Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
25 minutes ago, Dexter said:

April can be a very interesting month and often a right old mixed bag of weather. Not uncommon to see some late snow but equally, there is always the chance of an early heatwave. As you say, some sunny warm weather won't go amiss in April. With any luck, things will be looking in much better shape by then in terms of Covid and you never know, a trip to the pub beer garden may not be out of the question by the end of the month. Convection potential increases significantly during April, and this is the time I start to look forward to thunderstorm potential. I find the transition from Spring to Summer of more interest weather wise than the transition from summer through to Autumn and Winter.

Yes - April? Beer Gardens? Easter?  - once bivvied at Glenridding and woke up to an inch of snow.

Sounds good  - but our local is boarded up and the other didn't bother to reopen.

Been an Inn serving Beer since 1630something also survived Two World Wars to what is today 

• Like 2

Posted

Take a look at France.

h500slp.thumb.png.1184a37edcfe9faa17533100669907d0.pngukmaxtemp.thumb.png.01e797b7e1486cdbc0e8ad0f3b4ee34b.png

Decent plume.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
8 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Yes - April? Beer Gardens? Easter?  - once bivvied at Glenridding and woke up to an inch of snow.

Sounds good  - but our local is boarded up and the other didn't bother to reopen.

Been an Inn serving Beer since 1630something also survived Two World Wars to what is today 

Yeah, the beer garden visit may be restricted to a trip from the fridge to the back garden for any number of reasons. It's been really tough for hospitality venues for sure over this past year. Some pubs were getting boarded up long before Covid as well. It's always been tough for the proper locals to compete with the chains. The last time I was in the pub was a year ago at the Screes Inn and Strands Inn in Nether Wasdale, which was also the last time I managed to get out into the mountains. Seems ages ago now.

• Like 5

Posted
5 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

Back to normality here

The rain has no problems lashing against the windows yesterday this would have been a blizzard although it wouldn't as it wouldn't have affected the NW

C.S

Feels like it mate.

Tbf this was a very cold week up here, with snow on the ground for 6 or 7 days.

As easterlies go it was far from the best encountered but the dew points associated with an easterly  take away the marginality issue which plagues a north westerly for example.

Of course a polar North westerly is best bet for our region but they are ridiculously rare nowadays...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Take a look at France.

h500slp.thumb.png.1184a37edcfe9faa17533100669907d0.pngukmaxtemp.thumb.png.01e797b7e1486cdbc0e8ad0f3b4ee34b.png

Decent plume.

Imagine that in Summer! 40 degrees possible

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Yeah, the beer garden visit may be restricted to a trip from the fridge to the back garden for any number of reasons. It's been really tough for hospitality venues for sure over this past year. Some pubs were getting boarded up long before Covid as well. It's always been tough for the proper locals to compete with the chains. The last time I was in the pub was a year ago at the Screes Inn and Strands Inn in Nether Wasdale, which was also the last time I managed to get out into the mountains. Seems ages ago now.

Decent Cumbrian hostelries - too many to mention but here's my pick through good times and memories.

Ritsons Bar  - Wasdale Head

Tweedies - Grasmere

ODG - Langdale

Fish - Buttermere

Ship  - Bowness (yes I know.... Bowness)

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I think I'm calling time on winter ...

Which means less time on here, so I want to wish all my fellow weather geeks on here the very best and hope everyone stays safe ...

Hopefully we as a country can get on top of this horrid disease and we can all enjoy a hot summer before next winters big freeze  

Yes - I'm still skimming through the GFS but the search for heat is calling    - and yes echo sentiments about the 'rona.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

No rain here yet all day. WRF did predict that but thought it would be wrong. Has done well this weekend except missing the front yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Hi Guys,

Just back from Derby via Brassington and Carsington water. Lots of snow drifts and icy run off areas and typicallt 1 to 1.5oC tops.

It rained on the way back, not even sleety.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Looking towards spring myself but earlier this year than normal which I suppose shows that I’ve had enough snow and cold after all.

personally I can’t see a repeat of spring 2020 this year but something close would be great and decent springs seem to be getting more and more common these days but whatever the weather gods throw at us, the lighter nights are certainly coming and that’s a positive, especially given the additional tests on our mental strength from lockdown.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

You know about yellow snow and why not to eat it.

