ago, trickydicky said:

One thing I always enjoy, whether it’s during a summer dry spell like we’ve had a few of recently or during a cold frosty period like last week, is the novelty of dryness. I can’t speak for everywhere in the North West but probably 80% of the time everywhere in Cumbria is at best damp, if not soggy, and venturing off a made surface involves mud. I enjoyed the ground being rock hard last week and not needing wellies or walking boots to step off the concrete. If you add in the snowy hills and the blue skies then you can see why I prefer last weeks weather, regardless of the cutting easterly wind, to this claustrophobic, stuffy, soggy dankness that we are back in now. I’ll never understand people who say they prefer it when it’s like this. If it was 10c and sunny then fair enough but mild in this country generally means grey and wet. Plus even though it was cold last week it was England cold, so not really that cold. You’re quite a delicate being if you can’t cope with it. 

Agree - Yes made a change not hosing the Terriers down but that cold could've been toned down a bit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Hmmm looks as if the very mild temperatures forecast for early next week have downgraded somewhat this morning. Mild for February 11-13c but rather cloudy, more of an Atlantic influence and not a Feb 2019 repeat that looked possible only a few days ago. Doesn’t seem much but for many particularly Joe Public it’ll make a big difference as many will still have their big coat & heating on in February at 12c and cloudy vs. 16c/ 17c and sunny spells. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Bring on the Spanish plumes want as many as possible this year they are brilliant.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
4 hours ago, trickydicky said:

Yes, I agree regarding the dryness. It's amazing how quickly everything has turned to slop around here in the space of just a couple of days after being rock solid over the past week. The reality of 'mild' winter weather is that it is invariably accompanied by damp/wet weather in this country. Settled weather is more likely to occur during colder airstreams in winter. If it's cold, just add on an extra layer or two if venturing outside.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Bring on the Spanish plumes want as many as possible this year they are brilliant.

And bring on ridiculously high CAPE! Last summer was great for thunder in our region.

• Like 4