Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Guys...

I've so much going on outside net weather at the moment , so I won't be posting,or moaning too much lol.

Anyway, please don't take the apps literally at this timeframe... 

The majority ,even in our hopeless region will see some snow over the next 7 days, I'm sure of it.

Hope everything is ok pal 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Andypvfc said:

Come onto the Midlands thread mate, being on the North Staffs / South Cheshire border I need your support. . I've got them in the South of the Midlands celebrating, whilst we get nowt because we are too far North West and I've now got some in the North West celebrating potential streamers, troughs, whilst we are too far South East .

We need a South Cheshire / North Staffs region on here

I like the weather here in South Cheshire. Take today, dry from the word go and not too chilly. If we get snow next weekend / week, then so be it, but if not, I shall have won my prediction of 0cm of snow for the area. And there are often little surprises to see, for example opening the curtains one  evening recently and seeing some totally unexpected snow falling from the sky. OK, we have a bit of a micro-climate here in Crewe, with weather at odds with Chester, Stoke and even Alsager, but that's the way I like it. I've often got lost recently on the NW discussion page, with all its technicalities, but I'll keep looking and contributing when I can.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Fanks mate , yes and no TBH ,it involves my son who has health problems ... hope you feeling better

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks mate.

Best wishes to you & family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

MetO

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Bright with wintry showers in the west Saturday, but snow over the Pennines. Colder with more frequent snow showers on Sunday and Monday, bringing a risk of ice. Bitter winds.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Thu 4 Feb 2021

A bit of a strange statement that.

Wouldn’t you think that more frequent snow showers would give a risk of accumulations rather than a risk of ice, especially given that temperatures should be at a level where even daytime thawing isn’t likely.

it is the fence sitting BBC though so it’s understandable and the conclusion will probably lie somewhere between that and the end of days headlines dreamed up by the daily newspapers.

one thing is certain though, if a warning is shown across this region and it turns out to be for the risk of ice there will be some mightily peed of members, especially if the warnings in the rest of the country are for heavy drifting snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Fanks mate , yes and no TBH ,it involves my son who has health problems ... hope you feeling better

Hope everything works out ok for you and your family.

Even though some think they can control it, the weather will do what it wants and there are far more important things to deal with.

best wishes.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, cold snowy Winters
2 hours ago, AmatuerMet1963 said:

Finally both ECM and GFS seem to be on same page as todays longer range forecast from Susan Powell from the BBC earlier today. Both models have been very far apart recently but todays Windys shows not a lot of difference for Saturday this week.  I recently noticed a good comment from an animal lover and bird enthusiast about noting nature pointers, which mainly are actually more  certain than computers. This morning at 8am, I saw what looked like a scene out of "The Day After Tomorrow"  , many flocks or skeins of birds were filling the sky at around 1000 feet.    That's unusual for this time of year.   I dont have to tell you what heading they were on do I.???...yep WEST out to the coasts of Blackpool or Liverpool or even Ireland. Where the freeze will be tempered some what by the mini climate that surrounds North West Britain. The small birds remain to be feeding heavily in our gardens, and will totally rely on us to keep them alive through this 10 day freeze. see more about saving your garden birds at the RSPB site!!!

So here are the two maps from ECM and GFS for one day this weekend.  Theres also a huge low pressure system 952mb with very tight icobars off the Atlantic.  GFS has it sinking south, while ECM has it steady increasing the chance of blizzards almost anywhere as mean winds are associated with is up to 27mph.... I will still need to see it in Lancashire to believe snow will fall,  But Im more hopeful than a few days ago, But honestly this will possible cripple the covid vaccine turnout, if towns and citys get heavy snow, along with stranded vehicles and other problems. Spare a thought for Amanda Owen and Clive at the Yorkshire farm afar at Ravenseat, where most of my relations live not far on the high town called "Richmond", off scotch corner,M1 A1. they have already sent snaps to us off vast mounts of snow over 7-8 days already.

