Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted

So nice to have a mild calm and DRY day, so far.   The wet has been relentless for weeks.  Just this month so far 49.8mm.   So a brisk drying E wind will be welcome, specially wth some sunshine.  But not a LOT more snow please.   Causes so much work and expense, quite apart from hazardous conditions.  The last dollop is still lying around.   It will takes more snow to shift it -- according to the the old saying up here.

2021 feb 4 snowdrops and snow close.jpg

Posted
2 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

The Great 2021 BFTE Snow Depth Prediction

....................Deadline Past.....................

Will be interesting to see what we all get. 

Frosty the Snowman - Blackburn 15cm

Andypvfc - Cheshire 2cm

iand61 Bacup - 10-30cm

Snow Free Zone - 0cm

Joe Snow - Sandbach 4cm

Slidergate 17 Sale 2cm

Winter Hill - Horwich - 10cm

Chicken Soup - Blackburn - dusting 

William Glossop - 15cm

Osca31 - Brigrigg Cumbria- 1cm

Robbo - Hattersley - 8cm

Cheshire Snow - Northwich - 12cm

Chris78 - Preston - 1cm

Raul_sbd - Sale - 3cm

Thundersnow - Carlisle - 0.5 cm

Dy 10 - 5cm - Wirral 

SnowWatcher2 - High Crompton - 8cm

Face Like Thunder - Crewe - 0cm

Fellmike - Crewe - 2cm

ManchesterSunset - Stockport - 5cm

Swainclubber - Littleborough - 7cm

Mark Blackpool 2cm

Had Worse - Glossop - 19.05cm

Kasim - Buxton - 16cm

Hailseizertoo - Wavertree - 6cm

Dkeane3 - South Manchester - 3cm

JamesM - Saddleworth- 12cm

Jam2010 - north Manchester 4.5 cm

Captaincroc - Halmer End - 14cm

Mark88 - Merseyside- 0cm

Shaun L - Wallasey - 3cm

toccylad - Mossley Hill - 0cm

Snowmad79 - Sholver - 30cm

Fell Mike - Crewe - 15cm

Ramp - Newhey - 14cm

Weather History - Irlam - 0.5cm

Crewe Cold 1c

Miamay Liverpool 0cm

Dodge - Oldham - 4cm

Loubie_4 - Maghull - 4cm

Dexter - Northwich 2cm

Cumbria Marra 0cm

SP1986 - Heswall -0

Pip - Clayton-le-Woods 3cm

Iceaxecrampon - Salwick - dusting

Georgiesnow- Morecambe- 1cm

Snowdrifter - Lytham - 0.5cm

Joggs - Bingley - 6.5 cm

Deadline 5pm Thursday 

£5 to the Winner for a fish Supper! 

Final measurements on concrete 5pm Wednesday, allow for drifting - best guess. 

I tagged you before the deadline earlier today  , feel free to add mine. 5cm 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
21 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Any of you guys good with computers?

I have an Acer Aspire XC-885 Desktop that does not boot up properly, I get these 3 messages:

Setup settings error or CMOS checksum error or CMOS battery error.

I've narrowed it down to the first 2 as I replaced the battery today.

Struggling to find the exact advice online, any clues?

I'm not a total novice with computers so if it's a case of changing some settings then i can do.

Thanks.

Sorry mate, not the foggiest but hopefully there are a few on here of a younger generation who can help.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

I have an Acer Aspire XC-885 Desktop that does not boot up properly, I get these 3 messages:

I'm not a total novice with computers so if it's a case of changing some settings then i can do.

Thanks.

Just mentioned this to my colleague.. he has advised to try and clear the CMOS, to do that unplug power and open the PC, there should be a batter that looks like a watch battery. Remove this and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds. Put the battery back in and plug the pc back in. Try booting it up again.
I think this is the motherboard for that pc, I've circled the CMOS battery

Screenshot_20210204-171627_Samsung Notes.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted

Maybe I was a little too hasty in writing the snow chances off for Saturday, the colder air is forecast to come in a little quicker again so there is an increased chance of an undercut. Marginal stuff but one to watch, details will be hard to pin down though. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
19 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

So nice to have a mild calm and DRY day, so far.   The wet has been relentless for weeks.  Just this month so far 49.8mm.   So a brisk drying E wind will be welcome, specially wth some sunshine.  But not a LOT more snow please.   Causes so much work and expense, quite apart from hazardous conditions.  The last dollop is still lying around.   It will takes more snow to shift it -- according to the the old saying up here.

in 2018 BFTE it was quite interesting. Despite the ground being very wet prior to it, the air was very very dry, and the ground dried out unbelievably quickly. When it came to warming up in April, the ground was a dust bowl. Amazing how fast moisture can get sucked out of the ground with a brisk, cold, low humidity easterly.

