Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
1 hour ago, Interitus said:

Most of the North west typically gets naff all from an easterly, BFTE was no different. Sure, maybe a few cm here and there, and if that floats your boat then fair enough, but it's not the foot plus that some charts are touting for eg the eastern side of the Pennines or East Anglia.

59 minutes ago, chris78 said:

For some in the region easterlies are great.     Now for me out on the West a big fall is incredibly unlikely, so for anyone living in those areas your get real comment would apply to every single snow forecast ever made/   i think lots of us here look at others in the N.West predicting ONLY 8cm of snow with disappointment and think...you dojnt your born!  

Messages *BANKED*

Should be interesting......

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
25 minutes ago, Manchester_Sunset said:

There is this one tho

Screenshot_20210204-123329.png

Not a chance it would reach us

For some in the region easterlies are great.     Now for me out on the West a big fall is incredibly unlikely, so for anyone living in those areas your get real comment would apply to every single snow forecast ever made/   i think lots of us here look at others in the N.West predicting ONLY 8cm of snow with disappointment and think...you dojnt your born!  

People are bigging it up, it's *possible* that there could be widespread notable depths, but the balance of probability is that it is unlikely and it will pale in to insignificance compared to other regions which will be worse affected. Without some frontal activity, that is the reality of the situation for most parts of this region away from the Pennines.

Edited by Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Think M6 is always a decent marker, to the east quite likely to see at least falling snow, to the west more likely grey laden sky and pointless freezing wind lol

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Spah1 said:

Not a chance it would reach us

Why?

Shows on GFS 06 - miles off though.

Posted
Just now, Beano said:

Think M6 is always a decent marker, to the east quite likely to see at least falling snow, to the west more likely grey laden sky and pointless freezing wind lol

Yep M6 is a decent marker you’re right , that was the case in BFTE.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Beano said:

Sounds like.....

Preston!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Most of the North west typically gets naff all from an easterly, BFTE was no different. Sure, maybe a few cm here and there, and if that floats your boat then fair enough, but it's not the foot plus that some charts are touting for eg the eastern side of the Pennines or East Anglia.

Simply not true I'm afraid. I can't speak for Western parts of the region having not lived here that long, but I can assure you from personal experience that Eastern parts of the region can and have seen significant amount of snow from an Easterly, several inches on occasions.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, chris78 said:

It was a balanced post.

As for your other point. To be fair a lot of those predicting 'only X' are predicting with our own experiences in mind as that prediction comp is 'in our back yard'. 

I had 4-5inches of snow - around 10cm from an event earlier in January that delivered a fraction of that to @chicken soup who lives a mile or so from me but doesn't have the benefit of being just under 200m above sea level, I'm fully aware for those further west and at lower levels even seeing a few cms from this set up will make their days, but in a spot that did well the rest of winter where we've already had 4-5inches or around 10-12cm from snow events this winter, anything below that would be dissapointing from what I've long regarded as the 'holy grail' of weather events due to the fact I lived in the north east for many years and was there when the 2010 Beast delivered 1ft of level snow that lasted for weeks, the idea that the upper expectations of an Easterly for many over here is a possible few cms is difficult to adjust too. 

As mentioned above though, there seems to be enough of a real Easterly orientation to this it could throw us into one of those rare 'good for the NW' Easterlies by all accounts. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, Dexter said:

Simply not true I'm afraid. I can't speak for Western parts of the region having not lived here that long, but I can assure you from personal experience that Eastern parts of the region can and have seen significant amount of snow from an Easterly, several inches on occasions.

I think you obviously have to factor in the height. W Lancs after the "mountainous" hill protection of Parlick Fairsnape Ward Stone flattens out just a little bit and is next to a nice body of warm water.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Where are you from for a start!?

Edited by Paul

Posted
5 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Sounds like.....

Preston!

Preston must be the worst place in the north of the country for snow to be honest, especially once you go through the town centre out towards Blackpool. 

You seem to not get anything from a Westerly flow as it's too marginal, but has sorted it out by the time it gets to Blackburn, and then when we get to Easterlies the precipitation kills itself around Darwen/Blackburn. I've only lived here a few years and the amount of good snow events I've seen here that haven't been seen in Preston is bonkers 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dexter said:

Ok, lol, and on these occasions what were depths like in other parts of the country? It's almost like people are insinuating that this area is a match for other areas for snow showers in an easterly, it beggars belief!

Posted
8 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

It was a balanced post.

As for your over point. To be fair a lot of those predicting 'only X' are predicting with our own experiences in mind as that prediction comp is 'in our back yard'. 

I had 4-5inches of snow - around 10cm from an event earlier in January that delivered a fraction of that to @chicken soup who lives a mile or so from me but doesn't have the benefit of being just under 200m above sea level, I'm fully aware for those further west and at lower levels even seeing a few cms from this set up will make their days, but in a spot that did well the rest of winter where we've already had 4-5inches or around 10-12cm from snow events this winter, anything below that would be dissapointing from what I've long regarded as the 'holy grail' of weather events due to the fact I lived in the north east for many years and was there when the 2010 Beast delivered 1ft of level snow that lasted for weeks, the idea that the upper expectations of an Easterly for many over here is a possible few cms is difficult to adjust too. 