Below, both models are agreeing to wintry weather by  Saturday the 6th February.  BBC weather seems to be following more or less the ECMS tracking.  To my mind the GFS seems to make a poor job of creating a coherent forecast.. that flies in opposition of other mainstream sources. stay safe and get your sledge bought before they all sell out!!!

windy saturday 6th february. ECMWF NEW.JPG

windy saturday 6th february. GFS NEW.JPG

You aren't a million miles from me, and it looks like on all these maps we are virtually the only place to not be expecting snow !! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

A bit of a strange statement that.

Wouldn’t you think that more frequent snow showers would give a risk of accumulations rather than a risk of ice, especially given that temperatures should be at a level where even daytime thawing isn’t likely.

it is the fence sitting BBC though so it’s understandable and the conclusion will probably lie somewhere between that and the end of days headlines dreamed up by the daily newspapers.

one thing is certain though, if a warning is shown across this region and it turns out to be for the risk of ice there will be some mightily peed of members, especially if the warnings in the rest of the country are for heavy drifting snow

TBH mate, in this situation I'd much rather warnings pop up at short notice than the ones 5 days away that constantly get watered down.

I can see warnings being issued for possibly Sunday, but IF those streamers get going then definitely for Monday & Tuesday.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Day 10 said:

TBH mate, in this situation I'd much rather warnings pop up at short notice than the ones 5 days away that constantly get watered down.

I can see warnings being issued for possibly Sunday, but IF those streamers get going then definitely for Monday & Tuesday.

I maybe, it’s very much a nowcast situation.

the Meto snow symbols are back again for me on Monday and Tuesday after going walkabout earlier so hopefully something is raising their confidence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder storms, hot and sunny

Long time lurker here, yes the March 2013 event was one of three biggest snowfalls I've seen here since moving up here 20+ years ago (along with January 2010 and Feb/March 2018), see pictures from the time. To @cheshire snow your posts will be missed if you choose not to again. As others have said, the ignore facility is very useful for blocking out some of the "noise".

Hopefully we'll see something similar next week, and hopefully across the entire region. 

IMG_1966.JPG

29035_350639471721578_1892352641_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I like the weather here in South Cheshire. Take today, dry from the word go and not too chilly. If we get snow next weekend / week, then so be it, but if not, I shall have won my prediction of 0cm of snow for the area. And there are often little surprises to see, for example opening the curtains one  evening recently and seeing some totally unexpected snow falling from the sky. OK, we have a bit of a micro-climate here in Crewe, with weather at odds with Chester, Stoke and even Alsager, but that's the way I like it. I've often got lost recently on the NW discussion page, with all its technicalities, but I'll keep looking and contributing when I can.  

Being honest I find the difference Alsager and say Talke lights by the Toby fascinating. I live just down from the lights off the A34 in Butt Lane, however many times I been on a taxi job from Alsager with no Snow to Snow at Talke. Just that little bit of extra height.

• Like 2

Posted

Back in March 2018 we did pretty well on the western side of the Pennines although the Helm wind did whip up what snow there was into crazy drifts in places. Seeing as we have managed to miss out on nearly all the snow events so far this winter I'm hoping we will benefit next week. The snow shadow effect from a weak easterly or from the south or west means that invariably we end up with nothing.

Of course, when its raining, there's no such problem!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
16 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Nice to see you posting on here again NWS, but some things are more important than the weather. Hope everything turns out Ok for you and your family.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

image.thumb.png.8ebd0ccc38c5e58499c283f27edb0c28.png

The only way chorley will see a dusting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
20 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Sort of know where your coming from. Same issue with my 14 year old. Shielding and still waiting for appointments at Manchester Childrens hospital for over 12 months.

Hope things work out and stay safe.

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
17 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

image.thumb.png.8ebd0ccc38c5e58499c283f27edb0c28.png

The only way chorley will see a dusting.

Same streamer showing in a few runs now, not to be taken seriously is it spah1 but eyebrows are raised a little

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Just looking at some low clouds at back of my house which faces SSE and the clouds are going left to right so Easterly in the making.

Posted
36 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

Being honest I find the difference Alsager and say Talke lights by the Toby fascinating. I live just down from the lights off the A34 in Butt Lane, however many times I been on a taxi job from Alsager with no Snow to Snow at Talke. Just that little bit of extra height.

meir heath is a different world compared to the rest of stoke on trent. grew up there and being 250+m up is insane driving home rain Hanley rain longton sleet meir and white out conditions meir heath used to love it as a kid not being able to get to school and the school in stone not believing we were snowed in only 5 miles away

Posted

Any of you guys good with computers?

