Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just watched the met office forecast. At the end the text says 'Cold wind, Wet in west (some snow) and Milder by next week'. Screams downgrade to me.

Atlantic wins in the end. (Breakdown just a whimper)

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves
17 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

image.thumb.png.cb7f101ccfc4341802526871e93efb52.png

There's the two main directions snow have come from next week. No wonder @chicken soup was so adamant that Easterly's would be crap in this neck of the woods. Awful cold spell, woke up to a covering one day and dustings the rest but with 600m hills to kill precip from one direction and 500m hills to kill it from another direction, no wonder it's dung.

All eyes on breakdown. 

I take no joy in being right about easterlies here.. We need a nuke dropping on the pennines. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
2 hours ago, Snow free zone said:

Why does this keep happening

Whiteout Blizzard?

Posted
1 minute ago, chicken soup said:

I take no joy in being right about easterlies here.. We need a nuke dropping on the pennines. 

Not sure that would end well for most!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
6 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Just watched the met office forecast. At the end the text says 'Cold wind, Wet in west (some snow) and Milder by next week'. Screams downgrade to me.

Freezing Rain it is then?

Posted
7 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Pretty much how 1987 fizzled out. Early promises of breakdown snow and then reality was a bit of freezing drizzle and a Misty warm up in a day.

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

You were certainly right about this spell for the whole region. If we’d had a deeper cold pool, lower heights, and maybe more of a direct easterly flow, other parts of the region would have done better, even if your patch stayed dry. 

I can’t dress it up - this has been disappointing but I still prefer it to mild mush. 

We’ll see what the breakdown brings - but be warned in the SE of the region - a wind off the Pennines and a front from the west doesn’t usually end well. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Hailstoning here. quite heavy.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Beano said:

My mood is dwindling by the second

Preston : Dec 2009 & 2010 about 6cm each

....the end

Amazed how many fronts move up from the south and stop at Southport before slipping away. Nothing in 2018...nadda

For decent frontal snow here we need it to be realy coming in straight from the Irish sea ideally placed straight up and down the coast in a n/s line and as long as the cold pool in situ is cold enough .... bingo.  That's what happened in 1996.

You're  right, anything from the sw is a non starter here. Fizzles out before it gets here or splits ending up going up the coast heading towards the s lakes. 

• Like 2

Posted

Considering HP is supposed to be building, the showers in the NE have red tops, something not seen during this cold spell.

Posted

Peak District seems to be doing quite well if only the wind could change and adjust the showers north

Edited by Garthvader

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Lapse rates are much steeper today so any convection that can get going will be much deeper than previous days.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
27 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

For decent frontal snow here we need it to be realy coming in straight from the Irish sea ideally placed straight up and down the coast in a n/s line and as long as the cold pool in situ is cold enough .... bingo.  That's what happened in 1996.

You're  right, anything from the sw is a non starter here. Fizzles out before it gets here or splits ending up going up the coast heading towards the s lakes. 

Yeah 96 was the best since the 70s, remember going to the flicks to watch I think se7en and it just started snowing, came out and had to walk home, crazy stuff in West lancs/ Merseyside. That's why I was kind of hopeful in this setup but it not working out that way at the moment is it pal...

Edited by Beano
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Sunny day.. pleasant in sunshine! 

Currently 3.1C after -3.3C last night which made it the coldest temperature for 3 years.

I suspect tonight it will fall to about -4 or -5 which is extremely cold for the coast. I note that Crosby was -6C last night 

Posted

-8 maybe -9 tonight out in my rural location.

• Like 1