Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ramp said:

Snow Saturday evening and then strong easterly winds until at least Wednesday which is as far as I’m looking. I don’t see the point in chasing a breakdown and not enjoying the cold spell for what it is. I see persistent snow showers making it over the Pennines and with consecutive ice days everything will stick. 
Being snow obsessive and having lived in north east Gtr Manchester area most of my life I remember all our classic winters from the early 80’s onwards. This set up always delivers.

Agreed. I’ve been driving myself mad looking at charts but I’m going for..

- heavy scattered snow showers east of M6

- Heavy snow in east of the region at altitude with possible significant accumulations 

- generally dry west of M6 unless a streamer develops (very possible).

That’s before the possible breakdown later in the week. I’m gonna try and stop checking the charts soon and focus on the radar from tomorrow lunchtime. Need to try and enjoy it whether it snows or not. 

• Like 3

Posted

MOD thread seems very subdued this morning. Maybe something to do with the possible Atlantic push later in the week?

• Like 3

Posted

Feels lovely and spring like in the sun currently. 

I know we aren't to trust the apps, but they have me down for snow from 5pm tomorrow now, yesterday it was 10pm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
17 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Agreed. I’ve been driving myself mad looking at charts but I’m going for..

- heavy scattered snow showers east of M6

- Heavy snow in east of the region at altitude with possible significant accumulations 

- generally dry west of M6 unless a streamer develops (very possible).

That’s before the possible breakdown later in the week. I’m gonna try and stop checking the charts soon and focus on the radar from tomorrow lunchtime. Need to try and enjoy it whether it snows or not. 

Exactly, what’s the point in chasing these Synoptics if we are not going to enjoy them once here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

In Crosby in 2018 I had about 4 cm of snow from showers after the trough on the 27th. That’s pretty good for the west coast. Surprised others on the West Coast didn’t get anything from that.

• Like 4

Posted

What are your take on things @Kasim Awan as things stand now? Are you going to create one of those snow risk maps for the wknd - next week, will b really nice to have your output on things

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, Ramp said:

Snow Saturday evening and then strong easterly winds until at least Wednesday which is as far as I’m looking. I don’t see the point in chasing a breakdown and not enjoying the cold spell for what it is. I see persistent snow showers making it over the Pennines and with consecutive ice days everything will stick. 
Being snow obsessive and having lived in north east Gtr Manchester area most of my life I remember all our classic winters from the early 80’s onwards. This set up always delivers.

I understand, but me a Sussex born and bred, and was out in my car in the last Blizzard I was ever in in 1978ish. But since moving to Pembrokeshire in 1987 than Blackpool for 23 years up to late 2000s I have seen anything more than an inch, not the 10feet I walked to school in in my era.   Manchester has a strange climate, I can vouch for that as a civilian Airliner hobby. And a A320 mocked up cockpit on Flight Sim x.   I see at the Manchester runway viewing park where Concorde is, many times on video and in real life, how turbulent the cross winds are at Manchester Airport. I only live as the crow flies around 20 miles from Salford In Newtown Wigan, just a few minutes drive from the Bolton Stadium. But for some reason none if ever precipitation arrives from the east here. Only rain bearing Atlantic lows. I have studied many charts this morning, windy , main weather channels, and all give clear sunny but frosty forecasts for Wigan area, although we are supposed to be part of Greater Manchester, but within this new Greater Manchester area, the weather you get on the East side is very different from what you get in West Manchester or West Lancashire and for many people  Wigan will always be in Lancashire and reject being in Greater Manchester...With 60%F being forecast soon as 14 days, I can't see any Beast getting to us. If you get some in parts of Manchester enjoy it, as scientists point out that by 2030 snow in Britain will be very rare due to climate changes and co2 plus the ever increasing levels of Methane.  See, you live in East Manchester thats a long way from Wigan and Ince on Makesfield where I live. The weather divides us lol

• Like 2

Posted

OMG, locations are back on message headers on mobile. That will make tracking snow reports much easier.

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Ramp said:

Absolutely. You can stare at charts all you want, but 40yrs plus experience of having these setups locally tells me to expect the potential for snow to be great. Heavy snow will make it this far west plus a bit further. The issue could be that if showers form lines instead of bands it could be very frustrating seeing snow continuously pass 5 or 10 miles north or south. We'll find out soon enough. 

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, PennineMark said:

Absolutely. You can stare at charts all you want, but 40yrs plus experience of having these setups locally tells me to expect the potential for snow to be great. Heavy snow will make it this far west plus a bit further. The issue could be that if showers form lines instead of bands it could be very frustrating seeing snow continuously pass 5 or 10 miles north or south. We'll find out soon enough. 

THIS !!  

This will be a very good test of our thoughts. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

OMG, locations are back on message headers on mobile. That will make tracking snow reports much easier.

A good segway on to this - I know most people already do but can you please check you have your height above sea level in your location - it helps distinguish how helpful a snow report is for other users in your vicinity (20m asl - complaining of no snow or low depths in the same shower that gives 2-3cm a few miles down the road, whilst someone at 600m saying their buried and the rest of us wondering what the fuss about is all too common) 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, PennineMark said:

Something tells me this latest forecast update on the Met app isn't quite right .

Screenshot_20210205-125253_Met Office.jpg

I believe they will rectify nearer the time... they probably dont want to get caught..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Met/BBC apps useless until T -1

• Like 3

Posted

Just For Fun as I've too much time on my hands

The met office have the showers tomorrow night dying somewhere around Burnely turning to sleet in Padiham and then nothingness in Blackburn. 

That's an incredibly westward starting point for an E'LY, which suggest to me they reckon this could deliver quite widely, will keep an update over tonight and tomorrow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
2 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Met/BBC apps useless until T -1

Think we both know it's cold and dry for us here Chris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I do think we'll get more snow than we think.. even here in the west. But it stands to reason that the further west you are or the closer you are to a rainshadow, the less we will get 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Think we both know it's cold and dry for us here Chris

Disagree I think we will see quite a few showers from time to time and hopefully some disturbances in the flow.

How much snow did you get from the 2018 beast btw?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
Just now, Chris.R said:

Disagree I think we will see quite a few showers from time to time and hopefully some disturbances in the flow.

Just looked back on my photos, look to be about 1-2cm at best. I can see us having a few leftover flakes. The scraps that the East don't hog. Other than that, can't see it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Coming into view

21020711_0506.thumb.gif.b6704136ad04300ccf5afb443693cac8.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Fully agree with this.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Just For Fun as I've too much time on my hands

The met office have the showers tomorrow night dying somewhere around Burnely turning to sleet in Padiham and then nothingness in Blackburn. 

That's an incredibly westward starting point for an E'LY, which suggest to me they reckon this could deliver quite widely, will keep an update over tonight and tomorrow. 

Love within 20 minutes of posting this has been updated to snow in Blackburn. With the line moved westwards to somewhere between Preston and Blackburn.

Imagine the closer we get to this the more confidence will increase and the further west this'll get/ 

Edited by Frosty the Snowman