Also I 'hate' to say it, but those guys in the far southeast.. they're getting rain off this. Kent will be slushy sleet and rain fest. 

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
15 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I tagged you before the deadline earlier today  , feel free to add mine. 5cm 

I've added it

Posted
8 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Maybe I was a little too hasty in writing the snow chances off for Saturday, the colder air is forecast to come in a little quicker again so there is an increased chance of an undercut. Marginal stuff but one to watch, details will be hard to pin down though. 

The region is to far north for when the front sinks south the cold air is at this time just behind the front but as you say that could change 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

in 2018 BFTE it was quite interesting. Despite the ground being very wet prior to it, the air was very very dry, and the ground dried out unbelievably quickly. When it came to warming up in April, the ground was a dust bowl. Amazing how fast moisture can get sucked out of the ground with a brisk, cold, low humidity easterly.

Also I 'hate' to say it, but those guys in the far southeast.. they're getting rain off this. Kent will be slushy sleet and rain fest. 

you think? you reckon low will be further north than UKMO suggesting? to me Sunday is a SE snowfest, Kent too

Posted
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

The region is to far north for when the front sinks south the cold air is at this time just behind the front but as you say that could change 

Couldn't the front not coming up north be a blessing in disguise allowing constantly convective flow from east for the eastern side of the region and avoiding getting stuck in this gap

image.thumb.png.6330641bd94294df4635b06d48c3483e.png

Posted
27 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

Jeez. How far above sea level do you live to still have snow from previous events? 

Surely it would shift with an early spring as well aside from more snow? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

you think? you reckon low will be further north than UKMO suggesting? to me Sunday is a SE snowfest, Kent too

At this point I reckon so. Could change of course, but I've been following events unfold in the Netherlands forecast as well, and in general, the milder air seems to have inched northwards there, whilst the precipitation band has moved south. So if I take anything from that, I don't necessarily expect the low to be further north.. however I do believe there is potential for a milder sector or some inrodes of milder air coming into the southern parts. 

For example the original trend showed Vlissingen in NL getting a lot of snow on Sunday, originally, but now it's definitely trending to rain.

However! I think certainly north of the Thames it looks like snow at this stage.

Yet it could all revert back southwards again on some runs! 

We will see!

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Some in the Yorkshire thread are posting charts that show showers piling across from the east and easily crossing the Pennines into our region.

hopefully it turns out that way. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Thanks to @Frosty the Snowman & @Slidergate '17 I'll try these options tomorrow

@iand61 bloody useless mate!

I know how to switch one on but if it doesn’t open correctly and doesn’t rectify by turning it off and back on again I go ape and then look around the office for someone who likes noughties music better than 80’s as they usually have the answer.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
3 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Some in the Yorkshire thread are posting charts that show showers piling across from the east and easily crossing the Pennines into our region.

I’d better up my 10cm  to 20cm then

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Winter Hill said:

Me too

1cm to 1.5cm

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

You can have 10 of my greedy 30 as I haven’t a hope in hell of getting that much.

I’ll send it over

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, iand61 said:

image.thumb.png.be9f9b32be0069a0584ed620de0eec07.png

This is the chart ian's referring to for everyone elses benefit. (Cheers @Harsh Climate)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
55 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Thanks.

Tried booting up in safe mode or will it not even get to BIOS? Had a similar issue a few years back and the CMOS chip lost info so I had to download BIOS again from motherboard manufacturers website. If yours has that functionality you can give it a try perhaps mate?

You would have to attach laptop to internet by Ethernet though as obviously it won't boot up to windows to get wireless. Best of luck..bloody nightmare things to work on aren't they!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Jeez. How far above sea level do you live to still have snow from previous events? 

Surely it would shift with an early spring as well aside from more snow? 

150m ASL --  on the rain sloshed west slopes.  That last snowfall was 5 inch and drifted deeper.   Basically just more pesky wet in another form.    A layer of snow still on top of a parked car and still lying in drifted places.  Road clear though.

2021 feb 4 lingering snow.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Last few days have seen those convergence lines in a favourable position on the fax charts, hopefully they remain as they are up to Saturday. This could be our route to seeing something a bit more substantial than flakes in the wind IMO.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Frosty the Snowman said:

image.thumb.png.be9f9b32be0069a0584ed620de0eec07.png

This is the chart ian's referring to for everyone elses benefit. (Cheers @Harsh Climate)

Cheers matey.

not brilliant for everyone but in true SE Mad thread fashion, sod you lot but it’s going to bury me and that’s all that matters

only joking as I don’t do IMBY but things seem to be looking better for the northwest than was the case earlier.

hope we all get plenty of what’s on offer

• Like 2