Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
2 minutes ago, DCee said:

I'd say it's not nationwide. Mainly for the midlands north, the south could well miss out again going on the ensembles...

Really ? Oh my days . . .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, cold snowy Winters

I may not know anything about the models, but I read all the posts most days and all that seems to happen is  over excitement at cold events, that rarely if ever, seem to materialise!!

then everyone just seems to forget that the BOOM cold event that didn't occur existed and moves on to the next potential BOOM event that also then never materialises!!

Why has the BBC & Met office not mentioned this Beast from the East that never arrives???

Maybe its just a reflection on my own personal disappointment that I fall into the trap of getting excited over all your predictions, that as yet never become reality?!!

• Like 6

I don't think its going to be that marginal on the south coast, Those 850 winds are coming from frigid air, even the ones that show a westerly direction right on the South coast circulate from very cold air, not Atlantic!

image.thumb.png.dcb163f09c3509c3577adeb25894517f.png

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
6 minutes ago, DCee said:

I'd say it's not nationwide. Mainly for the midlands north, the south could well miss out again going on the ensembles...

There is no sign of the South missing out on the initial injection of cold from the weekend,let's be clear on that..the esembles are clear here.

Needless to say there is greater Scatter for the South from the 11th as a new scenario is at play ( could certainly be a high reward event for the South)

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Absolutely breath taking runs! 

Dialled in now for anyone midlands North!

For the south much better than yesterday but still very close for comfort.

I hope things correct more south as those of you in the South East have been very unlucky all winter and id like to share some of the snow!

I’d say the SE along with Eastern Scotland is dialled in. The SE will get plummeted in these set ups. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
4 minutes ago, WelfordRd said:

Quick question, I keep hearing the term Midlands Northwards. The Midlands is a big place so wheres the line northwards. Warwick, Birmingham, Derby. Just trying to gauge where the line is? 

North of Hinckley

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WelfordRd said:

Quick question, I keep hearing the term Midlands Northwards. The Midlands is a big place so wheres the line northwards. Warwick, Birmingham, Derby. Just trying to gauge where the line is? 

To early to predict. But the colder air is about where you suggested, so a continuation of the winter theme this year. The south relying on steamers and FI channel runners which may or may not happen in FI.

2 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Your prediction failed yesterday - so you’re trying again today!

The ECM op would be pretty much country wide.

But the ECM has moved towards the GFS and the GFS has stuck with the initial cold for midlands north. So I'm right in my initial analysis thankyou.

Posted

Still a fair way to go so feet on ground maybe?.

Great set no doubt this morning but I want to see this output down to 36 hrs for clarification.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
Just now, DCee said:

To early to predict. But the colder air is about where you suggested, so a continuation of the winter theme this year. The south relying on steamers and FI channel runners which may or may not happen in FI.

It's earlier enough for it to appear on the BEEB and how can it possibly be a continuation of the winter theme , we haven't had Easterlies , this is a brand new chapter my friend , turn the page and read ..................it's a best seller 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Polaris said:

I’d say the SE along with Eastern Scotland is dialled in. The SE will get plummeted in these set ups. 

Some days. Other days very high risk for very high reward. I would say the midlands northwards is far enough north to guarentee at least 3 if not 4 days of cold.

The South East unfortunately is dangerously close to the proximity of low pressure systems and mild air although i hope the South East stays on the right side

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

Crikey, the naysayers are out in force this morning. For anyone in the south worried about the upcoming cold spell....yes things could all look very different on the models tomorrow.

They could be colder!!!

Ha ha ha ha. 

PS I can’t wait for @nick sussex to post later....he’ll be convening a full on COBRA meeting. And when do we start debating 
mesoscale and Polar lows?

Edited by supernova
  • Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, DCee said:

But the ECM has moved towards the GFS and the GFS has stuck with the initial cold for midlands north. So I'm right in my initial analysis thankyou.

You are not correct.

I went on a narow boat holiday a few years ago.

They gave a gadget called a 'bilge pump' on board.

Not sure why it came to mind this morning..

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
14 minutes ago, DCee said:

God, you're a real ray of sunshine, aren't you? You just trolling for responses? 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, supernova said:

Crikey, the naysayers are out in force this morning. For anyone in the south worried about the upcoming cold spell....yes things could all look very different on the models tomorrow.

They could be colder!!!

Ha ha ha ha. 

It’s bizarre right!

With charts from the Latest UKM/ECM if there’s anywhere in England I would want to be in E/SE England in those set ups currently modelled 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 minutes ago, DCee said:

Yes you are correct , no cold over my house eh?

image.thumb.png.d8ccfcad65ff878599b1e504452b616d.png

That's this Sunday 

image.thumb.png.06ad84160e7df8a9069020f14a86dfba.png

Early hours of Monday -10 850's

image.thumb.png.665441bda5f51054cec4e379dff05ec1.png

Tuesday 

The 10cm of snow we had here two weeks back was in -5 850's , don't get so fixated with -10's 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Some of the negativity on here this morning is astounding. The models are showing a cold/very cold spell coming up, south included. 

For lovers of cold there's plenty of reasons to be cheerful and nothing to be negative about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Dimie10 said:

I may not know anything about the models, but I read all the posts most days and all that seems to happen is  over excitement at cold events, that rarely if ever, seem to materialise!!

then everyone just seems to forget that the BOOM cold event that didn't occur existed and moves on to the next potential BOOM event that also then never materialises!!

Why has the BBC & Met office not mentioned this Beast from the East that never arrives???

Maybe its just a reflection on my own personal disappointment that I fall into the trap of getting excited over all your predictions, that as yet never become reality?!!

You just explained why we are all here....! Your awakening to winter model addiction!

• Like 2