Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

In the next 12 hours there is a significant drop in thicknesses, T500‘s and increasing lapse rates. I would’ve thought this would lead to increased shower activity and more intense showers. Unless there is some convective inhibition happening. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 5

Posted

I had lying snow here from the 28th December until the last reminants went on the 10th January and there was more or less complete covering until the 9th, even the road still had frozen slush on the 9th January.

The uppers were not that brilliant and I could only assume the snow survived that long because of the time of year. Even the remnants of the snow that came at the end of Storm Christoph lingered in the shade to be covered by the following Saturday morning snow showers

Yet the snow that fell overnight had mostly gone by afternoon despite the much lower dewpoints and the colder airmass. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well this winter you've done good especially earlier in the winter. My sister lives near Flixton and she had snow on the ground for ages which is a bit unusual for them to say the least, and it coincided perfectly with very weak solar output in December. That front that came up from the south didn't reach this far north and east in Gtr Manchester, it pivoted around your area for a while and then slipped back south. Frustrating for here but it can happen. Like all snow events it can be a matter of just a few miles that makes a difference and luck.

Flixton is on the other side of the Ship Canal from me. It was strange seeing lying snow here and yet just a few miles away and a higher suburb there was nothing

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I predict a dramatic increase in shower activity and intensity from 6 am to around midday tomorrow spreading south

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms
3 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I predict a dramatic increase in shower activity and intensity from 6 am to around midday tomorrow spreading south

Which parts of our region would benefit Chris? 

Posted
1 minute ago, loubie_4 said:

2 minutes ago, loubie_4 said:

Well they still have to make it over the Pennines but really any of us could benefit. Just depends if you get lucky with a shower but if they are more widespread then there is more chance of getting hit by one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This line of showers look quite promising - especially going off Chris’s comments. Trajectory looks quite good for Manchester? Very unpredictable.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Got to work before 6am and it was snowing and -2.5, finished work at 6pm and it was -1.5 and snowing.

Really like the look of the shower track for the next few hours

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, jam2010 said:

such a tease! Will it won't it

Screenshot_20210209-190109_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think they will (for north Manchester). Quite a nice line of showers all the way to Filey/Bridlington. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looks like the greens went to dark blue, saying that even though dandruff is falling it's coming down quickly. amazing how quick it sticks

Edited by jam2010

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves
35 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

ECM 12z

Here it comes!

image.thumb.png.b354c95b924f1acd4434186cd3f20e43.png

...oh no.. just gets to parts of Lancashire and Cumbria..

image.thumb.png.d2d0b6246a18bb7fcd9d82278e63f323.png

I'm not holding out for a snowy breakdown and I think on the whole, it just a question on when the change to milder weather comes rather than whether it comes or not. 

If it happens like this I'm giving up on chasing snow.. Its almost like its impossible to get a decent frontal snow event into this region.. Does my head in. 

• Like 2

Posted

These showers are doing my head in. Two big lines, I’m stuck in the middle again . Those ones coming in to the south of Hull will go to mid Cheshire. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

These showers are doing my head in. Two big lines, I’m stuck in the middle again . Those ones coming in to the south of Hull will go to mid Cheshire. 

Me too, I'm still here hoping

Posted
2 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

All the juice seems to be sucked out when they hit this side of the Penines would love a green or yellow  just more dandruff.

Posted
Just now, jam2010 said:

All the juice seems to be sucked out when they hit this side of the Penines would love a green or yellow  just more dandruff.

Its unpredictable though as some are intensifying rather than dying. I’ve given up trying to understand it to be honest. Yes this last one fizzled somewhat. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

The shower which looked like heading here has miraculously swerved to the west. Seems to be a more westerly component to these than last night. Might put more of the region in with a chance later.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Why do we do this?

I've no idea, I'm just sitting here laughing my head off at the last several pages of ups, downs, moans & groans over this white fluffy stuff that falls from the sky! And after about 3 days the biggest depth anyone has is about 5mm ?

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I know it’s not over yet but this must be the tamest and yet predictable “severe” winter spell i’ve ever seen.

hard frost for the last couple of nights, barely got above freezing during daylight hours, snow showers on and off throughout the last two days, a yellow weather warning.

And still barely a covering at 1000ft.

never mind, at least we have a breakdown dumping to look forward to at the weekend.

or have we

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, frosty ground said:

They are not travelling in the same direction one is more easterly than the other

I noticed that. Who knows. There is a line of very active showers passing to the north of Sheffield , these are moving more east to west... I’m thinking they’ll hit macc/wilmslow and @Wardlegacy 

Posted

I’d just love to see a moderate shower covering everything, with poor visibility. Just one.

We had one earlier but was just a bit too light, was nice to see though. 

Edited by Joe Bloggs
  • Like 2