Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

I know it's hard not to worry about the milder air creeping in past 168 on runs, but take a look at the difference from yesterday 06z run to today's for the same time period...

The most important thing is the really cold air should get in by 72-96 now, almost the reliable timeframe.

History tells us that low pressure tends to struggle against a cold stagnant air mass and it usually takes a few attempts to break it down.

gfs-1-144.png

gfs-1-168.png

Wow.  Big difference there between 168 yesterday and today's 144 for next Tuesday.  Uppers being broadly 10 colder  todays run. 

And to think in the south we only need a couple of degree shaved off to be safe in the initial sliders.   We can work on that I say.

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
3 hours ago, DCee said:

But the ECM has moved towards the GFS and the GFS has stuck with the initial cold for midlands north. So I'm right in my initial analysis thankyou.

Agree with @Djdazzle, once again talking rubbish.

A proper forecaster suggests that the ECM, UKMO & GEM have been the most consistent models since the weekend for this E'ly solution, UKMO in particular - 00Z UKMO would keep the cold in place well into next week & pick of the bunch for that is the 00Z EC with potential frontal snow too.
Goofus can be taken with a pinch of salt. It's on board for now, but not going to take much notice of it going forward if it goes against the consensus again

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
2 minutes ago, MJB said:

image.thumb.png.33402b481998a6f986dff379919826d1.png

Decent enough mean 126h

Yes and when next year's looks like last year's we will realise that it's not just decent it's fantastic

gfs-0-6.png?6

• Like 6

Posted

Control much better for longevity.. 

Heights remain high to our north and force the jet stream south. 

Increasingly cold dense air becomes stubborn to shift and frontal systems slide as they engage it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

Morning all latest GFS beginning to show stronger northern blocking keeping the very cold/cold

north easterly going.My take after initial low pressure to the southeast on Sunday bringing some 

snow,a mostly dry Cold/very cold period with Atlantic lows forced further south due to increased 

pressure rise to the north.

Am I missing something. the GFS06z has sw winds and postive 850's right up the country by next Thurs?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, ptow said:

Am I missing something. the GFS06z has sw winds and postive 850's right up the country by next Thurs?

Yes probably , the trend is for a more prolonged cold spell across all the models . Just this particular run brings in sw winds . 6 hours earlier the GFS run. was more prolonged

Posted
2 minutes ago, ptow said:

No that’s what it’s showing, hopefully beyond Thurs it’s showing as an warm outlier within the suite.

Posted

Looking at the precip ensembles it looks like the op is. Dry outlier (if that’s even a term!) for the south east. Most members have more in the way of showers penetrating well inland (these are for St Evenage ..

3F7946DC-EE7C-4CAB-B44C-56993386F5E5.jpeg

1237969F-CB2B-4FC7-9C69-B5626E9C6EA3.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Something to take note of on the 06z GFS ensembles is that they are becoming increasingly progressive with the LP in the Atlantic between 96-120hrs.

It doesn't have to be a problem away from the far south possibly, as I suspect any push on that low is going to be well south of the UK, but its worth just keeping an eye on in case it gains any traction on the models within the next few suites. 

This is nail biting stuff for the far south indeed but at least we are still in the game, just don't take it as a done deal yet!  I think those further north can just about relax now though!

Posted
1 minute ago, ptow said:

It's 8 days away, model output is highly variable the further away the output is; it possibly won't happen that way, if at all. Don't pay too much attention to the output more than 5 days ahead in this kind of setup, just take it on board and file it away as a possibility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

This is nail biting stuff for the far south indeed but at least we are still in the game, just don't take it as a done deal yet!  I think those further north can just about relax now though!

I know you say this but who can forget January 2019 when the easterly just vanished and we ended up with that warm spell come February 2019 or the ECM easterly in 2012 that mysteriously vanished just before it was due

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

I know you say this but who can forget January 2019 when the easterly just vanished and we ended up with that warm spell come February 2019 or the ECM easterly in 2012 that mysteriously vanished just before it was due

Posted
Just now, SqueakheartLW said:

Yes, that still haunts me today as I'm sure it does many others!  How close did the cold spell come before disappearing on those occasions?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Excellent set of GEFS for my location

image.thumb.png.c532a73f74a24e492536e420567b0f69.png

Well, I thought they were excellent before looking at the north east of England 

image.thumb.png.e4aac689bb7876f820ae4d30cf1b62c5.png

Pretty much as good as it gets for you lot!  

How do I find this please 

Posted
54 minutes ago, kold weather said:

The set-up at 168hrs screams of the precipitation ending up staying over the channel and the cold staying embedded over most of the UK bar perhaps the very far south where an onshore flow will raise temperatures.

Following on from that a stronger attack from the SW gives front edge snow for the south and probably much more sustained snow to the Midlands northwards.

I know we don't see Mogreps. But all models we see are very slowly trending to what it must of been showing all along. Met office saying pressure rises directly north and snow showers into east with Atlantic not getting in next week with it becoming dry.

Suggests low on Sunday still be further south than any model currently shows.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
5 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

How do I find this please 

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Diagrammes des ensembles GEFS de la NOAA (graphes ENS GFS). 21 scénarios de GEFS.

Then just click on your location on the map

• Thanks 1

Posted

The ECM is magnificent for snow across much of UK

Things are looking very promising . I don’t think it will backtrack but another 24hrs of runs will surely solidify confidence 

• Like 3