Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

UKMET Mon 6am

P6_GZ_D5_PN_102_0000.thumb.gif.c0fbc40ae55312e7805e98984e9f2a50.gif

EDIT: I got my charts mixed up when loading them, it's the GEM.

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 8

Posted
5 minutes ago, Beano said:

Tried booting up in safe mode or will it not even get to BIOS? Had a similar issue a few years back and the CMOS chip lost info so I had to download BIOS again from motherboard manufacturers website. If yours has that functionality you can give it a try perhaps mate?

You would have to attach laptop to internet by Ethernet though as obviously it won't boot up to windows to get wireless. Best of luck..bloody nightmare things to work on aren't they!

Thanks mate, yes @Frosty the Snowman has mentioned this to me, so I will give it a go tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
Just now, Day 10 said:

Thanks mate, yes @Frosty the Snowman has mentioned this to me, so I will give it a go tomorrow.

let us both know how you got on mate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
9 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

image.thumb.png.be9f9b32be0069a0584ed620de0eec07.png

This is the chart ian's referring to for everyone elses benefit. (Cheers @Harsh Climate)

Ties in with the fax chart 

CDF3B09C-8129-489A-9882-A87B5C914324.gif

69046EA4-5214-4D4D-8DE3-628E23E749CF.gif

Posted

Unlike Ian I'll fully admit to doing IMBY if you can't do it in the regionals, where the heck can you. There's a convergence line hanging around that has been referred to a number of times and is consistently showing up on the charts, a route for the Cheshire/Lancashire/Merseyside area to sustained snowfall. 

Here it is on the 12Z GFS breaching the Pennine snowshield at 15:00 Monday - and remaining in place until Tuesday 06:00 when to the delight of those further north it moves northwards by 12:00 Tuesday 

image.thumb.png.ddaa300bc3df85ac3ca787aff228757c.pngimage.thumb.png.c12a3cda12b7804e192694bf68e92d93.pngimage.thumb.png.4a5f5179d3843934ae325e909413dfe4.png

(I posted this up accidentally was a draft from earlier, @Winter Hill has got there with the fax chart that's probably more use) 

Edited by Frosty the Snowman
  • Like 3

Posted
31 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

in 2018 BFTE it was quite interesting. Despite the ground being very wet prior to it, the air was very very dry, and the ground dried out unbelievably quickly. When it came to warming up in April, the ground was a dust bowl. Amazing how fast moisture can get sucked out of the ground with a brisk, cold, low humidity easterly.

Also I 'hate' to say it, but those guys in the far southeast.. they're getting rain off this. Kent will be slushy sleet and rain fest. 

Good bye soon to the Atlantic weather hopefully.  Love the arrival of dry spring conditions with a sunny easterly,  even it we get a drought as last year.  Then all outdoor work possible at last.  We've still to get through March though.  Almost 100% guarantee of snow that month.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

UKMET Mon 6am

P6_GZ_D5_PN_102_0000.thumb.gif.c0fbc40ae55312e7805e98984e9f2a50.gif

Edit: got my charts mixed up

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, chris78 said:

Yeah me to, Im not a native although lived here of 20 years.    Loads going for it.   

Born in and brought up on the butter pies of Preston. 48 years later and weather wise it must be up there as one of the most northerly snowless towns lol, friends down south think we are buried in snow every year...bonkers. Love it to bits though. Crying shame we are surrounded by Blackpool and Blackburn though. You chose right mate .

A friendly to those areas mentioned

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I recall a few instances of showery easterlies in my time.. maybe 2007-8? My recollection however was that often they missed the Wirral, dying out or going north of here, many times, if the showery activity wasn't full on. Merseyside did ok though in the north. 

Mind you were in different times, and not exactly the same setup as that so it'll be interesting to see if those showers do make it across.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Beano said:

Born in and brought up on the butter pies of Preston. 48 years later and weather wise it must be up there as one of the most northerly snowless towns lol, friends down south think we are buried in snow every year...bonkers. Love it to bits though. Crying shame we are surrounded by Blackpool and Blackburn though. You chose right mate .

