North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Morning all,

Upbeat and positive this morning, things are counting down to T+0

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Okay. Probably time to wheel out a debate that was being had a week or two ago with regards to preferences. 

Would you rather have a foot of the wet snow we normally get from the westerly events or 3-4 inches of powder snow that could be possible from an easterly?

Honestly think I'd take the latter. 

You'd take the proper snow, but we never get snow from an easterly here just cold and dry whilst we see the reports of chaos and a countrywide blanket of snow ..... apart from this one little oasis of green

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
3 minutes ago, Manchester_Sunset said:

Gotta feeling Yorkshire will gobble it all up again.. 

Not with the forecast wind and thicknesses they won’t.

• Like 3

Posted

If narnia hits, our regional thread will be ticking over pages as fast as the cost of diesel at the fuel pump.

Anyway, I've given the heads up to a few key workers that live close to me about the need to have a shovel , blankets etc in their cars.

Theres only one 'A' road into and out of Glossop / Hollingworth in the Manchester direction and when this gets bad, its a snarl up and nothing moves.

• Like 7

Posted
6013bb9d14395.jpg
WWW.QUESTMEDIANETWORK.CO.UK

A man who helped thousands of drivers to avoid hold-ups, closed roads and constant delays has died suddenly after a short illness.

I had noticed that our Glossop Online page wasn't working. It was a brilliant site that had road info both in and external to Glossop.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Haven’t had a look at the charts this morning although the mood in here seems pretty upbeat so is everything still looking good for the weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Had Worse said:
6013bb9d14395.jpg
WWW.QUESTMEDIANETWORK.CO.UK

A man who helped thousands of drivers to avoid hold-ups, closed roads and constant delays has died suddenly after a short illness.

I had noticed that our Glossop Online page wasn't working. It was a brilliant site that had road info both in and external to Glossop.

Very sad his site was very useful for glossop and surrounding areas... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

The mood seems to be good in the mod thread, so I'm assuming a Thames streamer is in the pipeline.

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

You'd take the proper snow, but we never get snow from an easterly here just cold and dry whilst we see the reports of chaos and a countrywide blanket of snow ..... apart from this one little oasis of green

The setup looks much better than the usual dry Scandinavian High that only hits the south east. One of your best snowfalls in 1996 was thanks to an easterly!

• Like 2

Posted

How come it’s showing everybody’s location now it used to before then it disappeared 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
3 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Very sad his site was very useful for glossop and surrounding areas... 

It's so sad I found out over weekend and I was wondering why glossop online was offline again.

They are trying to find someone to take over the site so it may be offline a while.

RIP

• Like 1

Posted

Though not to be taken literally, the automated forecast for this location shows predominantly slate grey skies throughout Sun, Mon and Tues and largely dry, which is what I would expect in an Easterly here. This far West, we will probably be reliant on troughs and disturbances in the flow to see anything significant. Eastern parts of the region should do well though.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Though not to be taken literally, the automated forecast for this location shows predominantly slate grey skies throughout Sun, Mon and Tues and largely dry, which is what I would expect in an Easterly here. This far West, we will probably be reliant on troughs and disturbances in the flow to see anything significant. Eastern parts of the region should do well though.

I know they’re automated and change hourly sometimes but beeb and met going for light snow/snow showers pretty much continuously Saturday through Thursday here... 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
4 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

I know they’re automated and change hourly sometimes but beeb and met going for light snow/snow showers pretty much continuously Saturday through Thursday here... 

Same here 

Screenshot_20210203-093519.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Not looking forward to the next 10 days. 

If I lived Central or in the East i'd be like a kid on Christmas Eve. 

Its painful to watch the whole country enjoy snow when nothing falls here. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.

Hope others get snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

Yeah, looking good for your location. Features will crop up at short notice and they'll likely be some surprises. Even if we don't get much, I'd take cold and dry over mild and damp/wet Atlantic dross any day of the week.

• Like 1

Posted

Let's see if this signal for a few days of snow flurries is maintained up to Friday... only then I can get on board. Up to then I reckon a few cold,dry frosty days will be the order of the day in my locale IMO.

Screenshot_20210203-094221_Weather&Radar.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

I am quite optimistic in our chances of snow. Yes, we won't compare to the east, they are going to get battered! But the air looks extremely unstable with low thicknesses so I reckon there might be a few organised fronts passing the country, or periods of snow popping up at last min, especially if the uppers get modelled downwards nearer the time (as what happens a lot).

Even a few cm of blowing snow would be cool to see...but obviously I want more!! haha.

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Not looking forward to the next 10 days. 

If I lived Central or in the East i'd be like a kid on Christmas Eve. 

Its painful to watch the whole country enjoy snow when nothing falls here. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.

Hope others get snow. 

Normally,  I'd say it's 2 train rides away for you to get to Glossop but I can't condone you doing a non essential journey. 

Yes we have a Tesco. M&S Food, Aldi and soon Lidl but I'm sure you have the equivalent in Chorley.

Myself and @WillinGlossop will send you video updates as we struggle despairingley to cope.

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Manchester_Sunset said:

Same here 

Screenshot_20210203-093519.png

Don't take too much stock in these 

3 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Normally,  I'd say it's 2 train rides away for you to get to Glossop but I can't condone you doing a non essential journey. 

Yes we have a Tesco. M&S Food, Aldi and soon Lidl but I'm sure you have the equivalent in Chorley.

Myself and @WillinGlossop will send you video updates as we struggle despairingley to cope.

Even if Covid wasn't a factor have you seen how bad the trains get in these kind of easterlies. It might be two train rides to get there, gid knows how he's get back blockquote widget

• Like 1