Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I think my area has done better than most other parts of Greater Manchester this winter. 15 days with lying snow under Met Office rules with 12 days on the trot from 28th December until 8th January, last reminants disappearing on the 10th January. 

It has been a snowy winter here so far this year. Uncharacteristically so. A bizarrely large number of opportunities to build a snowman. It’s normally unheard of round here. 

Today yet another day with snow falling but one of the few occasions this winter the snow hasn’t settled. 

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

It has been a snowy winter here so far this year. Uncharacteristically so. A bizarrely large number of opportunities to build a snowman. It’s normally unheard of round here. 

Today yet another day with snow falling but one of the few occasions this winter the snow hasn’t settled. 

Lots of snow falling days and snow on the ground days but the depth of snow has been missing. Shame this Easterly misfired but the outlook isn't mild and wet at least.

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, frosty ground said:

Lots of snow falling days and snow on the ground days but the depth of snow has been missing. Shame this Easterly misfired but the outlook isn't mild and wet at least.

Yep. If we did manage to get a 10cm fall which lasted a few days then I’d easily count this winter as the best here since 2009/2010. 

Something so special about deep snow. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I will admit to being slightly disappointed, but that's the weather for you! At least now these flurries are sticking again, hopefully will wake up to enough of a dusting to turn things white at this level.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Something so special about deep snow. 

In 2010 there were quite a few occasions where the snow would reach over my welly bobs (about a foot) not far from my back door.  This year the slushy best bits wouldn't even top my sandals.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold.

A couple of mainly light snow showers added another thin covering amidst the sunny spells. 

Currently flurries, -2.7c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Another top up here. Just wish these showers were heavy enough to deposit some proper stuff instead of dustings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather
7 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Met forecast for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Looks very interesting Thursday onwards 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
15 minutes ago, dodge said:

In 2010 there were quite a few occasions where the snow would reach over my welly bobs (about a foot) not far from my back door.  This year the slushy best bits wouldn't even top my sandals.

2010 was amazing. 10 inches of snow in the January. 8 inches in November of that year as well. A couple of falls in December 2009 that put around 3 inches on the ground on each occasion as well. An amazing couple of winters for sure which I'll be lucky to see the likes of again, especially where I live now.

• Like 3

Posted

I don’t know if anyone is watching the radar but check this shower out now due east of Manchester. It intensifies suddenly west of Holmfirth (and gets me frustratingly optimistic), and then as soon as it passes over the Peaks - it will rapidly decay.  (Reverse psychology) . It will though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
3 minutes ago, russwirral said:

Showers are seemingly changing to more of an easterly than a stiff north westerly

Yes, noticed that, and it seems to have lined the showers up better for here now as another shower has added a bit more to the initial dusting.

Posted
Just now, Joe Bloggs said:

I don’t know if anyone is watching the radar but check this shower out now due east of Manchester. It intensifies suddenly west of Holmfirth (and gets me frustratingly optimistic), and then as soon as it passes over the Peaks - it will rapidly decay.  (Reverse psychology) . It will though. 

They have been doing this today but that is a good example of it. Interesting to see what it brings 

has about 0.5cm of snow in the last few hours could be an additional inch by the end of the night depending on showers. 

everything that falls now will stay you only need half and inch to withstand the sun

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Just passing through here now I think. So far another light ish affair!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Radar off till Friday. Snizzled out. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Another snow shower just moved through but a bit more beefy this time. North sea seems to be generating less showers now, shame.

• Like 2

Posted

Yessss! The reverse psychology worked.

This shower stayed more in tact. Now coming down properly (albeit still light) but enough to give a light covering. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Yessss! The reverse psychology worked.

This shower stayed more in tact. Now coming down properly (albeit still light) but enough to give a light covering. 

haha, well I gotta say although the radar seemed to have it over me we had barely anything! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Well well well just looked outside and it's snowed and settled on all surfaces

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Gary L said:

haha, well I gotta say although the radar seemed to have it over me we had barely anything! 

Light to moderate here and giving a little covering. 

• Like 1

Posted

Was losing interest and following football and other browsing activities - just looked out the window and quite a considerable dusting left by the last shower.  Car traffic has quietened down too, so the roads covered.  Radar appears to show a more direct East to West path for the showers and they appear to keep more intact from their climb over the Pennines.  Good signs.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 4