Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
28 minutes ago, snowspotter said:

Yes probably , the trend is for a more prolonged cold spell across all the models . Just this particular run brings in sw winds . 6 hours earlier the GFS run. was more prolonged

aah yes, I did see that the 00z was very good for prolonged with slider after slider.

Posted
16 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Everything from Sunday until Thursday.

Very good. the comment I was replying to was regarding the further outlook I believe rather than that period

Posted
42 minutes ago, ptow said:

Am I missing something. the GFS06z has sw winds and postive 850's right up the country by next Thurs?

That's 8 days away! Not even worth worrying about!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
7 minutes ago, Vadoseflame said:

Real it in lads! Cold IS coming. Snow risk won’t be certain until much closer but exciting times ahead! We deserve this❄️

28223A1B-95CA-423C-A9B1-C8D62B94F550.jpeg

That's interesting that shows some of the coldest anomalies to the east and south east by the 9th...I wouldn't have thought that browsing through a few of the models and the 850 uppers. Marco P does like a ramp (as he's been doing all this winter).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
10 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

That's 8 days away! Not even worth worrying about!

Struck me as funny.....because how much do we stress about cold showing in charts eight days away and convince ourselves its coming?

I do agree with you, it just reminded me of what us coldaholics do! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

That's interesting that shows some of the coldest anomalies to the east and south east by the 9th...I wouldn't have thought that browsing through a few of the models and the 850 uppers. Marco P does like a ramp (as he's been doing all this winter).

Hopefully, seeing as most of the models agree on two things: heat building out of North Africa and a potential snow-fest over Central/Northern Europe, once we're done with the BFTE, a rapid switch into summer will occur... 1947 anyone?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow
48 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

or the ECM easterly in 2012 that mysteriously vanished just before it was due

Is that 'That ECM' that people here refer to?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
20 minutes ago, Vadoseflame said:

Real it in lads! Cold IS coming. Snow risk won’t be certain until much closer but exciting times ahead! We deserve this❄️

Looks like ‘Midlands North’ event

BFTP 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Hopefully, seeing as most of the models agree on two things: heat building out of North Africa and a potential snow-fest over Central/Northern Europe, once we're done with the BFTE, a rapid switch into summer will occur... 1947 anyone?

I'd be surprised if the cold lasts much beyond next week...deep cold on our shores rarely lasts beyond 5 days-week, but apparently the SSW warmings continue and yes with such warmth over southern Europe and deep cold to the north there's going to be a big dumping somewhere! Bring it to East Anglia I say

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
22 minutes ago, Vadoseflame said:

It looks like shift south east with colder temperatures maybe one to watch models haven’t picked up yet

• Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Latest BBC monthly says cold easterlies Russian Airmass staying through Mid Feb. Get the cold in first, and if often is hard to get rid of - #slidersville!! 

Recent ECM ensembles say a bit fat "no" to easterlies in mid Feb - very SWly at 550mb level on the latest clusters:

image.thumb.png.f56d08675bbbf908e723b76f88fec642.png

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Its simple, he is using 00z GFS which shows the following:

the air is pretty uniform in terms of coldness, whilst its technically colder at 850hpa further north, the temperatures are slightly moderated by a much longer trek over water, whilst further south you have a flow that is actually technically sourced from Europe, which means less modification on that run = as cold despite milder 850hpa profile.

Also, remember the south is milder than the north on average. So if the average for the north is say 4C and 6C for the south and the north ends up at 1c and the south at 2c, guess which area looks colder on that map above??

PS- nice rain event for the SE on Monday on the 00z ECM fwiw....again why its important that the low is placed perfectly otherwise that will happen.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
1 hour ago, ICE COLD said:

Unbelievable morning . I’m so excited . 

Across the board stunning . ECM, UKMO,GEM , GFS ,ICON. 

