Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
Just now, CreweCold said:

You’re in a good spot up in the Pennines?

I’ll find out shortly.

The radar is showing an area of lightish showers within a few miles of here now and so far the Pennines haven’t stopped it dead so I’d expect something to start falling in the next 10 minutes or so.

Beyond that, who knows although looking at the charts, tomorrow’s trough is slightly further south than here so better for areas south of the M62.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, iand61 said:

At least they’re in their own regional rather than hogging the Model Thread.

TBH wherever it showed on the BBC news had heavy snow falling and a decent amount on the ground but everyone expects/demands the maximum from these set ups so there will no doubt be some toy throwing going on for those on the fringes.

At least they have a chance in the snow raffle though, imagine living in the Northwest and looking enviously at other parts of the country while knowing that your chances of anything more than a flake or two are almost zero.....oh wait

Looking at the radar those showers are piling in off the North Sea. Let’s hope they make it here

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Euro4 looks too good to be true for Cheshire, streamer pretty much overhead through Monday, albeit sporadic. Looks to be hinting up to 5cm is possible...will believe it when I see it!

Monday afternoon-

image.thumb.png.eb7ae88e8b5a6acfe710e430b82a7ac0.png

Snow accumulations look ok for a lot of the region-

image.thumb.png.576c1070b72bed226790eb0828cbd69f.png

Maybe we'll see Monday's yellow warning extended west later with an amber further east.

A streamer through Cheshire has been a consistent theme on the high res output for the past few runs. Seems like a good bet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
8 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

C6D4A7A5-1741-49BB-8548-B1A82FDAB2CE.thumb.png.01c25f80cf44aa822f24dac5d3517bbd.png

Monday 3pm!

I found a snowflake! 

AFD712FD-0F31-4A0B-AAC2-FD458A3A934D.pngTaken with a large pinch of salt 

Edited by Winter Hill
  • Like 1

Posted

Dusting of snow... solid ice where puddles are... icicles off guttering... snow flurries... settling on frozen ground...hoping showers in North Sea make it over in a while... looking interesting later, tonight, tomorrow... -2c currently dew must be -4c or below... 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

Dusting of snow... solid ice where puddles are... icicles off guttering... snow flurries... settling on frozen ground...hoping showers in North Sea make it over in a while... looking interesting later, tonight, tomorrow... -2c currently dew must be -4c or below... 

Grey cold and damp here

Posted
5 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

What an amazing looking outlook! February has all the ingredients to be a memorable month.

To the hear & now and next couple of days - Upgrades!

Firstly the MetO are waking up to the snow possibilities:

Today:

A dry day for some in the west with plenty of sunny spells, though scattered light snow showers will continue to feed into the region from the east all day. Remaining cold with bitter winds giving a strong wind chill. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Tonight:

Scattered snow showers this evening, becoming more widespread and often heavy overnight. Otherwise some clear spells, with widespread frost and risk of ice. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

Monday:

Plenty of sunny spells, especially in the west. However, snow showers will feed in from the east, some turning heavy. Very cold with chill winds. Widespread frost early and late. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

I expect these to upgrade further in all honesty, it's not your typical crap dry Easterly!

Today.

21020712_0700.thumb.gif.aa0281c24ab58bad9192784656b8a039.gif

Some ides from the mods for Mon/Tues.

euro4_uk1-1-32-0.thumb.png.82eed8e98e736264f27babd2dcbf61f0.png21020821_0700.thumb.gif.4f85bac9255f59b3c97cf2523439f046.gif

ECM smelling the coffee.

overview_20210207_00_036.thumb.jpg.6f853f107e3574b98cc54d66b5867608.jpgoverview_20210207_00_060.thumb.jpg.f6d357915c6073f9314976cac3896e38.jpg

WRF - Streamer much further North this morn from Cheshire, wouldn't take much of a nudge to hit Manchester/Warrington/Merseyside properly.

nmm_uk1-1-32-0.thumb.png.66e86b4fe2a9fb32ae8cd7a946d4b954.png

Later in the week the West MAY see some more general snow, one to keep an eye on, chances at this stage that it won't make it but we'll see.

overview_20210207_00_132.thumb.jpg.56a872b7f0f2ff2eb823c53e9646ea02.jpg

As Ian McCaskill once said "A grim outlook, wrap up well" ❄️

Thanks for that... saves me a job, I’m knackered from looking at charts !!! Great post. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Thanks for that... saves me a job, I’m knackered from looking at charts !!! Great post. 

Haha, I know what you mean mate.

Off for a walk to clear the head.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

We’ve got snizzle 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Bit late to the game this AM - but has anyone seen Kent? 

As for the NW Radar has plenty of Pinks on the way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Just got sent these photos of in the Netherlands. IMG-20210207-WA0002.thumb.jpg.a65e826a69fb44002c1c1fb1d90727e6.jpg

IMG-20210207-WA0001.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

The theme for a streamer to set up later today/tomorrow has been holding pretty firm on the models. As to exactly where this sets up, time will tell, but they'll likely still be snow showers in locations not lucky enough to be under the streamer, so hopefully something for everyone. The metoffice forecast sounds encouraging for tonight and tomorrow and maybe some bonus flurries on and off today. A very interesting and potentially exciting few days ahead. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
2 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Doesn't look as deep as they were forecast to be honest. 

Any way still dry and snowless, if a bit cold here. 

I'd say it's pretty deep.. don't forget the snow is blowing around and they have this for the whole day yet.

Posted
Just now, Dexter said:

The theme for a streamer to set up later today/tomorrow has been holding pretty firm on the models. As to exactly where this sets up, time will tell, but they'll likely still be snow showers in locations not lucky enough to be under the streamer, so hopefully something for everyone. The metoffice forecast sounds encouraging for tonight and tomorrow and maybe some bonus flurries on and off today. A very interesting and potentially exciting few days ahead. 

I think that’s a good assessment too. I think showers for most parts of the region, lighter as you head west. The streamer seems mainly to be shown over Cheshire but a few frames show it creeping north at times, depends on which model you look at.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & storms. Or very hot. None of this raining when it's sunny rubbish
50 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

AFD712FD-0F31-4A0B-AAC2-FD458A3A934D.pngTaken with a large pinch of salt 

Fingers crossed - at least I’ll be able to see snow from afar 

BFD12988-0163-4D08-955F-C33CEDF46F22.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Doesn't look as deep as they were forecast to be honest. 

Any way still dry and snowless, if a bit cold here. 

Theyre meant to have strong winds... so if its drifting then most photos will show a thin covering.with most of the snow probably ending up in the canals or stuck to walls and trees. Its hard to get deep snow in strong winds unless you have lots of shelter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Light snow flurry/snow grains here. Very encouraging to be seeing this already.

• Like 2

Posted

Still got a few flakes blowing about in the wind but it looks like the mighty Pennines are once again doing an impression of the Andes and stopping everything in its tracks.

hopefully the heavier stuff now out in the east will reach the Pennines without losing their intensity and then manage to get over to our side but I’m not that convinced really and expect us to have a grey, cold but mainly dry day.

• Like 4

Posted

I strongly suspect all we’ll get today is flurries. 

Tonight onwards will be the window for showers as they get heavier and push in off the North Sea, I’m guessing southern areas of the region most at risk tomorrow but further north Monday night into Tuesday.

All highly uncertain though. 

• Like 3