Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted

One of the biggest letdown snow events of the season, the first week in February is simply too late for a cold spell, far too much sunshine to melt the snow cover. when we do get some.

Absolutely dismal, would take 8C mild nonsense with hammering rain over this crap. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Heaviest snow shower of the day and it still cannot settle. Going to need a serious blizzard at this rate just to get  2 or 3 cm. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It's been a dry day in West Wirral. A few flakes but mostly dry with a lot of sunshine. More cloudy recently but that wind us bitterly cold despite reaching the dizzy heights of 3C today!

Posted

It looked very good this morning around 7am, just never happened for us. Sun is going to set in the next hour, I bet all the showers will dry up then. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Nothings going to change until the showers align in a more favourable position. For my location almost everything is going to the north and south of here. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

This morning showers went to Southport, now this.. 

IMG_20210208_161742.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Next Monday now (pushed back again).

overview_20210208_12_162.thumb.jpg.ac8fd123634e61eab6737670d347046e.jpg

I'm sure we'll get some frontal snow within the next week eventually, however I don't think it'll turn milder, I think the cold will re-assert itself .

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowdrifter said:

This morning showers went to Southport, now this.. 

IMG_20210208_161742.jpg

Saw that lot whilst I was out. Passed just to the N of me looked pretty impressive seeing the snowy fog from a distance away. 

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting day synoptically. Not really a 'beast from the east' yet. I've got mates over in Rawmarsh near Rotherham (S Yorkshire)  who haven't even had this deliver the goods yet and were in an amber warning this morning, so no chance on this side of pennines. Having said that, I've enjoyed seeing the powdery snow when it has fallen - which it has done in quite a few showers at work then driving home. It's funny how it sort of blows around on the ground a bit like sand then just vanishes - the ground isn't even wet. As a fan of convective weather though I am really liking that the showers have survived their trip from the North Sea - maybe after dark something can start to settle. Hopefully something a bit more organised later in the wek. 

Posted

Lovely wintry day here. Snowed for much of the day but just too light for any accumulation. 

Was it a letdown? Depends on what you were hoping for. 

I was expecting heavier showers to be honest as a few models modelled these (GEM and Arpege), but in general they have lacked the oomph required. That also goes for the east of the hills! 

We could have done with slightly colder air too, don’t get me wrong, it’s very cold but not in the same league as BFTE. 2018 was very special as absolutely everything that fell settled and we had afternoon temps of -4C. I actually think Manchester does better on an E’ly or even ESE’ly rather than an ENE’ly too, just looking back at 1st March 2018 it seems to favour our patch for showers. 

We’ll see what happens tonight but my expectations are fairly low. 

I said this was to be a learning curve - on reflection it’s important not to compare all easterly episodes with BFTE - that was a brutal one. 

Edited by Joe Bloggs
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I would say this is an upgrade on this morning and bodes well for tonight.

1538444588_Screenshot_2021-02-08WeatherRadar-LiveUKRainfallRadarNetweather(3).thumb.png.60b3ec2a04f22dc48e8a91e942ddd7ec.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
5 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

Interesting day synoptically. Not really a 'beast from the east' yet. I've got mates over in Rawmarsh near Rotherham (S Yorkshire)  who haven't even had this deliver the goods yet and were in an amber warning this morning, so no chance on this side of pennines. Having said that, I've enjoyed seeing the powdery snow when it has fallen - which it has done in quite a few showers at work then driving home. It's funny how it sort of blows around on the ground a bit like sand then just vanishes - the ground isn't even wet. As a fan of convective weather though I am really liking that the showers have survived their trip from the North Sea - maybe after dark something can start to settle. Hopefully something a bit more organised later in the wek. 

My mum's in north anston and they had snow this morning

Posted

Showers we have had have been very light and lasted about 2 minutes.. need much more oomph about them and longer lasting to deliver a cover. I think we maxed around 1.2 degrees. Currently 0.5 degrees. Colder night expected than last night.

Really need a trough feature develop.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Wardlegacy said:

It feels more like snow now and the clouds have more of a proper convective snow cloud look to them than they have done all day. 

I'm not sure which is worse that or 'smells like snow'. What next tastes like snow in the air?