I have an Acer Aspire XC-885 Desktop that does not boot up properly, I get these 3 messages:

Setup settings error or CMOS checksum error or CMOS battery error.

I've narrowed it down to the first 2 as I replaced the battery today.

Struggling to find the exact advice online, any clues?

I'm not a total novice with computers so if it's a case of changing some settings then i can do.

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

I actually managed to get the garden weeded and tidied this afternoon. Fine rain stopped play though. 

• Like 2

Posted

I'm still sticking by my original punt of 0cm here of course but that Humber-Liverpool streamer keeps popping up in the models. We've seen it deliver before - maybe I was too hasty in saying 0 (I hope so anyway.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The Great 2021 BFTE Snow Depth Prediction

....................Deadline Past.....................

Will be interesting to see what we all get. 

Frosty the Snowman - Blackburn 15cm

Andypvfc - Cheshire 2cm

iand61 Bacup - 10-30cm

Snow Free Zone - 0cm

Joe Snow - Sandbach 4cm

Slidergate 17 Sale 2cm

Winter Hill - Horwich - 10cm

Chicken Soup - Blackburn - dusting 

William Glossop - 15cm

Osca31 - Brigrigg Cumbria- 1cm

Robbo - Hattersley - 8cm

Cheshire Snow - Northwich - 12cm

Chris78 - Preston - 1cm

Raul_sbd - Sale - 3cm

Thundersnow - Carlisle - 0.5 cm

Dy 10 - 5cm - Wirral 

SnowWatcher2 - High Crompton - 8cm

Face Like Thunder - Crewe - 0cm

Fellmike - Crewe - 2cm

ManchesterSunset - Stockport - 5cm

Swainclubber - Littleborough - 7cm

Mark Blackpool 2cm

Had Worse - Glossop - 19.05cm

Kasim - Buxton - 16cm

Hailseizertoo - Wavertree - 6cm

Dkeane3 - South Manchester - 3cm

JamesM - Saddleworth- 12cm

Jam2010 - north Manchester 4.5 cm

Captaincroc - Halmer End - 14cm

Mark88 - Merseyside- 0cm

Shaun L - Wallasey - 3cm

toccylad - Mossley Hill - 0cm

Snowmad79 - Sholver - 30cm

Fell Mike - Crewe - 15cm

Ramp - Newhey - 14cm

Weather History - Irlam - 0.5cm

Crewe Cold 1c

Miamay Liverpool 0cm

Dodge - Oldham - 4cm

Loubie_4 - Maghull - 4cm

Dexter - Northwich 2cm

Cumbria Marra 0cm

SP1986 - Heswall -0

Pip - Clayton-le-Woods 3cm

Iceaxecrampon - Salwick - dusting

Georgiesnow- Morecambe- 1cm

Snowdrifter - Lytham - 0.5cm

Joggs - Bingley - 6.5 cm

Joe Bloggs - Withington - 5cm 

Deadline 5pm Thursday 

£5 to the Winner for a fish Supper! 

Final measurements on concrete 5pm Wednesday, allow for drifting - best guess. 

Edited by Spah1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, onehitwanderer said:

Long time lurker here, yes the March 2013 event was one of three biggest snowfalls I've seen here since moving up here 20+ years ago (along with January 2010 and Feb/March 2018), see pictures from the time. To @cheshire snow your posts will be missed if you choose not to again. As others have said, the ignore facility is very useful for blocking out some of the "noise".

Hopefully we'll see something similar next week, and hopefully across the entire region. 

IMG_1966.JPG

29035_350639471721578_1892352641_n.jpg

Welcome aboard.

we’re a pretty friendly bunch in the NW regional thread as we all share the same problem of wanting snow but living in the poorest part of the country for getting it.

keep your expectations low and you won’t be disappointed though and if you want a snow fix and, as like me you live close to the border, just do a virtual and COVID compliant visit into the Yorkshire thread

• Like 2