Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

A good post and I agree with you. We’ll see how we get on! Not long till it goes bitterly cold now  

Yep, 24 hours from now the colder air will be digging in..

Where is karyo ? We had some late nights in here over the years...

Think feb 2009 was an easterly ...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy drifting snow
5 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Snake pass Monday

Yeah lol can’t wait fingers crossed and everything else

Posted
14 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Yeah while we are deciding which side of the street can have the showers, on the other side of the Atlantic, a storm dropped upwards of two feet of snow over a thousand miles of the eastern US.

this country really is the pits when it comes to extreme weather.

This could be varying out of model discussion, but has the UK ever had an event where one of those lows has both kept it's intensity and made it all the way to our shores with cold enough air , would be some snow depths from that set up. 

• Like 1

Posted

Tomorrow's forecast looks truly vile before the chance of back edge snow - incessant cold rain driven on by a strong east wind.  Wish we could skip it and go straight to the wintry showers but alas no such luck.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
9 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

This could be varying out of model discussion, but has the UK ever had an event where one of those lows has both kept it's intensity and made it all the way to our shores with cold enough air , would be some snow depths from that set up. 

When I was a kid, the saying always used to be that whatever weather the US got, we had about 2 weeks later.

I grew up believing that but I’ve yet to see it happen.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
9 minutes ago, dodge said:

Tomorrow's forecast looks truly vile before the chance of back edge snow - incessant cold rain driven on by a strong east wind.  Wish we could skip it and go straight to the wintry showers but alas no such luck.

Knowing our luck we’ll manage to skip the back edge snow and showers and just keep the rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
28 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yep, 24 hours from now the colder air will be digging in..

Where is karyo ? We had some late nights in here over the years...

Think feb 2009 was an easterly ...

I believe he moved back to Greece for a while not sure where he is now though.

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Knowing our luck we’ll manage to skip the back edge snow and showers and just keep the rain.

Given your location and height, your certain to get snowfall tomorrow afternoon/evening aslong as the PPN is there. Once the true cold air undercuts, it be a fairly quick process. 

I'm not sure if the cold air is coming in quicker, all the snow reports in the Scottish thread seem to be on quite high ground and Aberdeenshire is pretty much in the colder air but I am looking forward too seeing more reports of rain turning to snow  at lower levels in the next 18-24 hours. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
14 minutes ago, iand61 said:

When I was a kid, the saying always used to be that whatever weather the US got, we had about 2 weeks later.

I grew up believing that but I’ve yet to see it happen.

Whenever it shows it snowing in New York on the news the missus says the same thing so it's a common mistake people make as the Atlantic highly modifies the cold before it gets here. It's true however that we can get rain 5 days or so after they do as a LP tracks across the Atlantic. Remenants of Hurricanes for example.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

Given your location and height, your certain to get snowfall tomorrow afternoon/evening aslong as the PPN is there. Once the true cold air undercuts, it be a fairly quick process. 

I'm not sure if the cold air is coming in quicker, all the snow reports in the Scottish thread seem to be on quite high ground and Aberdeenshire is pretty much in the colder air but I am looking forward too seeing more reports of rain turning to snow  at lower levels in the next 18-24 hours. 

I think the bit about “as long as the PPN is there” is key as the latest models want to keep it east of the Pennines and, surprise, surprise give the Midlands some snow instead.

May all be nothing to worry about in the end but we always seem to struggle to get a share in anything interesting when it comes to weather.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

You got mine by the looks of it  

image.thumb.png.e7e53b88f5e266a59a8e9789a3a4c0bf.png

Bloody hell mate that is a depressing forecast.

Ours isn’t much better and I’m half expecting further downgrades of tomorrow’s snow but you’ll be on a hose pipe ban by Thursday at this rate.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
5 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Whenever it shows it snowing in New York on the news the missus says the same thing so it's a common mistake people make as the Atlantic highly modifies the cold before it gets here. It's true however that we can get rain 5 days or so after they do as a LP tracks across the Atlantic. Remenants of Hurricanes for example.

Damn Gulf Stream. If it weren't for that we would have amazing winters year in, year out given our latitude, which is the same as Canada.

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Damn Gulf Stream. If it weren't for that we would have amazing winters year in, year out given our latitude, which is the same as Canada.

If it weren’t for the Gulf Stream, our fields would be tundra and ports icebound for half of the year.

not that we would need the fields and ports as the UK wouldn’t exist as a major developed country.

but for the Gulf Stream, ourselves along with all of Scandinavia and most of north west Europe would barely be habitable.

but your right, the winters would be amazing

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

Looks like my road, spot the palm tree, in fact I'm sure @SP1986 has one too, in good old Costa Del Wirral   

I have a few palm trees. I also have guava plants, bananas and Citrus. It's like Florida down here!* 

*If florida was in the north Atlantic. 

Alas I'm not actually joking when I say we grow palm trees here in Wirral. This is in New Brighton.

cidp1.jpg

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 4

Posted

Where is tomorrow’s rain to snow event coming from as that lot in the NE and Scotland seems to be heading away from us.

Posted
10 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Where is tomorrow’s rain to snow event coming from as that lot in the NE and Scotland seems to be heading away from us.

It's the showers that form behind it once it gets lost isn't it?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Snake pass Monday

image.thumb.png.05d740e7374e2b26dd1e419ed2810d61.png With local bus from Manchester to Sheffield

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, iand61 said:

It will transfer southwards as the low very slowly heads southwards and eastwards and the cold air will start to undercut the PPN as the winds increase. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

@WillinGlossop

Have you seen the 'real' updated day 5 fax mate? That trough is heading our way, it's now at the East Coast moving in. Someone else can post it, I'm off to bed.  

Posted

It's the calm before the (hopefully) snow storm. Regardless, it's going to get cold anyway. I was outside at work today and it felt really quite nice in the sun - it always makes it hard to believe how quickly it can change - to go from this mild-ish feeling few days to struggling to get above freezing. I'm excited anyway just to see how it pans out. 

• Like 1