Definitely mate, roughly to the left of the red line is horrendous for lying snow. Like you say probably up there with the worst Northern areas.

Inkedmap-of-england.thumb.gif.fe3bda9fb419a248b346c315764af043.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
58 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

I've added it

Query.

How big is the fish?

Posted
5 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Isn’t that the GEM? Looks great! 

Yeah mate, I quoted myself earlier noting my error. But yeah still looking good.

Posted

Just been looking at some of the charts, hoping they pull through, been too many positive runs to be let down now - hoping everyone manages to get some major snow action next week

ICON Sunday - 00:00 / Looking decent at moment. 

image.thumb.png.0dde2a9283577af6a58a2054e5ad61cd.png

GFS looks very interesting early hours on the 11th- snow rates looking good!

image.thumb.png.084ff505425d3a83a42a459c56fd8974.png

GFS/ECM predicted Snow depths later during day 11th 

image.thumb.png.f3f05bc5c9afaa60a1f1985b43cb1c62.pngimage.thumb.png.f849f4cdbe78fd3af2f9a5143d4821eb.png

Edited by SnowWatcher2
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Whatever the amount of snow and longevity of this cold spell, lets just take a moment to appreciate the synoptics. Not often we see them like this. 

h500slp.png

• Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Definitely mate, roughly to the left of the red line is horrendous for lying snow. Like you say probably up there with the worst Northern areas.

Inkedmap-of-england.thumb.gif.fe3bda9fb419a248b346c315764af043.gif

12 minutes ago, Beano said:

Adjusted.

Inkedmap-of-englanda.thumb.gif.41461cc6c4b423cc2c66d0b36d472aac.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
5 hours ago, Day 10 said:

@cheshire snow I'm sure the whole thread would agree with me here that you are an extremely valued member of the forum, do not let an idiot like that come in here and disrupt what is the best thread on Net-Weather!

Just ignore him & do not leave!

Such a shame I was working earlier on

He is a valued member and this is the best thread on Netweather.

Trolls can jog on

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Adjusted.

Inkedmap-of-englanda.thumb.gif.41461cc6c4b423cc2c66d0b36d472aac.gif

Thanks pal

• Like 2

Posted

Just wondering the snow bomb a few years ago was that an Easterly? I can't remember, just that work was really worried about it and on the day thr Pennines swallowed it all up or was that a rain shodow, I seem to have been traumatised by the event. I really hope we all do well! im trying not to even think anything of it yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
27 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Query.

How big is the fish?

image.thumb.png.5aaed6f64acb487b9dd970c9915693e2.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, frosty ground said:

The region is to far north for when the front sinks south the cold air is at this time just behind the front but as you say that could change 

Dont get me wrong, Im not expecting lying snow at lower levels(as of yet) but the cold air for Saturday is coming slightly sooner than it did on yesterday runs. 

Oh after a few days of easterly winds, I most certainly be encouraging that Atlantic low coming as close as possible, with the air so cold, its going to be a bit stubborn to shift it. That said, for this region, it has to be lined up perfectly to deliver true frontal snow. 

Posted

UKV 15Z update - better compared to the 03Z run.

image.thumb.png.5ddda5b7bfd534cc6a5217cd32769f30.pngimage.thumb.png.ce87ef4d5bc387db99ecee314afb91bc.png

Edited by SnowWatcher2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

BBC northwest didn't have any snow symbols at all for this weekend or next, but snow to come just not sure he said  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Could be looking at least 4 ice days in a row coming up round here. Not bad at all & not to mention potential snow as well. It's already been a good interesting winter, this upcoming even colder spell was really the only thing missing and could put the cherry on the cake. We'll see but it does look good going forward. Hope you guys in the west of the region get in on the action as well.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Manchester_Sunset said:

BBC northwest didn't have any snow symbols at all for this weekend or next, but snow to come just not sure he said  

I'm always reluctant to watch too many forecasts because it just stresses you out even more. At the end of the day, all the fancy graphics can say this and that but it's that radar is what really counts. 

• Like 1