Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
13 minutes ago, Frigid said:

If only this was the case down here... 

650981644_Screenshot2021-02-10210751.thumb.png.f2cae223e21c51e5a380d3d4556cdc1d.png

To be honest my car has struggled today.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

The snow has started again, potentially the last from this easterly  so hopefully it's a decent one. Can't complain, it has snowed virtually every day, just no accumulation. Better than wind and rain I guess 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

It’s a real shame it doesn’t look like there will be a decent breakdown for this spell. Any fronts with snow potential look like fizzling out before they get here while the air gradually gets warmer.

Posted

Oh well as said earlier no major activity here today again. We did manage a brief flurry around 5pm, so another day of snow falling, racking up plenty of them this winter, but a day with a 5 minute flurry doesn't compare to a day with 6 hours of moderate to heavy snow. When we look back at this winter and the see the number of days when snow fell, will probably think that was a good year for snowfall, alas number of mornings at 9am with snow cover have been few and far between here, and on no occasion more than 2 inches, which happened last Tuesday and was gone by 4pm.

There is still plenty of time left for heavy snowfall and snow cover, I'm just disappointed we haven't experienced much better given the good synoptics. We've always been placed in the worst spot it seems in N England. 

It's not a moan just a reflection.

Saturday hopefully will deliver a few hours of snow, might be some moderate amounts, but I'm not a fan of snowfalls that you know will be gone within a day or two.. and come Sunday any snow cover will melt fast. Best scenario would be for snow to fall during daylight hours say from lunchtime onwards enough to have some fun in before goes dark, and for the snow to hold through Sunday morning for more fun before the rain or sleety slushy snow then forecast moves in.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
21 minutes ago, Frigid said:

-4 at 9pm in Manchester. Could be the coldest night this winter

-5c to -8c probably pretty widely tonight brrr! Just wish we could have had some snow on the ground to accompany it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

As soon as its not conducive for snow....

Screenshot_20210210-215920_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Joe Snow said:

-5c to -8c probably pretty widely tonight brrr! Just wish we could have had some snow on the ground to accompany it. 

Yes widely most likely. I started a thread cold minima in the general winter discussion thread, not much chat but a few remarks. Lows already below -17 degrees Kinbrace. The cold temperatures tonight are going under the radar..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Insanely cold out here tonight. Coldest I’ve felt it in ages. Approaching minus 4. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Oh well as said earlier no major activity here today again. We did manage a brief flurry around 5pm, so another day of snow falling, racking up plenty of them this winter, but a day with a 5 minute flurry doesn't compare to a day with 6 hours of moderate to heavy snow. When we look back at this winter and the see the number of days when snow fell, will probably think that was a good year for snowfall, alas number of mornings at 9am with snow cover have been few and far between here, and on no occasion more than 2 inches, which happened last Tuesday and was gone by 4pm.

There is still plenty of time left for heavy snowfall and snow cover, I'm just disappointed we haven't experienced much better given the good synoptics. We've always been placed in the worst spot it seems in N England. 

It's not a moan just a reflection.

It’s the same here, lots of days of falling snow but not much lying. It’s snowed here every day since Sunday and we got a full cover on Monday but it’s dwindled away to just shade areas. It’s frustrating how close we’ve been to a 78/79 type winter. I believe Aviemore has had lying snow since Christmas Eve, Braemar is practically buried and even the Alston/Nenthead area has had probably more days with snow cover than not this year. Shouldn’t complain though, the last couple of years show how bad it can be. I was surprised on my travels (work) today how much of Bassenthwaite was frozen. 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, trickydicky said:

It’s the same here, lots of days of falling snow but not much lying. It’s snowed here every day since Sunday and we got a full cover on Monday but it’s dwindled away to just shade areas. It’s frustrating how close we’ve been to a 78/79 type winter. I believe Aviemore has had lying snow since Christmas Eve, Braemar is practically buried and even the Alston/Nenthead area has had probably more days with snow cover than not this year. Shouldn’t complain though, the last couple of years show how bad it can be. I was surprised on my travels (work) today how much of Bassenthwaite was frozen. 

Surprised to hear that about Bassenthwaite, it is a fairly open lake and not one of the first to freeze over. Alas constrained by being able to travel, but if Bassenthwaite nearly frozen, then Rydal, Grasmere, Derwent Water and Thirlmere should have a fair bit of freeze as well. The cold only arrived on Sunday and it hasn't been especially cold, means just a bit below freezing. 

The winter so far in the Lake District has reminded me alot of winter 08/09 that one was episodic, cold and milder spells alternating. Plenty of days of snow fall, but not many mornings with cover, and no appreciable falls. The fells have variable amounts of cover, the Mountain forecast observations state there is a deep cover on Helvellyn plateau, yet I look onto the central fells and there isn't much cover right now, again indicative of the small amounts we've generally received so far.

Given the current restrictions and general state of affairs, and I know some places have had very bad flooding, speaking from a Lake District perspective how fortunate we have been that the weather has generally been kind, with lots of opportunity for getting outside.

It's a far cry from our best winter of recent times, 2009-2010, but one of the better ones of the last 20 years, on a par so far with the likes of 2008-2009, 2012-2013, mainly on account of limited very mild weather, and storms and floods.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Snowing again.

Must be the last time for a while. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, Frigid said:

If only this was the case down here... 

650981644_Screenshot2021-02-10210751.thumb.png.f2cae223e21c51e5a380d3d4556cdc1d.png

Coldest temps in Scotland since 2010. The same time when I recorded -17.7C here. I'm certain that if we had a decent deep snow cover we would've had similar values tonight under clear skies. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Coldest temps in Scotland since 2010. The same time when I recorded -17.7C here. I'm certain that if we had a decent deep snow cover we would've had similar values tonight under clear skies. 

Yes agree, we have no snow cover here, had we, then we would be probably looking at something close to -10 degrees, alas might squeeze -5 degrees at best.

• Like 2

Posted

It's ashame the cold air could not be that bit more stubborn regarding the breakdown. All that said, it does increase the risk of PPN amounts, let's just hope for some slight eastwards movements for Saturday and we can leave this cold snap with some consolation. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Not so much as a dusting here just as expected. I would rather have mild than an Easterly TBH.

Now it is just a case of waiting for 5 minutes of sleet and then rain when breakdown comes. 

Posted

-5.1C currently

I thought it would have been lower than this at this stage, it was -6C about this time yesterday.

You can tell a cold spell is nearing its end by the fact there has only been 1 post on the 0z runs in the model thread at time of this post. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1