Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Gfs mean more slidey at 162 hours

Aye, control good! my guess is, first front will end up in France hopefully keeping N sea snow going into Thurs/Fri

gens-0-1-168.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
8 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

-14 uppers into the east on the para at 150.

This is definitely a beast.

gfs-1-150 (1).png

I only see -10s with -12 clipping south east or are my eyes deceiving me

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

I think that’s pretty disingenuous. Gfs was the model that sniffed the Iberian low pushing quickly northeast to engage our sinking low over the Low Countries. It just made a mess of that interaction and had it a little too far west.  The experience watchers on here dismissed the mess it was making of the meeting of the two air masses but were cautious about ignoring it completely. and they were right to do that. 

The much maligned GEFS were good IMO picking up the signal, ok they messed about at the shorter timeframe shifting the mean forth an back about 2 or 3 degrees over 1 suite at times but that was just a wobble really, most of the time they were rock solid before the EPS fully came on board.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
58 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Still seeing the trend.  Met have dropped Bournemouth 2 degrees for mon Tuesday wed. 2 max now.

C683A08F-BB24-43F6-91F0-F2EB0A4DE918.png

C18FEFD7-6CBE-4727-BDCB-2F30DEDC59FF.png

And for Bournemouth to be 2c that is really cold.  Sub zero for many 

BFTP

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

Can see visually here the difference compared to the 00z run... Breakdown held back for sure.

gensnh-31-0-180 (3).png

gensnh-31-0-186 (2).png

.....yep, I don't think that front will end up anywhere near the sw come Thursday in reality!

• Like 2

Posted

GFS ensembles are really struggling to get the first LP too far north, and sliding it off to the east.

This is a mixed blessing, it keeps the country in colder air for longer BUT the upstream low I've got to admit looks beefy. I suspect regardless of what the 1st low does (IMO it may well slide over the SW and into the channel) the 2nd one will come through like a steam train, and if thats the case it may be a literally leading edge snow-rain event, especially the further south you are.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
On 03/02/2021 at 07:48, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Well if we are talking models as they stand and not what might tweak as we get there the ECM, UKMO AND GFS 00z (certainly the runs I’m looking at) are very snowy for S and SE too.  Cold dominating and holding and going on.  There’s no “Midlands North” about those runs.

BFTP

And the domination of the cold leads to longevity.  Plenty of signs that an Atlantic incursion will be disrupted and forced under.  This is real deal cold coming with ‘hanging around’ snow on the ground.  The UKMO is a brilliant run, they all are tbf

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

I wish we could have the charts @ICE COLD posts for the para, it's hard to make out but I think it is -14

Yer it is a shame the gfsp doesn’t update on that site I use for them charts . It does look between -13 and -14  tho . Brilliant runs just keep coming . 

E86E593E-2103-4B8C-BCE1-79A5471662D8.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

I wish we could have the charts @ICE COLD posts for the para, it's hard to make out but I think it is -14

Pretty hard on my phone but the arrow points to where the -14 is. If we can get the low out west to disrupt and head under the cold block there'd be a good chance of getting that even colder beasterly air moving towards us

Screenshot_20210204-110638.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
6 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Actually if you look on the normal gfs at around the T100 mark -13 850s are in east anglia

8808DBDF-EBFD-41D7-AD62-EB96DD76D485.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

GFS ensembles are really struggling to get the first LP too far north, and sliding it off to the east.

This is a mixed blessing, it keeps the country in colder air for longer BUT the upstream low I've got to admit looks beefy. I suspect regardless of what the 1st low does (IMO it may well slide over the SW and into the channel) the 2nd one will come through like a steam train, and if thats the case it may be a literally leading edge snow-rain event, especially the further south you are.

You know what. If we get 6 days of ice days and streamers as is currently model in exchange for the breakdown you describe.. it's Deal! Mr banker!

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, ICE COLD said:

Actually if you look on the normal gfs at around the T100 mark -13 850s are in east anglia

8808DBDF-EBFD-41D7-AD62-EB96DD76D485.png

I prefer these views. Much easier to see the actual values. Cheers for that

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, jason6347 said:

Hi are these charts a good guide usually?

Like all automated ppn charts a pinch of salt is needed , they are off the GFS 6z ...............its a guidance for sure and helps with the set up but never ever take them as gospel 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I hope everyone sees some snow this weekend, it seems the south west will see the least but who know, although for the first time Scotland could see the least snow over the weekend.

The snow could reach crazy depths in places Like London by the second day of Snow, I expect that the 4 or 5 day period will peak on Sunday-Monday and that a blizzard commitee should be held.

It's almost definilty going to happen hope everybody get's some Snow here's some Precipitation Charts to get your appetite up.

image.thumb.png.dc88138c65ff58d4e4d49d1858f3504d.pngimage.thumb.png.2329ced2e5f4b53f8ee1d77158f0d9ec.png

Xander