How about brown snow!

_116948242_a98jasperimage.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Vehicles were trapped as gale-force winds carried mud-coloured waves of snow onto the A98 near Buckie.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Even Texas is getting battered by up to a foot of snow and -15c temperatures...Texas. It's the same latitude as the N of Africa. We’re cursed in this country. No idea how or why cold air has such a struggle to get here.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6

Posted

Note to self, for future reference IMBY. 

Some easterlies good. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

.... others not so good.

spacer.png

There ARE differences which I’ll try and bear in mind for next time. We need those lower heights! And a proper Scandy High.   

Chasing this one has been a blast - thanks for the brilliant company. 

Like others, I wouldn’t say no to some warmer weather now. As ever we’ll get what we’re given. ☺️

• Like 6

Posted

..... and whilst I’m reflecting, I don’t care what anyone says. West is best.

30th Jan 2019. Probably deeper snow than I’ll ever get off the North Sea. 

BFBB93E8-2FE0-47D9-9FD1-7B9F32AFFD36.thumb.jpeg.767a7058bd39723cafeadc8894b946e5.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, iand61 said:

Looking towards spring myself but earlier this year than normal which I suppose shows that I’ve had enough snow and cold after all.

personally I can’t see a repeat of spring 2020 this year but something close would be great and decent springs seem to be getting more and more common these days but whatever the weather gods throw at us, the lighter nights are certainly coming and that’s a positive, especially given the additional tests on our mental strength from lockdown.

Listening to Nick Miller this evening, it seems that we may not have to wait too long for spring weather, with the temperature possibly reaching 17C next weekend!

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Even Texas is getting battered by up to a foot of snow and -15c temperatures...Texas. It's the same latitude as the N of Africa. We’re cursed in this country. No idea how or why cold air has such a struggle to get here.

The Jet Stream. 

You surely must be joking if you claim not to know it's effects on the UK as z long time poster on here? 

Anyway Atlantic returns from now on with things back to normal. 

Edited by Frosty the Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
28 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

The Jet Stream. 

You surely must be joking if you claim not to know it's effects on the UK as z long time poster on here? 

My point was more that deep cold uppers struggle to get here yet can get down to the same latitude as Africa. Even in Ely’s with short sea tracks.

I’ve seen -25 uppers come down to our latitude in the N Atlantic before now.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

After a very busy 7 days in the regional expect the next 7 days to be very quiet. It's been enjoyable in here, though frustrating watching the radar for a pixel of pink to make it here..

Back to the familiar now, but, I'll be very surprised not to see this thread and other regionals come alive again when the prospects of snow and cold return... and they will before true spring kicks in..(in my book a good 5 weeks yet).

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7

Posted

On the plus side with spring on the way in a few weeks so is the convective season once again, the photogenic time of year when the airmass is clear enough to see CBs, TCUs, away in the far distance before the murk & haze of the summer months makes things a bit more trickier. There's also the Tornado season peaking in April-May so the boards should be busy with eyes on Tornado alley for 2021.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

7c this morning could see temperatures up to 15c this weekend.

Very mild for February. Wonder if this means a hot summer to come

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

The Jet Stream. 

…and the Gulf Stream.

Surely you must know about the Gulf Stream and the North Atlantic Drift? 

Only need to look at the Sands of Morar

Posted
8 hours ago, damianslaw said:

After a very busy 7 days in the regional expect the next 7 days to be very quiet. It's been enjoyable in here, though frustrating watching the radar for a pixel of pink to make it here..

Back to the familiar now, but, I'll be very surprised not to see this thread and other regionals come alive again when the prospects of snow and cold return... and they will before true spring kicks in..(in my book a good 5 weeks yet).

'Ne'er cast a clout till May be oot'

• Like 3

Posted

h500slp.thumb.png.c3d1338141f0a2a0f93845b708b70b61.pngukmaxtemp.thumb.png.e69628d607b55da7e20e5ea9f671fd82.png

• Like 3

Posted

If we can have a spring like last year I’ll gladly fore go anymore cold and snow... wouldn’t mind having a bbq and a beer in warm sunshine ☀️ And blue skies day after day lovely eventhough it’s only 5c it feels warm in sunshine after being -3c and blowing a hoolie day before yesterday