As mentioned above though, there seems to be enough of a real Easterly orientation to this it could throw us into one of those rare 'good for the NW' Easterlies by all accounts. 

Oh yes I wasnt be critical of the predictions...just that when you hear someone down the road disappointed that they may get deeper snow than we have had here in decades, it puts into perspective how snowless it is here. 

Edited by chris78
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chris78 said:

Oh yes I want be critical of the predictions...just that when you hear someone down the right disappointed that they may get deeper snow than we have had here in decades, it puts into perspective how snowless it is here. 

The more ridiculous part is some of us only live about 10 miles from you. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Yep M6 is a decent marker you’re right , that was the case in BFTE.

Haha yes it was with the BFTE wasn't it! Felt more like a poodle with a nasty nip in the west Lol

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Interitus said:

Ok, lol, and on these occasions what were depths like in other parts of the country? It's almost like people are insinuating that this area is a match for other areas for snow showers in an easterly, it beggars belief!

That is what you are inferring, it is not what people are saying.   Christ mate its a weather forum, the models are showing snow, and you are making out we cant be interested.   Plus if I get a 2cm of snow (I wont)  or if someone in Blackburn gets 8cm (they might)  Why should either of us give a lemon that someone else has 2 foot.    That is a very mean spirited way to look at it.    If I win a million on the lottery should I not be happy because someone else won 10? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Interitus said:

Nobody is saying that. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
2 minutes ago, Interitus said:

To be fair, I don't believe anyone has said that, but you are of course entitled to your opinion. Furthermore, so what if depths are greater elsewhere, that doesn't suddenly make a few inches of snow an insignificant event in the North West in an Easterly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Preston must be the worst place in the north of the country for snow to be honest, especially once you go through the town centre out towards Blackpool. 

You seem to not get anything from a Westerly flow as it's too marginal, but has sorted it out by the time it gets to Blackburn, and then when we get to Easterlies the precipitation kills itself around Darwen/Blackburn. I've only lived here a few years and the amount of good snow events I've seen here that haven't been seen in Preston is bonkers 

That's true, I'm still in the office and live just outside Preston in Penwortham. over the last few weeks my work mate from Blackburn has come in with at least a couple of inches still in his car from different falls, Preston? Salt spray and mud

The good thing about Preston is, errr I'll get back to you lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well not much to say is there fully agree with @CreweCold no matter what you post either negative or positive there is always someone to shoot you down been on this forum for 11 years now and mostly been a good experience and made alot of friends @Day 10 will send you a PM but maybe I'm getting a bit to old for all this squabbling and should spend some time away from this forum.Will stay in touch with the genuine friends I have made in here but for now my time in here is over and no before anyone responds with you will be back when it snows erm no I won't.

Stay safe guys hope this virus does one soon and I hope you get all the snow you deserve.

@Interitus never mentioned anything about snow amounts had a go at the game @Spah1 set up for some fun and my post was a genuine outline of what I could expect in my local area over the next seven days.

Always shot down if you are positive Always shot down if you are negative.

Whats the point?..........

Goodbye

C.S

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Interitus said:

Nobody is suggesting that. What we are suggesting is there's a real possibility with either an organised trough or a straight easterly rather a north easterly, we could see some serious snow depths at least as far as the M6 line and quite possibly beyond it. 

The intensity of the upcoming snow spell, combined with the low pressure of it opens up the door to some real potential. Of course Yorkshire would probably get even more, but quite frankly if Yorkshire got even more buried, meaning we get some proper snow depths I'd take it. 

The idea an easterly means we'll only see concrete over this side of the country is nutty. 2018 delivered a reasonably moderate snowfall to this area, but it was much nicer snow - sadly it blew around too much to make any use of for pretty pictures, but the intensity of that blizzard was glorious. I'd love to see another event like that which Westerly's just cannot deliver here as they are always too wet, even if 'depth' isn't narnia levels. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, cheshire snow said:

Well not much to say is there fully agree with @CreweCold no matter what you post either negative or positive there is always someone to shoot you down been on this forum for 11 years now and mostly been a good experience and made alot of friends @Day 10 will send you a PM but maybe I'm getting a bit to old for all this squabbling and should spend some time away from this forum.Will stay in touch with the genuine friends I have made in here but for now my time in here is over and no before anyone responds with you will be back when it snows erm no I won't.

Stay safe guys hope this virus does one soon and I hope you get all the snow you deserve.

@Interitus never mentioned anything about snow amounts had a go at the game @Spah1 set up for some fun and my post was a genuine outline of what I could expect in my local area over the next seven days.

Always shot down if you are positive Always shot down if you are negative.

Whats the point?..........

Goodbye

C.S

I love your airport updates, I’m only a lurker here but it’s a real shame to read this. 

I also think your post was extremely balanced. Don’t take any notice. 

• Like 9

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dexter said:

No one is suggesting the E of the region doesn't stand a good chance of seeing snow.  I've said before this thread could do with being split into W of the M6 and E of the M6 during winter.  You'll see the differences over the weekend and why for those to the west for snow, an easterly is nothing to get excited about.  The 2018 "beast" gave nothing here, whilst places to the south (chorley/euxton) and even west (southport/tarleton) of here got plastered. Thats from my personal experience

• Like 1