Im so excited  

E22537C5-8486-41EB-8304-516D10BC4DBC.png

83E8D9DE-9EDC-431E-85D2-DE37162CF89F.png

22F7D9F6-5725-459E-AAB0-D41F667890F2.png

2620A812-E0CA-4C64-8697-BAC709760AD0.png

4AACFE1D-D4A8-4B2D-9361-19F12B7C943F.png

47CE3EF4-A2CD-4F78-985E-C8F095CD07A0.png

FEF36193-57F1-4CCF-8B9A-E80FBDDF2914.png

69CEC8CC-88FF-4EDF-8CCD-72BAFD5F0683.png

FB532C1D-6889-4D89-B181-013CF234C460.png

D7382A02-8120-442E-AB7E-BB15D15C8CA2.png

hmm that's on my birthday, i may not have a big interest in snow but it would be nice to see then the dreaded boring stuff that has happened here all winter

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
5 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Recent ECM ensembles say a bit fat "no" to easterlies in mid Feb - very SWly at 550mb level on the latest clusters:

image.thumb.png.f56d08675bbbf908e723b76f88fec642.png

To be fair though these ensembles were showing a good chance of easterlies since the beginning of Jan and its only now its coming to fruition over a month later. These can flip as much as the op runs imo.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

Should we expect Ice Days from this Easterly and how do the modelled temps fare compared with the previous 2018 BFTE? Are there any similarities? Thanks

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

Mouthwatering output this morning.

It's great to see that GFS and GEFS finally gave up their resistance to bring in the cold, so now we have all the big models and ensembles agreeing on the initial arrival of cold within the more reliable timeframe. A failure of that happening is getting more and more unlikely now.
Let's get it within 24h-48h to see where it will snow, and how much might fall. Absolutely no need to panic about lack of snow in the output for your location yet.

Next thing to look for, at the edge of FI and beyond, is the longevity of this thing.
Most Operationals and ensembles show the increasing Atlantic influence, and I think they are right on that part.

However, will it drive away the cold?
Experience tells us that models usually push out the cold too fast. It is quite likely that the cold will offer more resistance than the models 'think' and that will rise opportunities for heights to build in the cold, heavy, and therefore sinking airmass.
If that happens, the incoming Atlantic will only work to reinforce those heights and therefore extend the cold spell.
I was delighted to see this happening in the GFS 0z.

520053135_GFS-1923feb0.thumb.png.da7cc79e8ff26ace165b2e0c60e04c82.png

This Scandi High development is a thing to look for over the coming days. A number of GEFS perturbations show variations of this too.

I am not convinced by the extended EPS output in that regard. Yes, things could work out as shown on the clusters, but I've seen that switch to cold in the plumes before.
Let's get that cold pattern in first and worry later.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

So TBF we enter a period of nowcasting, Slight adjustments likely for weekend on against any big switch, and any small adjustments can have knock on effects down the line.  Been an enjoyable winter model watch thus far

BFTP

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Also, remember the south is milder than the north on average. So if the average for the north is say 4C and 6C for the south and the north ends up at 1c and the south at 2c, guess which area looks colder??

Oh yes agree, but at this time of the year south east max temps aren't much different to say further north i.e. Lincolnshire, maybe a degree difference...but yes agree with the sea track to the north with moderation.

Let's hope we just can make small incremental shifts of that low pressure to the east or south east by Sunday and then a lot of areas will be in the game than showing already .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
13 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Looks like ‘Midlands North’ event

BFTP 

I know and we miss out ..................gutted lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
10 minutes ago, birdman said:

Should we expect Ice Days from this Easterly and how do the modelled temps fare compared with the previous 2018 BFTE? Are there any similarities? Thanks

Not sure how this may play at part but how much of a difference is there between -10 TO -12 uppers showing for next week compared to -14 TO -16 like end of Feb/First days of March in beast from east 2018? Would that be low enough to have similar temperatures to BFTE?

Edited by Bullseye
  • Like 2