Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
4 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Thu - Fri retreats and fizzes out.

What do you think about Sat  - Sun?

The models show potential, but too far off for any certainty. Judging by the extended outlook, the cold air seems to be holding firm. The metoffice fax charts show the fronts really struggling to make inroads on Friday and Saturday, so hard to see the block being blasted away on Sunday, but time will tell. Hopefully a stall occurs over our region and then it all retreats, but that is probably wishful thinking!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

Thanks, it's tough going that's for sure. We'll be moving inland eventually, can't cope with how poor it's become especially the last 10 years. As a kid I remember my dad's pond freezing thick with ice nearly every year but not anymore.

Exactly this. In the last 10 years it's become really poor, 2013 and 2018 are the only real snowfalls producing a cover; everything else is a light dusting (if that). Never used to be the case, we would always get a proper cover of snow, even if it was only a few cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
4 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

And here

And here

Posted

Looks to be more NE'ly, wind direction tonight could help our Cumbrian friends?

Someone who's lived here longer than me can tell me if it's any use a bit further south (imby )? 

Edited by Frosty the Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

06z Out 

Front pushing in W early Saturday morning - possible 3hrs ppn could do with a stall feature.

Then.....

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.2a666034510b123a184b3c89991c926f.png   

Reload potential midnight Saturday  Sunday.

Beats the snizzle.

Edited by Iceaxecrampon
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Weekend actually looks amazing. It’s actually only marginal for the Crosby grid square but for my grid square it’s not until Monday morning.

Latest UKV agrees with a battle ground snow event at weekend however we know what will happen either it won't happen or it will correct south giving the Midlands another pasting.

C.S

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Glorious morning here, got lucky with that south manchester streamer last night so a thin covering remains. Another cold crisp few days in the offing. A blessing in the circumstances we are faced with, at least we can get out and enjoy it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Nice big flakes just started falling. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Regardless of what anyone says, the sun will melt your snow at this time of year no matter what.

Despite it being below freezing, the snow that fell is now melting rapidly in the strengthening February sunshine. Not much cloud about today to stop it either. Can't even hang onto a dusting in one of the coldest easterlies for years.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
2 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Regardless of what anyone says, the sun will melt your snow at this time of year no matter what.

Despite it being below freezing, the snow that fell is now melting rapidly in the strengthening February sunshine. Not much cloud about today to stop it either. Can't even hang onto a dusting in one of the coldest easterlies for years.

Well its sunny here and its snowing on and off as well so not much melting this time. All other snowy days it did melt in no time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
54 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Someone who's lived here longer than me can tell me if it's any use a bit further south (imby )? 

IMBY it doesnt really matter which direction its from, im doomed. I always thought easterlies were slightly better than NE'lys because i dont think any showers reached here in 2010 from the NE where as in the 2009 E'ly we managed about an inch.

Posted
58 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Yes a better direction for Cumbria than the current airflow. Might wake up to cm cover at least in the coming morning.

Current temp -0.2 degrees, despite the cold uppers the sun is having an effect now, and again no ice day. A max of about 1.5 to 2 degrees expected by 3pm I think.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Its simply not true, but hey hoo

If the snow is an inch or so deep then the snow will remain relatively intact unless of course its on a surface that can still aboard the heat such as a car / bin tree etc.

I know that becasue where the snow is deep enougth at home the snow hasn't melted as soon as the surface of the floor is exposed then the snow will melt around that location.

Now the sun may cause some snow to evaporate when the air temp is below zero.

The dusting you have is melting becasue the surface can still absurd the heat of the sun.

It happened during the Beast a few years back when the air temp was -3 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
10 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Met Office has my location for 10C on Monday.

Same for me - That prob be corrected nearer the time.. i do think that we are going to be in the cold -blocking side of things at least til march.. with any Atlantic incursions not making much progress through the cold eastern bloc.. just my take of things..